Police Car Junk Yard Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police Car Junk Yard Special

I recently found a '87 police model (pretty rare in my neck of the woods) at a junk yard. At the time, I only had enough time to pull the rear anti-sway bar (very sweet, I might add). If/when I go back, I want to have a list of police package parts to look for. So far my list of police mods are as follows: Rear sway bar (taken), rear axle (better gearing?/better rear brakes?), larger front brakes, dual exhaust, stiffer rear springs, upgraded wheels, 5.8L engine (out of the question for me).
    I've never come across any diffinitive list of '87 police package upgrades, but have put together this list from what I have heard from others, and from personal experience. What I would like to hear from you guys (and gals), is what parts (if any) I have left off the list, and which of these parts are worth taking off a junk yard car. I am looking for not just drivetrain/chassis/suspension parts, but also such things as aluminum body panels, or upgraded electronics (engine or otherwise). Any input is appreciated.
    All stock \'87 GM--except for the sound system! Alpine V-drive CD deck, Infinity Kappa separates up front, Blaupunkt coaxials in back, Alpine V12 5 channel amp in the trunk, with a 12\" Rockford dual voice coil sub. All this with complete high quality custom wiring. Kaboom!

Speedo.
    Swaybars.
    Pushbars (SOMEONE will want em, if its got em)

You can get all the coolers off there, they could be of use...

Of course, someone else will surely chime if here soon

Oh, and you could grab the tailpipes if they are in good shape...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

The rear brakes are bigger, the fronts are not, though the front calipers on the PI's are bigger. Police gearing bites the big one. Unless you want the best for highway cruising. The exhaust is slightly better, but a custom exhaust will get you more performance. Pull the hangars off the frame though. The 5.8L is a good motor, but is lacking in power stock. (as is the 5.0L) I wouldn't really bother with the springs, they are pretty cheap, and used springs could cause problems..
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

No difference in the size of the front brakes, but there is in the calipers. The rear brakes are larger and wider. Should also have a heavy duty transmission wish an extra clitch in the direct clutch pack.

Comment

the PI frames are also heavier than a civi Vic
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I've never heard the frame thing, what is your source on that one?

Comment

something i heard on cvn a couple years ago. i'll see if i can dig it up

Comment

Linky
                that one talks more about teh differences between civi and police suspension but the frame is mentioned

thats all i can find for now, cvn seems to be taking its daily shit...

Comment

if you see a gauge cluster in the dash, grab that too. Those are hot items and will go on Ebay if not here.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Get the front bar. Its a solid 1 3/16" unit. If you don't want it, I do.

Axle MAY be geared better. Look on the door sticker at the ID tag. AX code K is a 3.55:1 limited slip. Or look underneath on the rear's tag itself, 3L55 is limited slip. Yeah, they do have bigger rear drums, but you could get a better upgrade from a 90s model by putting rear disc brakes on. Standard drums are 10", PI models got 11".

Not sure the PI front brakes are bigger/better. Someone else can confirm this but I was under the impression that all box body cars had the same brakes. Upgrades would be 95-97 fronts if you want to keep the 15" wheels, or 98-02 if you don't mind going to a 16" wheel.

dual exhaust: swap on a set of Mustang or Mark VII shorty headers, the Mustang/Mark H pipe, S10 mids, and you have better duals than the stock stuff. The tailipes are useful if in decent shape tho. Grab the driver's side one if its any good unless you can get a new set of tails bent for you car.

Both the front and rear springs should be stiffer, but if you're gonna bother, just buy new. You can have a set of brand new springs for under $100. My cargo coils cost like $62, if you want really stiff, go wagon or wagon cargo coils. After 18 years of abuse they probably aren't as good as they once were.

engine electronics will be useless to you. These things were a variable venturi 2bbl carb with some bizzare electronic smog control device called an MCU. Other than the fact they can be easily replaced with a normal 2bbl carb, I know nothing of it.
                    most of the rest of the electronics are standard-ish for the year, nothing is really better on the PI models in that respect. PI cars are actually pretty bare bones so other than maybe the groovy spotlight and a big(er) alternator you're not gonna get a whole lot. Oh, and its an easy upgrade to a newer 130 amp internally regulated alternator instead of the 100 amp external model thats probably on the PI.
                    I think the radiator is supposed to have better cooling capacity, but not sure I'd trust an unknown 18 year old radiator in my car.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I typed that up last night while gmn was having a shit fit, went to bed and hit submit this morning. sorry for the duplicate info.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

its all good :thumbsup:

Comment

I thought the PI front bars were 1-1/8", it's the wagon front bars that are 1-3/16"

Comment

the police car bars are solid steel..........my wagon bar is hollow

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Grab me the air intake setup and I'll pay you for it. (the plastic tube going to the front of the bay off the cleaner).

Comment

Working...
                              X