1997 Jeep Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Well, I gave up on trying to fight the cancer on my other Jeep. She died on the operating table. I figured after seeing how much money people wanted for their 4x4 Cherokees that replacing the whole thing wasn't a viable option. Then it occurred to me that I have all the parts needed to do a 4x4 conversion! So, I found a really clean '97 2x4 Cherokee for a steal!

Look, ma! No rust!

Plans are to start out where I left off with the other Cherokee. Work will begin soon!

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
    1997 Jeep Cherokee

Worked on this mess all day. Started out the day with 2 running Jeeps, now I have none. But I do have 2 drivetrains sitting on tires! Hopefully tomorrow the '95's guts will be in the '97 and running. But we'll see how much of a wiring nightmare it's going to be- the '97s were a bit of a bastard child when it came to the wiring... second year of OBD II and first year on the new body style... and it's a fuggin' Chrysler anyway, so it really doesn't need any other reasons to be fucked up. Here's a picture of some crap:

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Well, even though my thread hasn't gained much interest (read: no one cares about your stupid Jeep, jackass), I'm bored and I'm just going to go along happily with my build thread.

The '95's engine, trans and transfer case are resting happily in their new home. I was able to get everything bolted in, wired up and plumbed before the shop closed. Had to swap a lot of sensors and the intake manifold over, as well as splicing the transmission harness. The speedometer wires are just a tad too short, so I still have to address that issue. It runs, but I don't know if it'll move under it's own power yet because my driveshaft is too long to bolt in with stock springs. Next up- need to swap rear springs so I can install the driveshaft. I can't stand pushing it in and out of the shop!

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

I am interested, but there aren't enough pictures!

Any particular reason you swapped the whole drivetrain, and not just the transmission and transfer case?
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

i hadnt noticed this thread sorry.....lookin good! that 97 looks cherry!

also was wondering why you didnt use the 97 engine?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
            I am interested, but there aren't enough pictures!

Any particular reason you swapped the whole drivetrain, and not just the transmission and transfer case?
            Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            i hadnt noticed this thread sorry.....lookin good! that 97 looks cherry!

also was wondering why you didnt use the 97 engine?
            Sorry about the lack of pics. I'll try to get more. The batteries were stone cold dead and I didn't have time to pick up some new ones.

Thanks, Scott! The '97 is in pretty decent shape. It does have high miles, but that's a moot point. Also the clear coat is shot on the roof and cowl. And the interior looks and smells like a greasy homeless man lived in it, lol. I actually kinda wanted to keep the carpet, but after getting it out and seeing how truly nasty it was I stuffed it in the garbage can!

There were many reasons I decided to stick with the '95 engine... Sentimental reasons aside, I know its history. I've done the service on it for so long that I know what I'm getting. It's always had oil with the correct ZDDP levels, never really neglected- I know what's been replaced, etc. Also, the '97 engine had a terrible miss coupled with low oil pressure when hot at idle. I just didn't trust it. Plus it really is just easier to unhook the fuel lines, unbolt the motor mounts, unplug the harness and remove a couple accessories than try to squeeze my hand between the engine and firewall. And it was nice doing 90% of the work from up top.
            Last edited by moneypit; 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM.

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

that 97 does look good

omg it makes me want to get a grand wagoneer all over again! never had one, but almost bought one instead of the ranger way back when and i love the way they look!
              GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
              1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
              99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
              03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

I forgot all about this thread! Serious updates are needed! Here's one:

I got REALLY sick of looking at the nasty poo-tan interior and I had some grey leather WJ seats sitting around taking up space, so I sought out some grey XJ guts and pieced it all together. Enjoy!

Before:

Pile of junk!

in progress!

Call me insane, but after living without carpet for a year, I wanted it back! I found a really nasty carpet in the junkyard, but after a LOT of steam cleaning and scrubbing it came out pretty decent aside from some slight discoloration and some cigarette burns, that is. I wish I would have taken before pictures of it... it was so gross I wouldn't even put it inside the jeep to drive home- I strapped it to the roof rack! The only reason I considered doing this was because the carpet hadn't started rotting yet, and I got it WITH the cool "Jeep" logo factory rubber mats for a whopping $10 versus about $250 for the carpet alone new.

As of now, the front seats are in but the back is not. Also, I need to get the headliner redone.

More later!!!

1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                X