{Electrical} 85-91 Steering Column LEVER REPLACEMENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{Electrical} 85-91 Steering Column LEVER REPLACEMENT

Not sure if this is really under electrical but close enough.

Well I ordered my new Turn Signal lever from Ford this week. So today I installed it. I went so far as to take apart the whole switch mechanism to figure out how to get the lever off. But to save you guys out there some trouble here is how it whould be done. It's actually kind of easy.

Tools required:
    Phillips - for removing collumn cover
    Torx bit size #20 - for removing signal switch
    Pliers - for removing keeper pin

After removing the sterring collumn cover you should see the picture below. The two plugs (only one is in the picture because the other is hanging down) that go into the turn signal switch module do not need to be removed. You will need to remove the turn signal switch module by removing the two torx (size #20) screws that hold it in place. No, you don't have to take it out just need to pull it out enough to do the next step.

Once the module is lose you can pull the keeper pin with a pair of pliers. It is in there snug, but not hard. WARNING!!!!! Once you have removed the pin you will be able to pivot the lever and its base exposing the tiny keeper for the lever. When you pivot the lever the little plastic thing shown in the picture will be exposed and it has a spring behind it. It is VERY small do not lose it. It is there to improve the feel of the action on the switch. If lost it will still work. Thos little thing is not the tiny keeper pin for the lever. I do not have a pic of it, however there are only two things located on the base, the plastik piece that can go flying and the even smaller metal pin that keeps the lever in place. No feer on this one though, it will not fall out, it just slind in its place so that the lever can be removed.

Here is a picture of the base of the lever so that you can know what to expect.

Once you have installed everything then put it back together and bask in the pretty reflections!! Both my levers are new now

great writeup!
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

nice!!! those things look so good....

what was your source for the levers?
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

That's kinda wierd. On the 1989 and older TC's, all you have to do is pull the multifunction switch handle off, you don't have to take anything apart. Must be a TC exclusive thing.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

The turn signal lever is direct from Ford as of 3 days ago. The switch for the windshield wipers I got off Ebay.

Comment

whats the part number for it from ford and whats the price i can aspect i gotta have those.
            The Best
            Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that with my TC as well. I replaced the whole MF switch with a unit from an 84 and swapped the arm because the 84 one was crappier looking and had the horn button in it. I just pulled the arm out and changed it over. I did it first on my original switch, figuring if it broke, no great loss but it just popped right out. It hasn't fallen out or anything, so I'll call it good

How much did that lever cost you? And do you happen to know if the wiper levers are still avaliable ? The chrome on my wiper one is peeling, and the blinker lever also isn't in the best condition.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Signal Lever: E9AZ - 13305 - A I think he said retail was abou $28
                Wiper Lever: Obsolete :-( Part number on my old one is: E1AB-17A553-CA

If you get in good relations with your Ford parts man they should be able to do a search for old stock parts across the nation. That's how I get the driver door lower window chrome, it was the last Ford Stock in the nation.

Comment

I was cleaning the levers in the 2 door one day, when I got to the turn signal/horn lever...it pulled right out. I was like, oh SHIT! Pushed it back in and no problem.....weird. :P
                  '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

hey jonnie do the two torx screws let the turn switch come out all the way??
                    Mine is going bad I think, i need to get prepared
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yes, least they did on mine. Two screws, the switch pulls out, then just unplug it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeppers.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                          Wiper Lever: Obsolete :-( Part number on my old one is: E1AB-17A553-CA

Jonnie - any chance you misread the B for a Z???

My wiper lever/switch just showed up, part number E1AZ 17A553-C

the lever part sure looks the same, now Im worried the switch mount might be different
                          sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it. If it looks the same it probably is the same. That was the part number on my original one. Might be a different number for OE replacement models.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                              Mine is going bad I think, i need to get prepared
                              me too, im tryying to prolong the life of mine by only holding it to signal and not letting it "lock" into place and signal until the turn is over every time I do that it sounds like its going to break when it clicks back into place.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Working...
                              X