LTDMan's '87 Mercury "Black Sunshine"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior Update

There's been a slight change of plan for the Interior. Since I will be going totally black with this interior within the next year or so. (Having everything totally re-done in Black). I am gonna be doing a tu-tone, Black on Brown Interior for now. The things which are still in good shape and don't need to be re-upholstered, like the '89 Towncar SS F/R seats, will be dyed Midnight Black, as well as the Dash Pad, and the Package Tray/3rd Brake Light. Everything else will remain Dark Sable Brown for now. I found the time yesterday to get the Package Tray dyed Black and installed, and it really does look 10X better than having the Brown piece there, especially since the car is gonna be Black soon.

After the Body/Paint stage of the car is finished, then I will buy new Black Carpet, and have the Door Panels/Headliner and everything else re-covered in Black Velour. The point of all this now is just to get a Interior with all nice and mint trim pieces into the car, and then slowly change everything over to Black. I hope to have the rest of the interior finished up, and the seats dyed and installed by mid-november, and then I can move on to the Bodywork stage of the car, which is what I really want to get into. Having to work around 80 hours a week right now is not helping me much to get anything done on this project though.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
      Having to work around 80 hours a week right now is not helping me much to get anything done on this project though.
      But it's funding it! (provided you get paid by the hour, which I hope to god you are at 80 hours a week)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
        But it's funding it! (provided you get paid by the hour, which I hope to god you are at 80 hours a week)
        Yea, it has it advantages , just free-time isn't one of them right now. I get paid by the hour for around 40 of those hours each week, where I work at a local shop here doing collision repair, (on my lunch break right now). The rest I work at my resto shop, (that I co-own with another guy), in my spare time. I get paid a set amount for each project based on a percentage of the profits. So, I make the same there regardless of if it takes 5 hours or 500 hours to complete the project. Most of my time goes into those projects to make them as perfect as possible, as my reputation is at stake with every project that we do. Rep is really important in the real world, especially when it comes to businesses like this. We survive or die based on our reputation. Which is why I make it a point to always deliver a perfect 10 everytime.

Comment

you co-own a resto shop? No wonder your attention to detail is so good lol.

Is there something that you specialize in? Or is it just kind of a bring what you have and we'll see what we can do lol.
          Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
          New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
            you co-own a resto shop? No wonder your attention to detail is so good lol.

Is there something that you specialize in? Or is it just kind of a bring what you have and we'll see what we can do lol.

It's a bring whatever you got kind of shop, we take on all comers. There are some vehicles that are too wrecked/rusty for us to want to take on, but we will take on pretty much anything if the customer is willing to pay for it. I pretty much do it all, but I specialize in Collision/Dent & Rust Repair. I love working metal panels back into shape, from something that was dented and warped, back to a new factory appearance. We only ever use Body Filler on a vehicle as a very light skim coat to smooth things out, which is the way it should be. I still dread the day that I might come up against a horribly dented DeLorean DMC-12 though, lol. We don't see a great deal of Rust-Repair here being in the south, but the small ammount that I do have to deal with is usually in strange areas, and is a severe PITA to fix. I even do Grease Monkey work on the side, always totally free for the people that I care about. I love learning new things, and working on different vehicles, so I'm always continuously building my skills up.

My partner is the Artist/Painter, and he has over 30 years of experience. He is far better than I am at painting and pin-striping, and is a total master with the airbrush. I have a lot of respect for the man and his work/business ethic. He even taught me how to do Lead Work, which I still use occasionally on some of the higher end project vehicles that I restore, (like mine). This is a business that you will really work your ass off in, even though you do get paid well for it. My short-term goal is to get the business off the ground, and then hire an employee to help take some of the work load off of me, so I can get some free-time every once in a while to get out there in the yard and work on my own junk.

Sorry for the long paragraphs, I tend to have alot to say once I start talking about something, if you can't tell by the rest of the thread, lol.

