2 ton paperweight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 ton paperweight.

ok my 87 gm is going to kiss a wall if I can't figure out what the hell is wrong with her.

I'll go to start, engine turns over and the starter continues to crank reguardless of running idle. Go to shut off, starter still tries to turn the engine over! The only way I can stop it is by disconnecting the battery.

So far, I have brand new battery cables, went through a starter or two, couple of solenoid relays (currently have a heavy duty relay installed). I went through that circuit with a fine tooth comb and found NO opens in wiring, anywhere.

I heard a rumor that it might be the ignition switch itself sticking in the first crank, which would make a little sense considering it hadn't done it a week or two after the new starter was installed. I was thinking with a new starter, just bumping the ignition cranks her over.

If anyone knows what is going on here help me out before I make a two ton molotov in my driveway!

1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    1965 Cadillac Hearse by M+M "Edgar"
    1964 Mercury Comet Caliente

if you're replaced the starter solenoid (relay) already and it's still doing it, it's the column switch then. next time it does that... remove the little red wire from the starter relay on the fender and see if that stops it. if it does, it's damn sure the ignition switch in the column.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

what he said. the solenoids have been known to do this.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Hook up a voltmeter to that little red wire on the starter solenoid. Go turn the key and watch the meter. If it keeps reading 12v after the key returns to run you've got a switch problem. If it returns to zero consistantly, you need to find someplace else to buy a relay. If your buying them at autozone, get one from napa.

Alex.

Comment

its the ingntion switch in the colume mine did that about a yr ago and never have had a problem since , were in the stl are you ?
          sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
          87 mercury grand marquis
          88 crown vic lx
          89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
          89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
          00 ford crown vic lx hpp
          03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Originally posted by visionmercury View Post
            its the ingntion switch in the colume mine did that about a yr ago and never have had a problem since , were in the stl are you ?
            I say stl because everyone knows where it is. I actually live in Madison, IL about a mile north of the gateway racetrack. Your in O'fallon? I'd love to take a look at your rides sometime!

Comment

I dunno, there seems to be a bunch of crappy starter solenoids lately. I replaced one on an '88 F150 at work, and it did that same thing, took that one back and got another, and the second one is doing it as well. And these were the "premium" solenoids.
              "Beasty Cruiser" '87 Grand Marquis LS 2-Door - Too much damage took its toll. Transmission blew, now a parts car.

Comment

Well, this car always had an issue when it comes to solenoids. I've been running it since last christmas and their have been 4 solenoids installed. The 4th one is the heavy duty I bought from autozone and it seemed awsome when in use. I really hope it isn't the solenoid because this car is going to turn into a molotov if it is.

Comment

Blame the car for 3rd party faulty components.
                  Get a voltmeter and check.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                    Blame the car for 3rd party faulty components.
                    Get a voltmeter and check.

Alex.

Step 3: ?????

Step 4: Profit!
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

If the relay is faulty, and it was just recently replaced, replace it and the starter. Often when the starters begin to fail, they draw excess current and nuke the relay. You can change relays until you're blue in the face but if that starter is the real problem, they're gonna continue to fail until you replace it.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Beat on the starter with a rod. I have seen the starter bendix stick more than a relay stick in the on position.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

The new (3rd starter now) is about 2 weeks old.

On the ignition switch, the haynes manual says something about pulling the steering wheel off. Has anyone ever had to do this?

Comment

just pop the column covers off... you should be able to get to it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you continue to have problems, switch to the mini starter that came on 91s. I am still on my original fender mounted relay.
                              There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                              91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                              93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                              Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                              Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                              95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                              X