No announcement yet.

Steve'87's Grand Marquis 2-door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That last DRL pic makes my nibblets feel tingly.

Careful using those 4157's as DRL's though... those bulbs might burn a little hotter, and those lamps weren't designed for constant high-filament burning...!
    They might be fine though... just keep an eye on em!
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
      That last DRL pic makes my nibblets feel tingly.

Careful using those 4157's as DRL's though... those bulbs might burn a little hotter, and those lamps weren't designed for constant high-filament burning...!
      They might be fine though... just keep an eye on em!
      Actually, it specifically said DRL use on the package, that's why I bought them.

I spent a good half-hour at the parts store going over bulb specs before I found these. I didn't realize there were so many different styles of bulb and what they did. I have since upgraded my regular turn signals to 2357 and 3357's. My car uses both for some damn reason. Fronts were 1157's, rear was 3157's with 1156 backup lights.
      Last edited by Steve'87; 09-04-2010, 12:00 AM.
      "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

I was talking about the plastic lenses actually, I'd worry they might cook!
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
          I was talking about the plastic lenses actually, I'd worry they might cook!
          Yeah, I'm not sure, but they'r not great lenses. They're cracked, so I'm not very worried. If they melt, then I know that didn't work, however I doubt it'll be much of a problem. Mounted the way they are, they have plenty of airflow around them.
          "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

I would rather use the cars OEM lenses for the DRL's anyway, I think that would look pretty cool.

Comment

definitely... you are the guinea pig lol
              sigpic

Comment

Yup. If this works out, I want to find a set of clear lenses.

Comment

In other news today, I finally got a glasspack on my car so it's at least legal now.

Very quiet for having a glasspack.

Comment

Neat trick with the lenses.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Also, I didn't mention this but the first temperature gauge I bought took a crap, so I bought a different one and installed it. Works much better. Also picked up a volt meter today. Next will be an oil pressure gauge. I still have to get my tach wired up.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve'87 View Post
                        In other news today, I finally got a glasspack on my car so it's at least legal now.

Very quiet for having a glasspack.

did you replace the muffler for the glasspack or do you still have the muffler on if so get rid of the muffler. To get more sound out of that car go to true dual exhaust and get another glasspack. if you want your car to sound like mine get dual exhaust and high flow cats with Thrush Welded Mufflers. They offer a good sound. check my readers ride for the sound video. Also long stainless tips will multiply the sound of the muffler becuase of the material the tips are made out of. Also make sure the glasspack is on the right way.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                          did you replace the muffler for the glasspack or do you still have the muffler on if so get rid of the muffler. To get more sound out of that car go to true dual exhaust and get another glasspack. if you want your car to sound like mine get dual exhaust and high flow cats with Thrush Welded Mufflers. They offer a good sound. check my readers ride for the sound video. Also long stainless tips will multiply the sound of the muffler becuase of the material the tips are made out of. Also make sure the glasspack is on the right way.
                          For about 2 weeks prior to this I have been running with no muffler. It was rotted out and in danger of falling off, so I just hacked it off. Even with no muffler and no rear tail pipe it was very quiet. 2" exhaust pipes and quad cats must be very restrictive to be that quiet with no muffler. I have high hopes to eventually replace the exhaust and run duals.
                          Last edited by Steve'87; 09-04-2010, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Well, about to take my car on it's first trip. Taking the kids and driving down to my Dad's in Pendleton for Thanksgiving. Looks like the roads might be a little fun, but nothing I haven't dealt with before. Have done all the usual, changed oil, checked all the other fluids, belts and hoses. Tonight I changed the tranny filter and fluid. The car's got 84K on it and I think it's been changed before, there wasn't much junk in the bottom of the pan and there was no plug floating in the pan...if that was in all the AOD's, I don't know.

I do wish they put drain plugs in these things, but it was not too difficult otherwise.

Comment

yes the plug was in all AODs, if it's gone then it just means someone has been inside the transmission before.
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Well the car did just fine on the trip, which isn't too much of a surprise, but still. It's a little hard to trust a car that has 24 year old OEM parts on it still. I have not even changed the hoses yet.
                                On another note, I did find a place in town that sells non-ethanol premium gasoline. A Chevron station was sold, and the new owners dropped the contract with chevron and picked up one with Liberty. I know nothing about this chain, but they made signs for their pumps that state their premium gas contains no ethanol. This gas station seems to have gotten alot more popular. I have been running this gasoline in everything I have ever since I discovered it. The car and truck seem to be running smoother, but I really noticed an improvement in the snow blower and generator. I serviced the generator a week ago, as it hadn't been ran all summer. I dumped the old gas out, and that shit looked like old urine. Nasty crap, and it was only about 6 months old. This ethanol gas is some really worthless crap. I'm glad I shut the gas valve off and let it run until the carb empties.
                                I don't care, I'll pay the extra 20 cents a gallon (for premium) to get away from ethanol. No other gas station in the county sells it, though I've heard rumors of another, but you have to be "in the know" to get it from them. Seems dumb, I would be advertising the fact that my station sold non-ethanol gasoline, like liberty. Our local Search and Rescue dropped it's account with another station and picked one up with Liberty and told us to only use the premium (non-ethanol) in the equipment. Duh!

Comment

Working...
                                X