No announcement yet.

AOD vs. 4R70W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe that when we put the 302 into what is now John's 92, the crossmember from the wrecked '89 Vic was fit in there to move the transmission further forward so it would bolt to the motor. Based on that, I'll say they will interchange. Then again, I will not claim that my memory on that point is entirely accurate, and its possible that just the trans mount was robbed from the '89 and bolted to the original 1992 crossmember. Either way, that might get you what you need too.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      I believe that when we put the 302 into what is now John's 92, the crossmember from the wrecked '89 Vic was fit in there to move the transmission further forward so it would bolt to the motor. Based on that, I'll say they will interchange. Then again, I will not claim that my memory on that point is entirely accurate, and its possible that just the trans mount was robbed from the '89 and bolted to the original 1992 crossmember. Either way, that might get you what you need too.
      This is what I'm hoping - I just picked up the offset trans mount for the 92's and I'm off the J yard in the AM to see what's available. Looking online, the crossmembers "look" very similar with just the AODE and 4R70Ws appearing to be backset a bit more - which is what I need. I'm bringing my crossmember to check before I buy anything. Never brought a jack to the J yard before but I think that will be the easiest way to get the crossmember out - jack up the back of the tranny.
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

yeah, lift th trans a bit and undo the mounts.

I actually have a totally unknown crossmember in my car. I found it laying on the ground at the junkyard when I went to get one. Not a clue what it came from since there was no car above the spot it lay so it may be out of a later car for all I know. It fit fine though.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Visited the local J yard today...sun is shining on me - there was an AOD 92 Grand Marquis in the yard! I pulled the crossmember and checked it against a late 90's panther and against my box crossmember. Same exact dimensions for all of the bolt locations. Only difference is the 90's and newer crossmembers are thinner and lighter and of course come with the rubber isolators at each end. The key for the 4R70w swap is that offset mount from that AOD equipped 92. I couldn't find that mount anywhere online but it is way different from the earlier or later mounts. I'm fairly confident it could handle as much as 2 inch back from stock if need be. The only thing the thinner later model crossmember gives you is more room if you need to flip that mount...but not much, maybe 1/4 inch.
          1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

well - 4r70w is in! I needed the stock box AOD trans mount with the 92 and newer whale crossmember. Then everything bolted right up! AOD dipstick tube fits perfectly as does the whale 4r70w dipstick tube. Things were too tight with the box crossmember for me. I also would have had to shorten the driveshaft a little less than an inch but I already did that a few years ago when I put in the Lincoln AOD with the longer tailshaft. I also had to swap over to a regular (short like 10.25") AOD tailshaft to match up the rear oil seal with the size of the AOD driveshaft yoke on the shaft. It bolts right onto the 4r70w with no mods.

Comment

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Alex.

Comment

Excellent. This is in what, your wagon?

Comment

Working...
                X