Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

better cooling? 3 core radiator for 1990 grand marq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

better cooling? 3 core radiator for 1990 grand marq?

Hi!

I bought a 1990 colony park wagon with 109,000 miles on it late last spring. Stock 5.0L 302 engine. I've since put 3,000 miles on it.

Back in the Spring, I took it on a trip to Pittsburgh. The thermostat sadly only has: Cold, N O R M A L, Hot.
    It ran between R and M the entire trip long.

Later on there were some coolant leaks, including the water pump. I've fixed those, the coolant level stays the same, I'm not worried about my work there.

The car continues to run between R and M in night time driving when it's cooler. But on a long trip out to Virginia (5 hours each way) for the fourth of July, in which I had 4 people, luggage, the A/C on full blast, 100F weather with 60% humidity and even some mountain driving... the car has been running at the "A" the entire time on the highway at 70mph and going to the "L" in traffic, to the point where I had to roll down the windows and turn off the A/C when it kept, slowly, creeping up.
    It goes back to the "M" if I turn off the airconditioning.

It just makes me nervous.

It's been mentioned that maybe my fan clutch is bad, which should help in traffic and is a cheap and easy fix.
    I might also look at a higher-flow thermostat; but I replaced that when I did the water pump and that shouldn't make much of a difference. The temperature is consistent with what it was like at 109,000 miles when I bought the car, so I don't think I broke anything. It's just really hot weather right now, and I'm putting much more stress on it.

If this really is fine, I won't fix what ain't broke.
    But I'm wondering if I might find a 2 or 3 core radiator for my car? Handle these humid summers and mountain driving much better?

Again, it's a 1990 colony park, same as the grand marquis I'm pretty sure and should share a lot of parts with fellow panther bodies. I am new to the world of car repair though. When I search for grand marquis, i ONLY find single-core radiators. Silly uncreative computer databases

Does anyone know of another model, a mustang, or something else, that has the same exact radiator size that would be compatible, but for which I can find a 3 core version? And then I can tell salvo, autozone, or any of the other online radiator dealers to look for that car to pull up the right radiator. I'm finding 3 core radiators for a 5.8L, but I have the 5.0L... unless they're the same radiator and the computer databases just don't realize that.

Oh, and what's the consensus these days on aluminum versus copper?
    Last edited by BerniniCaCO3; 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM.

I would check the fan clutch as recommended. It was 102* yesterday and after about a half hour at 80mph and some city traffic my car was barely at the R, usually it runs around the O.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Would do fan clutch before looking to replace radiator, especially if you're sure the thermostat is opening all the way up. Also, the temp senders on those gauges are not precision instruments by any means. I've replaced mine twice now, because after awhile it starts reading colder than it really is. The sender is a 6 dollar part, so just throw one of those in there while you're at it, to make sure you're getting the most accurate information.
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
        I would check the fan clutch as recommended. It was 102* yesterday and after about a half hour at 80mph and some city traffic my car was barely at the R, usually it runs around the O.
        +1 on the fan clutch, as it's a cheap and mostly-easy fix. Upgraded radiators shouldn't ever be a bad thing, logically speaking, but one should be able to expect a reasonably-maintained stock vehicle to perform like stock in all respects - including not overheating.

I'll also point out that when cruising at 80mph, your car should stay cool just fine with no fan at all.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Definitely replace the fan clutch first. Unless the rad is all gummed up inside, its probably OK. The AC adds more heat load to the system, and if you can't move enough air through the condensor and the radiator due to a weak clutch, its gonna overheat.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

I'll also point out that when cruising at 80mph, your car should stay cool just fine with no fan at all.

Yeah we limped a fire truck home without a water pump one time, stayed above 65 and it was fine, drop down and there isn't enough air flow.
            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Your radiator is the same as a normal Marquis sedan.