Comment

Interior Progress Update

Been slowly getting some of the trim installed, and the door panels, and it is now painfully apparent that the lower part of the dash that I painted is not gonna match the stock Sable Brown trim pieces whatsoever. The color on the cap matched it pretty much dead on, the paint that came out however did not. It was about 3 shades off to the lighter side.

I'm not happy with it at all, so I'm gonna be doing it over again, this time painting everything Satin Black to match the future interior. Looks like all that work was for nothing, but if I'm not happy with something I can't just ignore it and let it go, I have to fix it, being a perfectionist, it will drive me insane over time. So, now I get to do all that meticulous work over again. Gotta love the car restoration hobby, lol.

More progress pics to come soon.

Comment

Glad I found this thread! I'm loving the new name "Black Sunshine"! Keep the pics (and updates) coming...
                sigpic

Cardomain page

"It's not rocket surgery!!"

Comment

Originally posted by 87mercman View Post
                  Glad I found this thread! I'm loving the new name "Black Sunshine"! Keep the pics (and updates) coming...
                  Hey Chris, nice to hear from you again. I wanted to keep the MCR Metallic originally, but this car is just screaming at me to be painted Gloss Black. Seems like it would be doing it an injustice to paint it any other color.

I've damn near finished the Interior now, other than the F/R seats, the dash and all its related parts are entirely painted Black now, just haven't had the time to get pics, and writeup a post yet. It's coming soon though, when I can find the time to get out there again. This car is a keeper to me, for sure, so don't worry about it ever being junked or anything. She is staying with me for life.

Comment

I'm glad you caught that vibe as well. Had I been able to keep the car I had every intention of painting it black or dark gunmetal. I would've changed/painted the dash and interior pieces over to black/silver as well and done the matching seats.

I guess she's getting everything she wants...
                    sigpic

Cardomain page

"It's not rocket surgery!!"

Comment

Welp, this rust-free POS got sent to the junkyard earlier today...

I'm j/k, calm down...lol Just thought I'd throw out a little update for anyone interested.

Actually, she is gonna be going to a new owner soon. My best friend has been admiring the car for quite awhile now. He always loved the old modified '87 Crown Vic LX that I had, and all the great times we had driving around hauling ass, and occasionally some shine, in it. He loves the much tougher/meaner look of the 79-87 Mercury box though, which is what made him really want mine. Tonight in my backyard sitting around the fire pit, over a bottle of Wild Turkey and a bowl of nug, we finally agreed that being that I'm gonna concentrate on collecting/restoring Lincolns only, for my car collection, the car would be better off in his hands being used as his DD, than just sitting in my yard wasting away waiting for me to get back to it.

He wants me to continue Resto-Modding the car like I have been, and once I'm done with it I'll hand it over to him. He is actually willing to pay the full amount of money for what I have in the car right now, which is just over $1200, and whatever it costs to complete the car, even if it goes up to $10K. So, I guess the good news is that progress will continue on this car little by little as I have time, and she will be going to a great home once completed! If he for some reason flakes on the deal (which isn't likely) then I'll just keep her for myself regardless. Either way this survivor of a Mercury is gonna be put to use one way or another. She will never see a junkyard, unless I drive her there to pick parts for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                        Welp, this rust-free POS got sent to the junkyard earlier today....
                        that is NOT FUCKING FUNNY, gave me that 'feeling' in my stomach, asshole.

wtf....lol

sounds like a cool buddy, he on gmn yet?
                        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                        1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
                          that is NOT FUCKING FUNNY, gave me that 'feeling' in my stomach, asshole.

wtf....lol

sounds like a cool buddy, he on gmn yet?

He isn't really into computers much, and in turn internet forums. Hell, I'm only here myself as much as I am because I have such an undying love for these cars, and on internet forums in general because my mind has an incredible thirst for knowledge of all types, and as such I spend most of my time reading and learning, instead of posting. After he takes possession of the car, I will try and get him to join though.
                          Last edited by LTDMan83; 02-22-2011, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X