Blend Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blend Door

Does anyone know if somebody makes a replacement/retrofit blend door for the boxes? Specifically, 1989 manual hvac. Or am I stuck making my own?

I have a job to do that I don't want to do, but what are you gonna do, except just do it? =-\

Some of you may recall the odd heat behaviour I have had in the box for the last couple winters (no real heat until the car has been driven for about a half hour, when all of a sudden you hear the air pattern change and you get blasted with heat-the way it should be). I checked the controls, etc, moved the blend door arm by finger (with cable disconnected. And yeah, also checked that the cable moved the crank arm properly) to feel & hear what sounded like the blend door moving from one position to the other... Well, the past couple weeks my AC has been less than cold, but no constant clicking of the compressor that would indicate a low charge, so anyway, yesterday, I turn on the ac and shiver me timbers, ac as I remember it. ICE cold. So I pondered for all of a fraction of a second and the blend door is the only commonality for heat and a/c. So checking/fixing/replacing the blend door is my job when I get the will to pull the plenum. Arm moves as it should, hot/cold blend when actually trying the stupid thing does change, but in actual use temperature is never as hot or cold as it should be.

Alex.

I dunno man. I've played games with mine and now it's way fucked. If you're looking to replace I'd just see about swapping a new (used) box in because that's what I'm on the road to doing. Retrofit blend doors would be nice though because mine decided to fall apart when I looked at it.

Comment

The temperature blend door is just attached to the rod that the cable or vac motor hooks to. Memory is fuzzy on this but I seem to recall tabs welded to the rod and rivets holding the plastic door on. Its just a piece of plastic. If yours is cracked apart, I don't see why you couldn't cut a replacement piece of plastic out of some handy piece of material and rivet it on.

The other doors that control where the air comes out of have plastic hinges which break. I used small metal hinges from the hardware store to replace the broken plastic.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thats what I suspect I'll have to do. Might look at bending up a sheet metal flap if thats the case.

I remember looking at those plastic "hinges" when I did the heater core and cursing the cheap-asses that come up with these "money saving" measures...

Alex.

Comment

Working...
        X