Front-end overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
    Where were you 36 hours ago? Oh well I needed new tie rod ends anyway.
    What am I, chopped liver?

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    I used the hammer-on-the-spindle-to-temporarily-deform-the-stud-hole-so-it-lets-go-of-the-stud routine when I pulled my junk apart
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I see that you wrote that now, but at the time it didn't register. I was kind of tired, so maybe I figured that you were actually talking about pulling your *junk* apart.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Sitting in the alignment shop now. Boy that's unnerving when you look up and see a wood-sided station wagon drive by and think "hey, that looks like my car....wait, that is my car! And the guy test driving it is sure hot-rodding around!"
        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

:lol: Nice that he was enjoying it, though!

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
          I see that you wrote that now, but at the time it didn't register. I was kind of tired, so maybe I figured that you were actually talking about pulling your *junk* apart.
          Well! See if I ever post in one of your threads again! (j/k) :smirk:
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well anyway, the alignment is done. Guy at Les Schwab (big pacific NW tire and suspension chain) was very nice, said he loved the car, and did a perfect alignment on it for $50.

The alignment seems to have amplified the positive results tho. The car feels incredible! At one point I was wondering whether all the blood, sweat, tears, and screaming were going to have been worth it. They were.

Although I'll be damned if I'm going to touch that front end for quite awhile.

Next big project:
            HO swap.
            Last edited by 91waggin; 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling fail

Comment

Good to hear you got it all together. Les Schwab does a great job on stuff, great customer service and warranties.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

I have mixed feelings about them. They certainly used to be wonderful, but the customer service at some of the ones near me has gone downhill. Also, their batteries suck and I'm not a big fan of the tires they sell. Go to Costco and get some Michelins. But they did a good alignment for $50.

Comment

does the alignment printout actually show all the numbers where they belong? I've seen (and recieved) "toe and go" alignments before where just the tie rod ends are tweaked to make it go straight down the road, but the caster and camber are ignored. They drive somewhat funny like that.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I didn't get a printout, but I can see where he moved the upper control arms around. And it doesn't drive funny at all. It drives beautifully.

Comment

excellent!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

It's so funny, because it's been slightly out of alignment for as long as I've been driving it, and now to have the alignment on I have to re-learn how to drive the car almost.

Once again, I really appreciate everyone's knowledge and encouragement.

Comment

having a car that drives straight is nice

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What size are the end links needed? I want to replace mine but have no idea how to look for new ones.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I just ordered the ones that were for my car off of rockauto.com Got Moog ones. Other than that, pull an old one, measure them, and take them in to a car parts store.

Comment

Okay so it is that simple. Thanks Graham. Anyone have one handy that they could measure for me?
                                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-11-2010, 02:16 PM.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X