No announcement yet.

1980 Two Door Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah yes, the Automatic Overdrive trunk badge. Kind of like the Electronic Fuel Injection fender badge from '83 to '85.

No real "better" or "worse" transmission option, IMO. FWIW, the AOD is said to be basically an FMX with an aluminium case and an extra gear ratio. And slushy hydraulics that like to toast bands so that the transmission fails even though the gearset is relatively strong (or so I'm told).
    Last edited by 1987cp; 11-05-2010, 06:30 AM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Hey guys! It's been awhile since I updated. I belive i told you guys thaat something was killing my battery after I cut the car off. Well the next day it would be dead. I went through 3 different batterys. It wouldnt drain it while runing but when I cut it off and try to crank it the next day.

So i got to messing around with it yesterday and looking at things. I seen that solenoid looked to be factory so I went ahead and replaced that. I noticed that the key switch would turn with out the keys. I went ahead and replaced that as well. I put a battery in it and the next day she rolled over great! I was begining to think I had a wiring issue. I despise wiring problems.

I also got a trunk lid for and a whole extra front end and a bunch of other parts thanks to Brandon (ltdman 83) from his 87 crown vic.

Comment

I have a 99 crown vic that I would love to do a rear disc brake setup. Is there any thing I need to keep off of this car? I know the rearend but not sure if I need the front rotors or brake or anything.

Comment

Glad all those parts from my old Vic went to use.

I would have hated to see them all get crushed and wasted.

Comment

Well, Brandon needs to sell his 2-Door LTD Slicktop, so it looks like I'm gonna be taking this baby off of his hands.

I like how stripped down and Base this model is, it will be perfect for me to build into a lightweight 351W powered street rod. According to Brandon, (who has excellent judgement when assessing the shape of a car) other than the stock trunk lid and hood, she's a solid and rust-free North Carolina car, which is the #1 most important thing to me. Only, possible gripe I see is that I hope that's not a non-tilt column, if so I will have to swap that out for a tilt column. He also has a nice replacement Trunklid and Hood, that he is giving me with the car, which is very excellent that I don't have to go on another 2yr long 79-87 LTD CV Trunk lid junkyard search. You'd be surprised how incredibly hard it is to find a good 79-87 LTD CV trunk lid in any junkyards. This car reminds me alot of my first LTD Crown Vic that I bought 12yrs ago when I was 16 and had just gotten my license, and I'm looking forward to giving her a good and permanent home!

Going to pick 'er up, and drive 'er back home next week. Before anyone says anything, worry not pic hungry mangs, pics are coming. I'll start a thread for the car with pics sometime after I get it back home.

Comment

Yep. Hopefully he'll buy it. That's the only way I'll sell it is if someone on here buys it. I have not listed the car for sale. I wanted someone to have it that I know. And brandon seems to take care of his cars and I don't mind selling it too much. Least I know its in good hands. Im just tired of seeing it set and me not doing nothing to it. This car really needs to be touched and looking good.

And yes brandon it is the tilt column. Plain base model. Runs good and can definitely tell that it is lighter than my 89. Great car to start with.

Comment

Light is nice. My '81 was supposedly 3460# stock; if that's true, I doubt it's a whole lot over 3300# as is.

Comment

Jeez, I would have bought that if he didn't. I'd love a rust free 2 door!
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yep, definitely buying it if it's in the shape he described it to be. All I care about is it being mostly Rust-Free, anything else is easily fixed to me.

It will be getting a very good home mang I assure you. I have a garage lined up to store her in already, until I finish my Mark VI and can get started on her full force. Shouldn't be very long before I've mostly finished the Mark, and then I'll get started on this car.

See ya on Tuesday mang!

Comment

Welp, I got 'er home, after mucho hassle. The car made it about half way before it died, and would not start again. Even holding or the tying Choke open and flooring the pedal, it still wouldn't stay running. Sat on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere for about 2 hours, until thankfully a good friend with a Tow Bar saved the day, and a Dodge Minivan towed the car home the remainder of the 30 miles. She is now sitting safely in my driveway.

The shit I go through for old cars...

Thanks though Brandon, I'm really diggin on her thus far. The car has a for sure permanent home now in my 80's Ford's collection.

Comment

That's really aggravating when the old engine gives up completely. The 2150 I rebuilt got to the point where I had to floor it just to keep it running and limp home, and my 255 got to the point where I couldn't even get it to start.

Still, bet it's really neat to have it home! And who cars about the engine, tossing a carb on a roller 5.0 is pretty cheap.

Comment

When I brought mine home I got it about five miles away from the dudes apartment and the radiator hose blew...on an Easter Sunday, after five...funny thing was I drove right past grandma's house on the way to pick it up, there was spares sitting right there! ended up using AAA to get a tow...
                          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Hate that man. Never died on me before. That's weird. All well. Maybe you can go with a different setup on it.

Comment

Yea, shit happens with old cars, I expect it already beforehand, so its no big deal when it happens.

Tried to start her up again today, and she is pretty much completely comatose now. Once I get the time I'm gonna mess with the carb, and see if I can get her to run right again. Great, rust free car though, with a nice custom dual exhaust setup w/ Flowmasters on it. The interior is in nice shape, but needs a thorough cleaning, and smells like a typical musty late 70's/early 80's car, if you know that smell then you know what I mean. Never realized how much better those early model 79-81 Side View Mirrors where until now, makes you wonder what genius at ford decided to move them further down the door in '82 and then keep them there for the remainder of the boxes run until '91.

I also love the lack of vent windows on this car, I'm not a fan of vent windows. The '80 Front Bumper is pure win as well, since we don't have to have front license plates here in NC. As far as exterior looks go, this car is basically the LTD that I always wanted to build, exactly how I wanted it already from the factory (base model slicktop). Looking forward to getting started on the car, but for now I need to get her running again, so that I can move the car around as I need to. I'll start my own thread for the car soon.

Comment

Be sure to buy a new air-freshener
                                '79 Continental Town Car
                                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                                X