Grinding starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding starts

Hey guys I have a 95 town car my problems lately I've been hearing a grinding noise when I start the car. It starts up fine but split sec after it's on it makes this quick grinding noise for like a second which is starting to scare me.

Help I'm not sure what it can be??

You may want to inspect the starter gear and bendix for signs of excessive wear. The bendix could be keeping the starter drive gear engaged to the flexplate for a little bit after starting. Good luck little buddy.

Comment

do these have fender solenoids or just the starter-mounted ones?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

do you have the a/c on when you are doing this? the clutch could be making noise at startup.
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis - duals, PI cams, PI intake, J-Mod, MZT, BOC tune, 3.55s, 18in wheels
        1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero - 5.0 HO T5 Fun Cruiser
        http://www.supermotors.net/users/tmm313

Comment

try starting the car with the climate controls turned off to eliminate that possibility.
          could be a sticking starter bendix, replace the starter if it's ancient, and replace the flexplate

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Solinoid is on the starter.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

the ac isnt on or any climate control yea the like ryan put the solenoid is mounted on the starter

Comment

Originally posted by 87CrownVic View Post
                You may want to inspect the starter gear and bendix for signs of excessive wear. The bendix could be keeping the starter drive gear engaged to the flexplate for a little bit after starting. Good luck little buddy.
                There is no bendix. There's an over running clutch. The mini torque starters have an overrunning clutch.

Comment

lately it does it when it wants to. it happens like every 1 in 3 starts i was told to try to replace the starter solenoid

Comment

Replace the whole starter. For the time you spent taking the starter out and taking it a part to replace the solenoid, you could get a starter for like 50 bucks.

Comment

^^^ This. Inspect the teeth on the flex plate when you drop the starter.

Comment

Yes. I tried my damndest to replace just the solinoid before. Much fail was had. I just replaced the starter and keep on going.

-ryan s.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I'm gonna try to keep you out of AutoZone and having to do this again sooner.

$72
                          http://store.alternatorparts.com/par...-11002-aa.aspx

Comment

^^^^this. Should have mentioned it myself but didn't think about it. I have had very bad luck with both autozone and advanced and would advise you to stick to something like Napa but you have to kinda get to know your local part stores and see where they get their parts and if they have quality on the mind. The best ones IMHO are owned locally. I have never purchased a crappy part from the Napa I go to but like I said it is owned by some old guy and he doesn't sell crap parts.

Comment

lol funny thing is i work at AUTOZONE, so its hard to keep me out

well since im finally off this weekend ill remove the starter we have them at work for $110 then with my 20% off it will be around ninety

i just hope the teeth on the flywheel are not messed up

Comment

Working...
                              X