Engine knock and oil pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    basically the fuel map and timing curve. In mechanical terms, its changing jets in the carb and re-curving the distributor. You do that when you monkey with the cam or other engine specs enough that the stock programming isn't properly suited. You also mess with the tune to put in bigger injectors, delete egr functions, etc. The stock ECM is not programmable as far as I know, only certain processors are compatible with the tuners. Probably more because nobody gives a rat's *** about tuning a stock Vic, but people are interested in messing with HO powered vehicles. Consdering the first thing we usually do to these cars to make any sort of real power is convert to HO or better specs, I can't say I disagree.

I think only one 5.0 HO computer is tweecable and has cruise, the d9s or somesuch other nonsense.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Guys, you are awesome. I am learning soo much about this car from you.
      And I know this thread is all over the place and for this I apologize but I enjoy the general chit chat and conversations in this thread. Feel free to hijack as I am learning from most every post.
      I have asked questions from how to fix the old engine to what do I need for the new engine in this thread and you guys still lend a helping hand. This is all over the place.

Well I now have a decent path forward. I even contemplated swapping the oil pump just to see if I can nurse this thing some more. I mean it doesn't even knock at all till warm no matter how much I punish it but...
      I decided to just yank this engine and be done with it. Forget throwing money in this hole. I started working on it this afternoon after dinner and have the alternator, PS pump and bracket, distributor, upper intake plenum, radiator and fan removed. I have a dental procedure tomorrow and soccer for my son but I will try to get back on it tomorrow. This sucka is coming out fo sho and I am done with it!

So no longer is this a frugal money saver project. It is time to break the bank and just go for it. Like I have said it will be an explorer GT40p engine. Hopefully a 2000-2001 with low miles. From there I will need your advice. I have been told to get a Mark VII computer but what if I plan to swap the cam. Should I plan on MAF and a different computer??? I will have many more questions for sure and maybe I should start a new thread and be more specific in the meaan time keep it all coming.

BTW-- Damn there is a shit load of little vacuum lines behind that upper plenum! DAMN!!!
      I labeled them and all of the harness connections so I don't get lost when reinstalling.

Comment

If you're planning to do a cam swap, you may be better off just doing mass air now so you have the flexibility. Some people have had drivability issues with P head explorer motor swaps with the mark vii ECM, some have had no problems at all. I truly wish I understood what the variable is that makes some work and some not.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I went to a junkyard today. Mark VIII but no VII. Plenty of mustangs and a few explorers but no good engines. I have a connection for that anyway. but all the other stuff I will need to be on the look out for.

What should I be collecting for a mass air conversion?
          I assume I don't need the VII ECM. Do I still use the TC ECM for just cruise?
          Do I have to have the mustang ECM or can I use the Explorer ECM... Wait a minute let me answer that, NO. The mustang is the only one that uses mass air. LOL
          I need to do some more reading on this swap.

Is the mass air easy enough right now since I am still in the teardown stage? Can the cost of this mod be controlled reasonably?

Comment

5.0 Mustang ecm, A9M or A9P program codes if you can find them, but any will work.

parts are relatively easy and cheap. To make it look mostly factory with junkyard parts, an approximate list follows:
            90s vic/gm/tc MAF. You want the one thats big all the way through, believe mine came off a 94
            air box lid from same car
            air pipe from a 98+ vic, or ideally for an 03+ vic. Plug off the extra pipes, I used regular iron pipe plugs with RTV for sealer.

you can either buy a mass air conversion harness which has the connector for the maf itself and the couple of ecm pins you'll need, or you can make one. If you want to make one, you need the actual MAF connector plug, and a spare ecm connector to harvest a couple of pins from. Also need wire to go between the plug and the pins. If you're doing the twin brain thing, you'll need the ecm connector anyway. The most expensive part of this will likely be the ECM if you have to buy one, they usually go about 50-100 used. Wiring it in isn't too hard, you can do it at any time.

stock ecm needs to be retained for cruise. Info on how to do this here, it was written for a mark 7 but its the same stuff

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00077.html
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks alot. Remember I have a '95 TC Limo at my disposal. Sounds like I can get what I need from it. I will have to look at the MAF on it to see if it is the big one like you said.

Will still need to find a mustang ECM though.

Comment

oh, you don't want 94+ Mustang ECMs. 89-93 are the useful ones. 94+ has majorly different wiring. Its possible to use one, but instead of moving 3 pins you're moving like 30. I've also heard the tune on them sucks but I've never looked into it beyond realizing I didn't want to do that much re-pinning of my harness.

Comment

gadget I must say thank you. You stuck with me and I get most of my info from you. This place rocks. more so than Linc online.

I pulled the mass air sensor from the '95 TC limo. I tried to crudely measure it and got 75 - 77 mm does that sound right?
                  Tried to pull the TB but it was ceased on there good. I will try more when I get more day light. Do you think this TB will work on my setup?

Well I pulled the A/C and air pump off tonight and I must say that, DAMN, that A/C bracket is a bitch fo' sho' two piece with two of the bolts (one of them the tensioner bolt hold down) ON THE BACK OF IT!!! WTH were they thinking? Anyway all is good. Got the air pump valves back off and in the trash can now!
                  Can I just cut the air pump pipes at the exhaust and weld them closed?
                  TN does not have emissions checks.

And thanks I will look for a 89-93 mustang ECM from a 302. A9M or A9P preferably.

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Hell, cut the pipes, cap the back of the heads, remove the pump and the diverter assembly, and throw a shorter belt on 560k6.
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

yeah, shitcan the air pump stuff. Its useless other than to make irritating noises. I got rid of the one on the Towncar years ago, and the Mark is next. The Townie sounded like a 50s scifi movie and the Mark sounds like a gnome with a jackhammer is under the hood.

Comment

Mine just made farting noises.
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

mine queefed
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I would have left it on there then. LOL

Comment

mine sounds like a supercharger when it's bloody cold out. (88mgm - other cars don't have it)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Update:
                                Well I got the engine out of the '90.
                                I have been going out every night about 9:00 till 10:30 or 11:00. Little at a time. New baby and all restricts time in shop big time! Anyway it came out no prob. Lifted it a tad and pulled. then disconnected the ground wires from the rear of the block and bam! It's out. No helpers by myself. Easy as pie!
                                Makes me happy. Now I can clean the compartment up and start the painting process. I will probably get my exploder engine in a week or two depending on finances. Then I will star a whole new thread with lots of questions. Mild mods... for now...! muuuuuhaaahaaha. Then the big mods will come later.

Thanks again guys!

P.S. I have been taking plenty of pics. I will have plenty to show you once it gets interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X