Air injection pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air injection pipe

Any ideas on replacing that pipe that feeds the cats? Mine is pretty rusted up and will most likely need replacing when my exhaust gets changed. Can this be made myself? What can I use? Might be installing the new exhaust this weekend so if the old one bites the dust I just want to have an idea on how to make a replacement.

EDIT I see rock auto has some..still anyone know of a way for myself to make it?
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-17-2010, 07:12 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

They are obsolete from Ford, for the 351, at least. I bought 2 sets for the 351 cars about 4 years ago. They were cheap, and my blue car needed them. Bought those and the nice one use clamps.

When I put headers on my red car, I cut a section out of the tubing and added silicone hose in. That way I could easily route the lines around the exhaust, and keep the thermactor functional.

You should be able to fashion something yourself that'll work fine.

That, or remove the thermactor.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yeah... if you don't have emissions testing... rip all that crap off. To me it's worthless... it robs precious power!

If you do have testing that requires this stuff to be installed (visual inspection), then by all means replace the piping.

But here in Ohio, all we have is tailpipe testing... they could care less if you have your smog stuff on, just as long as you have converters and you are under the emissions limits....so I removed all of mine....plus in a year I am emissions testing exempt.
      '97 Cadillac Catera - 3.0 DOHC V6, 75k
      Soon... Any '95+ Panther!
      CLICK ME! Parts For Sale, SUPER CHEAP!!!

Comment

gah rip that stuff off dont need it to pass inspection although you might need the airpump on for looks, long as you cap the holes in the exhuast up you should be fine,but you also have to plug the holes in the heads as well. i used 5/8 bolts .. i think to cap the holes off for mine,also vac lines capped off heres a pic. far as exhuast goes i talked to the guy that i have inspec my vehicle told him i was putting headers and mustang exhuast on, told him it didnt have cats... so he goes what year i go 87 towncar he goes bring it down wont even look at it lol
        Attached Files
        Last edited by zoomie; 06-17-2010, 10:38 PM.
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I ripped that stuff off when it fell out of the car. large bolts plug the injection pipe on the cats and I put a diverter valve from an 85 mustang (has the filter out the bottom) in place of the valve that was there (pipe out the bottom to the cats). Passed inspection with flying colors and they do emission testing here. I do have the original lopo 302 though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Unforunately, he lives in new york just like me, and we have to have that shit on our cars for them to pass emissions. Dave, i had to do that to mine a year back, and was able to get everything from carquest. The downside is, it cost me, with my discount almost $200. On the upside, everything went in nice, and easy.
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
              Unforunately, he lives in new york just like me, and we have to have that shit on our cars for them to pass emissions. Dave, i had to do that to mine a year back, and was able to get everything from carquest. The downside is, it cost me, with my discount almost $200. On the upside, everything went in nice, and easy.
              Mike
              dont need the thermactor pipes to pass inspection only thing you need is the air pump to be there for looks , same with cats you can hollow them out, , law does not state that it needs to work.. hehe but you do have to make sure to somehow close the holes in th exhuast pipes to be capped off closed,welded otherwise it would fail due to having exhuast leak.
              89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                They are obsolete from Ford, for the 351, at least. I bought 2 sets for the 351 cars about 4 years ago. They were cheap, and my blue car needed them. Bought those and the nice one use clamps.

When I put headers on my red car, I cut a section out of the tubing and added silicone hose in. That way I could easily route the lines around the exhaust, and keep the thermactor functional.

You should be able to fashion something yourself that'll work fine.

That, or remove the thermactor.
                How close to the exhaust end did you end the hose? Did you use a special type of hose or just regular vacuum/fuel line stuff? Mine are rotting but I'm concerned about silicone melting from the heat of the cats.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The silicone hose is a high temperature hose designed especially for this sort of thing. Don't know how well it actually works, but thats what its supposed to be for.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the infor guys...This should have been in the performance section...I will move it...I needed to know if there was a cheap way of making a new pipe from to adapt to my new mustang h pipe..I should have specified. Luckily my dad had TWO brand new ones! He knew of one but I found another one while snooping around, meant for mustangs..it has the one way valve on it too!
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah that's the best way to do it, use the mustang cat-tube parts. I saw how Scott did it to Donalds cruiser and it looks like its supposed to be that way. Also the mustang H-pipe converters only have one inlet anyway, instead of two like boxes.
                      I have some of that high-temp rubber air pipe hose on two of my cars and its holding up great. Though results may vary the closer you are to the converters and the hotter they burn!
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i use a pipe harvested from a mustang/mk7

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          The silicone hose is a high temperature hose designed especially for this sort of thing. Don't know how well it actually works, but thats what its supposed to be for.
                          It works well, I am using it to connect the air injection pipe to the cats, and it works great. If I wanted to though, I could have ordered the new piping from the parts place I do business with. So they are available new.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                            i use a pipe harvested from a mustang/mk7

And that makes everything look super stock correct? I am pretty sure that is what I have now thanks to dad. I like that my dad worked for Ford and hoarded parts lol It benefits both of us in the future.
                            ~David~

Comment

yea it'll look like it was meant to be there with the mustang h pipe

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X