Project Wagon Queen Family Truckster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Wagon Queen Family Truckster

Well, I have been busy working on my Truckster and haven't been around here much lately. The Truckster is nearing completion, so I figured it was about time I posted some progress pictures of it.

Here is the 86 LTD Crown Victoria wagon when I purchased it a little less than 2 years ago to turn into the Wagon Queen Family Truckster from National Lampoon's Vacation. The wagon in the movie was an 80. I looked around for about a year and a half at rusty trashed wagons and finally found this one. It was owned by a little old lady who bought it new in 86. She was starting to lose her marbles, so her children took her license away and sold the car. It is in really good condition with only one spot of rust, only has 52,000 miles, working A/C, correct tan interior and all. Here are some pictures of it the day my vanity plates came in the mail, before the modifications began.
    Attached Files

very nice car mang.....i wish you luck!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Not bad.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Very clean.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Well, I started out with the easier modifications first. First I swapped the drivers side mirror out for the 79 one. It ended up going alot easier than I thought. I only had to swap out the glass, drill two holes for the mirror mount, and modify the dew wipe a little under where the mirror sits. Then I changed the piece of trim on the top of the tail gate for the one without the third brake light, and added the second set of taillights on the tail gate.

Also here are some pictures of the front end. I ended up making the grill section out of fiberglass. I don't even want to know how much time I have in the header panel, but I cut apart the grill and redid it twice to get it just right. Then I cut down the front bumper and re welded it. I also fabricated some new bumper mounts so that I could mount the bumper lower.
          Attached Files

Comment

Very awesome, I was hoping someone on here would do this. Thought about it with my wagon, just don't have the time and resources to give to it. Coming along nicely, keep it up!

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
            1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
            1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Man I want to convert my car to the 79 mirrors so bad. It looks so much better.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

Looks really good! Are you going to put a gas door on the hood?

Comment

Neat! Can't wait to see more pics! I'd rock a Wagon Queen.

sigpic
                  - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

what kind of alt you gonna use to be able to drive all those lights?

I'd hate to be an on-coming car with all the lights on. *blink*blink*

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That is really neat!
                      Lets Go Pens!

Comment

That is going to be sick... you painting it Griswold colors? or doing your own paint scheme?
                        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Wonder if it will run hotter with the front blocked like that.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, this thing is gonna be sweeeeet.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the compliments!

I did put a gas tank door on the hood. It is non functional, just for looks. I also fabricated a bracket to hold a gas cap under it, so when opened up it will look real. I then re-routed the gas filler neck to inside of the rear wheel well, and welded a patch in where the original gas tank door was on the quarter panel.

I am going to have to upgrade the alt to run the extra lights. I asked a friend who is a cop, and he said he believed that in Illinois you are only allowed to run 4 lights at a time when driving. I'm probably going to wire up the 2 outer lights on each side to run while driving, and put the inside ones on a seperate switch to turn on while pulling in and out of cruise nights.

I am going to paint it metallic pea and do all the woodgrain and stuff. I already found 4 blue and 4 brown 80's hardside suitcases for the roof that are a pretty close match and a red cooler to go in the back. My goal for the car is for people to look at it and think that it has to be the car from the movie.

It does not really seem to run any hotter when I have been driving it around. There is a big opening between the bottom of the grill and the top of the bumper, the slots in the bumper, and I still have to cut the two slots in the header panel for the chrome grill piece. I am probably going to swap out the rad eventually though because it has a tiny leak in it.

Here is some more pics.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Where'd you get the grille piece? You make it?

Comment

Working...
                              X