90/91 Dash (from hell) Removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90/91 Dash (from hell) Removal.

Soooooo..... After 6 hours I got a little somewhere. Now I am wondering if I can get to the blend door and ATC with the dash like this. The reason I ask is because there is a mass of giant wire that runs from the firewall to the fuse box... under the dash (clipped all the way) to the other side and back into the firewall. If I want to take the dash completely out I need to take this wiring harness out, which looks like another 5 hours of work.

Here are some pictures... I want to replace anything that could be responsible for my A/C blowing hot air (80*) and my heat only blowing the hottest air. I have had the A/C blow cold on occasion and the under hood blend door has been replaced by the previous owner, and the HVAC unit has been replaced as well. The pump engages when I turn the A/C on so it leaves the under dash shit as the culperate.

Could somebody point out the part on the blend door that controls it's opening/closing? Also I know the ATC is under the dash pad with the white hose going to it, is there anything else that should be replaced while I am under here?

pics...

^ I think that white box is the blend door switch?

"Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Now that the dash is down, pick it back up and remove the 2 nuts on the bottom of the air plenum box. There should be 2 more on the engine compartment side, then the box will slide back far enough to get the actuator off. Unhook the heater hoses before you pull the box back, they will get in your way.

If I'm not terribly mistaken, the white box is your blend door actuator, and what is most likely causing your problem.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00175.html
    is the process on an early 90s Towncar. Its pretty similar. I would not take the suggestion to just pry on the thing and break the BDA. Pull the box loose so you can access the screws and remove the BDA correctly.

Thats really interesting by the way. I honestly had no idea that they ever went to electronic blend doors on boxes. I thought all the ATC stuff in boxes was the vacuum mess like I have.
    Last edited by gadget73; 07-20-2010, 06:59 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah I got the new blend door from ford, It is a ford only part and was $66. I also ordered teh ATC as well for $25. The ATC does not require the dash to be removed to replace though. Ill get some pics of that later.
      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

way different than 89 and older wow

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          way different than 89 and older wow
          You hadn't had one open either?

I think I'm seeing a convenient flexy hose going somewhere ... I don't suppose they actually got rid of those big dumb rigid ducts, did they?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Hmmm.......
            Watching and learning here.......and very glad I don't have ATC!!
            Former panther owner
            1981 CV 351 4bbl
            1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
              Hmmm.......
              Watching and learning here.......and very glad I don't have ATC!!
              Lucky bastard...

Ive got her back together... minus all the shit that goes in the dash. New blend door is on. I'm still waiting on the ATC sensor (it can be put in with dash bolted up)... Running wires for a tach, and getting new odometer gears.

If this fixes the AC problem *Fingers crossed* (Im not sure what else it could be) That means that only the passenger side door actuator needs replacing for my car to have NOTHING WRONG with it... *Cough besides fender trim *cough

Hopefully this thread helps some people a little bit, if anybody has more specific questions about it now or in the future I will be able to answer them for you. There is too much to list to do a step by step.

Hardest part - lifting the dash... Im pretty sure it weighs close to 80lbs. Also almost all the screws are the same... so not much need for labeling.

I will keep you updated on if this works or not.

-JR
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                You hadn't had one open either?

I think I'm seeing a convenient flexy hose going somewhere ... I don't suppose they actually got rid of those big dumb rigid ducts, did they?

That hose is for the ATC (if you are referring to the white one) I assure you those ducts are still all there, and all in the way.
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

see u at scottfest?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                    see u at scottfest?
                    Money is still wicked tight man... (I know playing the money card) I will see what I can pull. Busted my ass to get my moms car on the road, my dads truck had the trans pulled and crank looked at and it is all fine... shop was scratching there heads, then they narrowed it down to what they think is a piece of the cat broke loose inside it. Shop didn't charge us a dime because they didn't fix the problem... two mechanics working 8hrs straight to diagnose it and us not having to pay... that is an honest damn shop.

Ill try to swing it man... I really will, but it also looks like my family may be going on vacation that week too. I know you guys must want to see the car, and I would love to see yours as well, but college is first.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I know I'm going to have to replace the heater core SOME day since afaik it's the stocker...I do not look forward to that day...
                      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

So you didnt pull it all the way? Just layed it down?

edit : looks like there is alot of junk under there I could possibly get rid of for some weight reduction
                        hmmmm?
                        Last edited by 1980c10; 07-21-2010, 10:14 PM.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                          So you didnt pull it all the way? Just layed it down?
                          Yeah.. didn't want to take the mass off wires out of the dash.. this gave me enough room to work.
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Howdy, it's a couple years later but I have a couple of ???'s, if you'll be so kind. First, how many bolts hold the dash on? I have removed bolts of three different sizes from everywhere I can see, feel, or imagine, but the dash ain't down. Any bolts/attachments in particular stand out for their concealment or deviousness? Did you unbolt the steering shaft connection under the dash? Are there more BIG bolt besides the two on each side by the footwell kick panel? What is holding it in the center of the dash? I have everything out that can be unplugged/removed but the f---ing dash will not pull forward like your pics show.
                            Also, did this work fix your problem? Mine is doing exactly the same thing... Thank you in advance.
                            If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough...

Comment

yes, you have to unbolt the steering shaft and there may be one hidden behind the instrument cluster and ash tray. Also, the big bolts in the lower corners behind the kick panels are the main side supports and must be removed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X