No announcement yet.

AOD vs. 4R70W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you need to use the VSS? I don't know what the 91s use for speed sensing. And are the MLPS sensors the same?
    Just curious. I'd like to see this done. I'd like to help with this.
    Oh, and better accerlation and mileage!

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by N A View Post
      I'm going to buy the tranny first, then the other parts. (I thought the '95 F150 4R70W would be perfect for my GM). Looks like the '98-up 4Rs are stronger than the earlier models.
      If the 4R70s follow the same idea as the AOD (which I'm sure it does) the Truck and Lincoln models have longer tailshafts. So you will need to make a custom driveshaft. Or find a Mark VI driveshaft.

Comment

I plan on doing a custom driveshaft. My motor is going to put down double the power the stock motor made.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
        5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

4R70w, a roller 351w lightning lower intake, GT40 upper, 95 Stang computer, I think it would be an interesting build.

Comment

Ouch, $550 for computer garbage just so you can operate the transmission? TOWN's new SilverFox SPT-R valvebody was only $400 .... we're all eagerly awaiting his feedback on it.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

A manual valve body if the same price as a controller. I don't think I would want a mvb in a car that saw alot of miles. But I guess I'm doing a manual valve body swap in it now right? :-P haha

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

The SPT-R is a full automatic valvebody.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I think a controller is still required with the spt-r

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                    Ouch, $550 for computer garbage just so you can operate the transmission? TOWN's new SilverFox SPT-R valvebody was only $400 .... we're all eagerly awaiting his feedback on it.
                    That is if one wanted to run an older computer or a carb with an electronic transmission.

The SPT-R is just a regular valve body, but now uses a full manual 2nd gear, like the later electronic transmissions, with only a solenoid to switch overdrive operation on/off
                    The Overdrive lock out and full manual 2nd gear sounds like a nice option.

Comment

Bringing a good discussion back from the dead! Ini the spring I'll be swapping in a new bottom end on my wagon's 5.0 and I am going to swap the AOD for a 4R70W at the same time. This thread answered all of my questions except these:

1. I want to use a "Marauder" converter...the 11.25" size with furnace brazed fins. will that converted bolt up to a 5.0 flywheel? If not, what do I do?
                      2. will the factory AOD cross member work?
                      3. Is there a standard AOD style speedo cable/VSS combo? I gotta have my cruise control!!
                      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

What year car do you have? 1990-1991 AOD uses the same cross member as 4R70W. You should be able to use a 2000 Explorer 5.0 Flexplate. The tail housing hole dimensions for the VSS, etc is compatible between the AOD and 4R70W.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                          What year car do you have? 1990-1991 AOD uses the same cross member as 4R70W. You should be able to use a 2000 Explorer 5.0 Flexplate. The tail housing hole dimensions for the VSS, etc is compatible between the AOD and 4R70W.
                          I have an 84 wagon. I can probably get my hands on the 90-91 crosmember though. Thanks for all the info. That small converter may be an issues for me since it never came behind a 5.0...might have to drill the flexplate and rebalance or just cough up the dough for an aftermarket one
                          1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Hi guys, I still have one question for you panther chassis experts: I'm just about to install my 4R70W into my 84 wagon but the transmission mount holes on the tranny case are just about 1" further back than the AOD...I'm assuming I can just get the crossmember from an AODE/4R70w panther chassis car and be done with it? Does that sound right?I'm thinking they would have hopefully modded the crossmember and not the mounting location of the crossmember on the frame rails?

Comment

The crossmembers may not be interchangeable. However, early 1992 cars (2/5/92 and earlier) came with an offset transmission mount because of the AOD transmission. If you flip it around, it may work or be close enough that you can make the crossmember slots larger in order to work.

Comment

Crossmembers are completely different on 90+
                                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                                X