No announcement yet.

V-10 in a Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, keep us posted, and if you aren't too far away in PA I'd love to see it in person.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Hey Folks,not much to post about today.I have been working on other things ,getting ready for winter,House,Yard,other rides-It does not hurt to have a backup car in Michigan for the winter time!...So to answer Your question,MrLTD I'm not in Pa. And thanks for the offer to help Me,Lincolnmania. One of the things that I've been doing ,is researching the wire harness that came with the motor/trans.It was from a bare chs. that is made for the motorhome builders to use.I have acc.to m/h build books that have lots of pinout info to wade around in!....Most important thing on My to do list right now is to straighten out My Garage,and add more shelving for parts storage....Back to the motor length questions I have found so many different things listed its funny!But I have the real thing right in front of Me,and by My tape I see nothing that can't be removed,relocated ect.I also have the mounts on the motor that are for the strip/frame m/h use.I dont have a clue what aero mounts look like,But in the pics I loaded of the v10,the mount can be seen on the right side view. Anybody that have seen the aero mount please compare,and post any diff.noted...Thanks......WingFoot.....

Comment

Hello.

Some notes:

1. The V10, from bellhousing face to the outside edge of the pulley is right around 27 1/2-28 inches, just like a 302. Keep in mind, however, that I used my T-bird 5.0 for reference; I only have one serpentine belt vs. two in a Box....so a V10, at least from crank pulley to bellhousing face, will be shorter than a completely-assembled Box 302/351W by an inch or so.

2. You got the wrong V10 to use. Sorry. You have a 2004-down 2-valve V10, and to be honest, there's really no point in installing it, unless you're adding a blower; the 2005-up 3-valve is THE engine to install (for a number of reasons, and if interested, I can elaborate on what they are), and since all V10's are essentially stretched SOHC motors (although with a different crank and possessing balance shaft over the right-side cylinder head, a V10-only feature) has the same bellhousing face as the 4.6/5.4, and uses a Cobra 8-bolt flywheel, you can use a Mustang T45 5-speed behind it, or get an adapter to use a modded AOD.

3. I'd like to see it done. I just don't want you to build something that's going to be oversized, overweight, and underpowered, because if you're using a 2-valve V10, you might as well just add a M90 blower to a 302 instead, and be done with it, as there's very little you can do to a 2004-down V10 to get it to produce any power (unless you have cubic dollars), and with the size and weight penalty of this monster engine....yes, it will have a nice exhaust note, but with the extra few hundred pounds of the V10 and 4R100....it's going to be a tank. The old motor is why those few old V10 projects failed for the most part, the 2V engine really is a turd for all intents and purposes, and I've turned down a free low-mile 2001 V10 exactly for this reason.

4. With the weight penalty of this engine/tranny combo....you might as well go with a diesel....or find a 2005-up motor and use a Mustang tranny. The 4R100 really is overkill for what you're doing here.

5. Regardless of whatever happens, I'm extremely interested in this build, as I want to install one into either a Box or my T-bird....the 2005-up engine, anyway.
        Last edited by ; 09-19-2010, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
          4. With the weight penalty of this engine/tranny combo...

...The 4R100 really is overkill for what you're doing here.
          You beat me to it. I was going to suggest using a 4R70 or 4R75, the length and weight will be much more box-friendly than that 4R100. I went from an AOD to 4R70W with a 351 and I am approaching the land of no room on my X-member, take that to a 4r100 length, you're in custom trans crossmember welding and specialty-driveshaft territory all while adding 100+ pounds in addition to the added engine weight.
          sigpic
          https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
          1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
          1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
          2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
          2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

More pics? VIDEO?

Comment

Good day everybody,I have more pictures to show...For Haters..and lovers....I've just shot these for any input about the mounts....Enjoy....WingFoot...
              Last edited by wingfootwagon; 09-22-2010, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Dam...didn't work....I'll try later.....

Comment

manage attachments. select pics, upload, done...

Comment

Originally posted by wingfootwagon View Post
                    Good day everybody,I have more pictures to show...For Haters..and lovers....I've just shot these for any input about the mounts....Enjoy....WingFoot...
                    I'll be interested to see your progress on this.

I think it'll be really neat.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

sounds like a crazy build to me. hope it all works out for you, have fun with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
                      "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
                      "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
                      "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
                      "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

Sorry ,I'm having trouble uploading pictures....lacking a security token?...wtf?...It worked last time when I had posted the first pics....Well,I was able to add them to My album,if anyone wants to see what I was trying to upload...More views of the mounts that came with it,and a look down the mouth of the Beast...and the air tube that fits from t.b. to m/h air filter....I was wondering...Anybody ever try a tilt front end on a box?....Or...A straight axle,Ladder bar/coil overs,narrowed 9 in.Gasser style street freak?...Engine set back like no.1 plug on front axle center line...crash thru the firewall/repair with nice new one,lose the cowl/hvac stuff...It is a drag car to play with...As long as one can dream, WingFoot

Comment

you can't upload on edits. gotta start a new post. at least that's what it's done to me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            you can't upload on edits. gotta start a new post. at least that's what it's done to me.
                            Click on 'go advanced', and then 'manage attachments'.
                            Last edited by ; 09-22-2010, 08:32 PM.

Comment

not on edits. give me this...

"slymer, you do not have permission to access this page. ..."

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yup...tried that this mourning,and then three more times after I got home from the salt mine...It said the security token thingie..I did get to load more pics on My album,like I said even did the advanced thing,still nothing... I left a message for the addmin....just fubar!..LOL!...Anyone on here have any pics to post of the frame and motor mounts for an aero to look at to compair?....also the crossmember WILL be a fabricated unit,I've already been working on that...anyone hang a nine inch under a box?..or know of any swaps that will take the tq. of the "Turd"?....gears and diff are not a problem,just the housing is all that I want right now at this time....Just hunting/gathering for the winter,said the Ant to the Grasshopper.....WingFoot....

Comment

Working...
                                X