1 Touch Down In a Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 Touch Down In a Box

Ok, so I've gotten the wiring diagram for a '94 Crown Victoria with the one touch down window wiring. It looks pretty self contained within the blue control module in the door panel. I'm going to attempt to install this in vicky. But my real question is, if I ran a second one but to allow it to be a one touch up so to speak, would it interfere with the one touch down module?

Attached Files
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM. Reason: Added pic for easy viewing

don't really see why it should, but my best suggestion is to try it and see what happens. One thing I don't understand is how it knows when the window is fully down. I don't see a window position switch, so does it operate on window motor current load? If thats the case, you may have to use the later style window motor since I suspect the old types suck more current, or at least different amounts of current than the later little motors do.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      don't really see why it should, but my best suggestion is to try it and see what happens. One thing I don't understand is how it knows when the window is fully down. I don't see a window position switch, so does it operate on window motor current load? If thats the case, you may have to use the later style window motor since I suspect the old types suck more current, or at least different amounts of current than the later little motors do.
      It uses the increase in current to shut it off. I'll screw around with it when I get my hands on a control unit. Will the newer style motors bolt to my stock regulators? Just in case...

I doubt it though, since both the new and old systems use a 20amp circuit breaker to control the total circuit.

Comment

I don't think so. The older motors are a little smaller in the bolt pattern but about a quarter inch I think. (I could go measure my 88 and then my 93, but that would require taking that crap apart again and that's a royal PITA).

I know the plastic gear inside the motor housing that the bolts feed through is smaller but a quarter inch than the newer ones and that's what I'm basing this on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you buy a new motor for your car, its the little kind. I'm not sure if say a 1990 motor bolts up to your car, but Dorman makes new replacement motors that are the skinny type. Its possible that the 89-91 box motors bolt directly into older models, but I'd suspect the aero motors are different since they have that cable regulator system.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, I thought I'd let you guys know, that it is possible to hook this up to a box panther. It works fine with my bulky motors, and running two modules (1 up, 1 down) do not conflict with each other.

Cars you can use,
            1992-1995 Crown Vic, Town Car, Grand Marquis with different driver's window switch. Not all of them have it. (They are blue inside the door panel with 5 wires)
            Early to mid '90s Taurus, and Sable (Ones that say Auto). (They are black, inside the door panel with 5 wires) I used the ones that are kinda rectangular.

I made a harness so I didn't cut into the existing wiring in the door.

Comment

Awesome never thought to do this, but I love that feature. Good to know it works, i'll have to go pick up the stuff for that and install it.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
              1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
              1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Cool!
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Cool, nice to know it can be made to work. got a schematic for what color wires and whatnot need to be tapped into ?

Comment

I love the one touch down feature, sigh only if my windows worked lol. Yes im lazy

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Cool, nice to know it can be made to work. got a schematic for what color wires and whatnot need to be tapped into ?
                      The wire colors for the newer windows were actually the same as our wiring. Gotta give it to ford for not changing stuff. I tapped into the ground via the bolt on the door. And I also tapped into the wire on the window lock switch, the side that always has power.

Comment

Here's how the wiring would be if added both a one touch up, and down module

Here's the wiring for that. Just note that the yellow/green wire was tapped into the window lock switch (the side where there's always power). I also swiped a window motor plug with some wire, both male and female ends. And put them in their respective spaces, so I wouldn't have to cut into the actual harness of the door. This makes it easy to undo the set up, if the need ever arises, or if you're replacing the door or something, like I will be doing sometime in the future.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM. Reason: Added pic for easy viewing

Comment

Awesome John.

John showed me how everything worked in person and even pulled a couple module boxes for me! I gotta study over the schematics and get busy working. I intend to do a bench test..on my desk with some spare motors I have to give everyone a visual of it working...well everything but the current build up because I am not about to go and put pliers on the window gears to just show it stopping.

Here is a quick pick of the module box...the ones with wires coming out of them.

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-11-2010, 07:04 PM.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ah yes.
                            John definitely gets the 'coolest mod at scottfest' award for this year (besides engine swaps, and the train horns...) for this.
                            I plan to do likewise one of these days...
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Some bench test videos!!!!!!! I got it to work! :woot:

First video is showing that I am using a real window switch with a window motor. This test is just a switch and motor...no modules.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MOV03481.mp4

Second video is showing the one touch down feature.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MOV03482.mp4

Third video is showing the one touch up/down feature.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=MOV03484.mp4

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X