Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No brake lights????

Hey guys,

Heres the problem. I have no brakelights except for the center high light which works fine. BUT my parking lighs work as well as the turn signals operating correctly, I step on the brakes and nada.

Any Ideas?

George
    1986 Mercury Grand Marquis "5.0" (160,000)

2011 Ford Crown Victoria "4.6" (54,000)

2015 Jeep Wrangler JK Willys "3.6" (48,000)

Try replacing the bulbs, I have had to replace pairs of bulbs on customers cars over the years. It is rare for both to go at the same time but it can happen.
    Current stable:
    1984 Ford LTD Crown Vic
    1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4
    1972 Volkswagen Camper Bus
    2000 Ford Windstar

Comment

But i dont think thats it because of the fact that turn signals, and parking lights light up the bulbs?

George

Comment

the multifuction (blinker/hazard) switch is probably stuck to ground when not engaged to a blinker causing the brakes to not light up.

I'm assuming this is the 86.

It could also be that the hazard switch is out and the hazard flasher is dead/missing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've had multiple bulbs go out at once for some strange reason. I don't know why but only one filiment in the two filiment bulbs went out. I just replaced them and it was back to normal

sigpic

Comment

The brake lights should light regardless of wether the hazzard flasher is there.
            Grab a voltmeter, contort yourself and check the wiring right at the brake switch, one side should have 12 volts at all times, the other should show 12 volts when you hold the brake pedal down. No voltage when you push the brake pedal, bad switch. 12 volts, something with the wiring between the switch and lights.

Alex.

Comment

If the bulbs are dual filament the filaments for the brake lights could be blown. If new bulbs don't do the trick then yes I would start checking for voltage.

The bulbs should be #1157's and I believe are dual filament.
              Current stable:
              1984 Ford LTD Crown Vic
              1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4
              1972 Volkswagen Camper Bus
              2000 Ford Windstar

Comment

Originally posted by Lonnie View Post
                If the bulbs are dual filament the filaments for the brake lights could be blown. If new bulbs don't do the trick then yes I would start checking for voltage.

The bulbs should be #1157's and I believe are dual filament.
                But his turn signals work. The turns and the brakes use the same filament, so it's not the bulbs. Also uses the same wiring to the rear, so it must be something in the brake switch or turn signal/hazard switch.

EDIT: Scratch the brake switch, the center high mount works, so it isn't that either. It's got to be in the turn signal/hazard switch, or the wiring to it....
                Last edited by Steve'87; 08-25-2010, 12:31 AM.
                "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

multifunction switch. The brake switch runs the center light directly, and both side lights through the MF switch. When you flip the turn signal either way, it disconnects that particular lamp from the brake light circuit and powers it through the flasher. If the switch dies in just the right way, it can break the circuit between the brake switch and the brake lights. Since both died, I'd suspect the problem is in the hazard light switch area. You might luck out and mess with the switch to get them working, but I wouldn't bet on it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    multifunction switch. The brake switch runs the center light directly, and both side lights through the MF switch. When you flip the turn signal either way, it disconnects that particular lamp from the brake light circuit and powers it through the flasher. If the switch dies in just the right way, it can break the circuit between the brake switch and the brake lights. Since both died, I'd suspect the problem is in the hazard light switch area. You might luck out and mess with the switch to get them working, but I wouldn't bet on it.
                    Yeah, what he said.
                    "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

I appriciate the help guys. Im going to mess with it after work. Worst case being I'd have to buy a new switch? Correct me if I'm wrong.

George

Comment

pretty much. I'd try hosing the old one out with contact cleaner myself, but then I always have a can on hand.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah. douche it out and see if anything changes first.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Will do, I snagged one from the shop for my 8-Track player in the Montego, the volume switch is a little scratchy.

I'll report back tonight

Thanks again, George

Comment

Well I tried the contact cleaner. Nothing. Guess im in for a new switch

George

Comment

Working...
                              X