Police Car Junk Yard Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stu
    Grab me the air intake setup and I'll pay you for it. (the plastic tube going to the front of the bay off the cleaner).
    Different than a CFI one I take it? Never actually looked under the hood of a PI.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Police and tow package cars got a heavier frame. they are stamped "HD" on the drivers side near the rear tire. cars with out the Police or tow package are stamped "STD" in the same location.

Police front brake calipers are the the same size as civilian models (73mm), but use a steel caliper piston, which requires a different brake pad because of the inboard clip being different.

Some Police and most tow package cars got 11" rear brakes, but I have seen some with out them. you can easily identify 11" rear brakes because the drum are smooth, while the 10" drums are finned. 10" drums are also wider.

I would advise not spending the money on the Police car coolers, Most are broken and hacked and most of the factory replacement parts are obsolete or expensive when you can find them. you can get better aftermarket coolers for less money IMHO.

While the police rear sway bar is unique and makes a noticable improvement in handling, there seems to be no guideline as far as the front bar is concerned.
      I got all the suspension parts for my car from a 90 model P72 sheriffs car in the yard a few years ago. the front bar from the police car was the same 1 1/8" bar that on my car originally.
      that seems to be the norm from the other cars I have seen at the salvage yard. I have seen a couple wagons with larger hollow bars, but most wagons that I have seen have a 7/8" or 1" bar on them.
      I would assume finding a wagon with a K code rear end and 11" rear brakes would indicate a heavier suspension and presumably a larger front sway bar, but I havent seen any yet.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Define smooth rear drums, like totally without fins, or with very small ones? Mine have fins, and they're the larger ones. Not sure if they're identical to PI ones, but they are bigger than standard. Takes different shoes and such.

I also wonder if the universal joints on a PI are larger. Anyone know? There has also been talk that the PI used a long tailshaft transmission, in other words a Lincoln tranny.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
          Originally posted by Stu
          Grab me the air intake setup and I'll pay you for it. (the plastic tube going to the front of the bay off the cleaner).
          Different than a CFI one I take it? Never actually looked under the hood of a PI.
          It's actually the same according to my collison pages, do you have one in good shape?

Comment

no, i was just curious if it was a PI specific part or not.

Comment

Thanks for all the useful info, guys. Next time I'm down there (I live 7 hours away), I'll pull all the good stuff I can, and anything I don't use, I'll make available to whoever wants them.
              All stock \'87 GM--except for the sound system! Alpine V-drive CD deck, Infinity Kappa separates up front, Blaupunkt coaxials in back, Alpine V12 5 channel amp in the trunk, with a 12\" Rockford dual voice coil sub. All this with complete high quality custom wiring. Kaboom!

Comment

Working...
              X