Lincolnmania (Scott) got me a triple core radiator for mine if you eventually do replace it. I'm not sure where he got it from though.

sigpic
              - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Mine has a normal radiator and I can sit and idle all day in traffic when its 100 degrees and it will sit right on the R all day. But I do have an electric fan, it is just a small one though. I think you should flush your system really well and replace the fan clutch, or just throw it in the trash and go electric.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

i got your 3 row from rock auto scott

change the fan clutch first, if the radiator is full of crud inside, replace it too......from my experience when you flush all the crud out of the original radiator, it starts leaking not too long after.

if you change to a 3 row, the upper radiator hose is different, i use a 85 crown vic with a 5.8 to look up the 3 row radiator and the upper hose for the 3 row

theres also a two row available and the 86-91 single row................the std radiator for 85 and older boxes was a two row, no idea why they went to one row in 86.....i guess their thinking is aluminum cools better than copper/brass

i installed a 4 row radiator once in a 88 town car.........heavy sucker.......overkill.....the thermostat was opening and closing cruising down the highway on a cool day.....that's something best suited for road racing or desert life

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

does going to a 3-core require new rad brackets from the base 5.0 radiator?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

one of them yes
                      you need tow of the longer ones to mount the 3 row......if you cant find one, you can bend the the short one out to work, but it does not look as nice.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Electric all the way

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                        Mine has a normal radiator and I can sit and idle all day in traffic when its 100 degrees and it will sit right on the R all day. But I do have an electric fan, it is just a small one though. I think you should flush your system really well and replace the fan clutch, or just throw it in the trash and go electric.
                        Hell yes. I had all kinds of issues under heavy loads or all day driving. I put in an electric fan out of a taurus and it solved all my problems. I had it running all the time. I had to get a thermostat because it overcooled.
                        Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                        Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                        Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                        Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                          Hell yes. I had all kinds of issues under heavy loads or all day driving. I put in an electric fan out of a taurus and it solved all my problems. I had it running all the time. I had to get a thermostat because it overcooled.
                          Reminds me, I've had trouble getting a clear answer on which Taurus fan people like. When I search for fans for '95 Tauruses (Tauri?) at car-part.com, it gives me the following selection to make:

Fan Assm, exc. SHO; 6-232 (3.8L)
                          Fan Assm, SHO, AT
                          Fan Assm, exc. SHO; 6-183 (3.0L)
                          Fan Assm, SHO, MT

There's a place near me that claims to have a 3.0L Taurus fan for only $25, but I expect I'll have to visit them in person to find out whether it's a complete fan-and-motor-and-shroud assembly, or whether it's only one fan out of a dual fan setup like I'm seeing all over eBay. Someone a little farther away is showing a Mark VIII fan for about $50.

I've also been looking at Sentra fans, as recommended in this thread: http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,23145.0.html I'm going to have to measure for sizing (and probably ask a few questions in that thread), as one poster said it didn't fit his stock Rustang radiator without trimming. RockAuto has a '02 Sentra fan for about $82 after discount, which is hard to argue with versus $50 for a used fan.

All that said, for the OP's reference, replacing the fan clutch is still cheapest and easiest, with AutoZone listing clutches starting at just $20: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search
                          Last edited by 1987cp; 07-08-2010, 11:08 AM.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Looks like the fan clutch is $20 and should be easy.

I'd debated replacing the radiator anyway when doing the water pump.

So, 1985 crown victoria radiator will fit in a 1990 grand marquis? Just get an extra one of the longer fasteners (I'll probably see exactly what you're talking about, when I remove mine), and if you could indulge me, what is the hose I need?

Once I take out my old radiator, it'll be hard to borrow a car to get any additional parts if I choose the wrong ones :-(

Just curious: the radiator-like thing in front of the radiator for the coolant; is that for the AC? I guess I can just look at where the hoses go too, though.

Comment

that is to say: I'm not sure just how bad the fan clutch is anyway, and it's still warming up on a hot day at 70mph, so if I'm considering replacing the radiator as it is I might as well upgrade. The three core should cool it much faster than the stock single core?

Comment

Working...
                              X