Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So the Grand Marquis PI package DOES exist...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe you cant us that speedo in grand marquis look it has 4 idiot lights on it.The GM has 6 idiot lights it may also have a different plug.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

If your junkyard actually does have one, I will gladly buy it from you

But yea, I wouldnt pay over $300-500 for the car. The only thing worth anything is the speedo, sway bars. usual PI stuff.
      ---1990 Lincon LSC., 5.0 H.O., 55,000 ORIG. miles, 3:73 Posi, Bullit rims, 3G alt., 2.5" full-back exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, Flowmaster mufflers. My DD
      ---1985 Grand Marquis 2-door., Fresh 5.0, slick-top, GT40P's, 1.7 RR's, FRPP headers, 3G alt., Weiand Stealth intake, 650 cfm holley, 2.5" side-exit exhaust, Mark 8 elec. fan, 3:55 Posi, Bucket seats, custom center console. My Toy

Comment

what if the plugs different remember the police speedo has 4 idiot light your GM has 6. something may be different. plus if its there i would want it lol.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Even if it has extra idiot lights... it probably is wired to accept all of them, and the ones with only 4 just are missing that part of the printed circuit.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

i hope it works i god damn want this speedo.

Comment

I'd be surprised if it used a different plug for the electronic instrumentey bits. I've been under the impression that all pre-'90 cars used the same plug, and so the clusters are fully interchangable (except for possibly Ford to Mercury; I think the Ford cluster is physically a bit wider, but haven't bothered to check).
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                what if the plugs different remember the police speedo has 4 idiot light your GM has 6. something may be different. plus if its there i would want it lol.
                Same plugs, just missing wires. I've switched back and forth between them. It would fit fine. I'm guessing the guy at the junkyard you talked to was full of shit though, but check it out either way.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

I know after 90 they are the same... I know that on other vehicles we have some of the clusters I have seen have the same plugs.. but no contact where there should be one for certain lights.... so say there is no "low wiper fluid" light in a cluster... it just wont have a pin for the contact to that one... but the plug will still go in. That is my experience.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

the speedo in the PI cluster will swap out with the speedo in the regular cluster. It's mechanically driven and mounted with 4 screws IIRC. That is if it's a 1989 or older. It should be an easy swap (well as easy as taking apart any cluster is), and then you keep all your stock idiot lights. Of course, the other problem will be no trip and you may have to swap out the clear panels as well to be able to see the odometer completely.
                    Last edited by sly; 07-12-2010, 11:04 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by neums View Post
                      There is MUCH more to a Ford/Mercury police package than just a speedometer and motor. Its a whole different frame, suspension, cooling system, steering gearbox, transmission, keys, locks, seats with anti stab plates......I could go on and on.

Yes ...and no. I guess you would pay attention to these things since you're something of a resto type, and I do respect that since you do interesting things with your stuff. But for a modded driver, I don't think most of those items are of that much practical interest. Lots of things will be replaced or upgraded anyway in most cases, and for other items there are various viable alternatives. So still, probably not worth anything like $1500 unless you're hardcore.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        Yes ...and no. I guess you would pay attention to these things since you're something of a resto type, and I do respect that since you do interesting things with your stuff. But for a modded driver, I don't think most of those items are of that much practical interest. Lots of things will be replaced or upgraded anyway in most cases, and for other items there are various viable alternatives. So still, probably not worth anything like $1500 unless you're hardcore.
                        If somebody would buy this, get it running, leave everything as is and arrange for exhaust to exit through those fin things with a spark plug on an intermittent switch for flame throwing... They would be my hero forever.
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                          If somebody would buy this, get it running, leave everything as is and arrange for exhaust to exit through those fin things with a spark plug on an intermittent switch for flame throwing... They would be my hero forever.
                          That would be freaking insane! (in a good way)

Ok, so I messaged the guy and he said that if the car doesn't sell, he might be willing to sell just the speedometer to me. But he asked if I had a price in mind. Being this the first time I think most of us has ever seen one, I have no idea how much to offer him. I'll most likely resell it on here because I don't have a grand marq, but what should I offer?

I paid 50 bucks for my CV speedometer...
                          Last edited by hemihotrod402; 07-13-2010, 08:51 AM.
                          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

offer it to me for 50 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                              That would be freaking insane! (in a good way)

Ok, so I messaged the guy and he said that if the car doesn't sell, he might be willing to sell just the speedometer to me. But he asked if I had a price in mind. Being this the first time I think most of us has ever seen one, I have no idea how much to offer him. I'll most likely resell it on here because I don't have a grand marq, but what should I offer?

I paid 50 bucks for my CV speedometer...
                              Then maybe offer $50 to start? Or to compensate for the apparent rarity, maybe a little higher. But if you start too high, he might start wanting more like $150 or more, and then you'll have to think hard on whether it's worth that to anyone.

Wonder how much Vic speedos are going for on eBay ....... eep!!! $270 for just a faceplate??? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-88...Q5fAccessories

Comment

I offered him 60 bucks on it, we'll see what he says
                                Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                                New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Working...
                                X