Chrome Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, willy.

That harlequin paint is expensive shit, and impossable to "panel paint" if you fuck your car up...

Around 4 grand to paint ur car
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Eastwood makes a reflective silver paint for refinishing headlight reflectors. They say it's the closest to chrome you can get in a spray paint. After seeing that mirrachrome, I'm not so sure. But regardless, it's alot cheaper. It also says not to use on chrome trim, but it doesnt say not to use on plastic trim.... all this being said, why not just paint the trim chameleon or something fancy like that?

well i could stay on here all day, but it's time to huff some clearcoat
      1988 Ford Mustang coupe: 4cyl conversion, 5spd, 600cfm holley, roller rockers, headers, 2.5\" mac exhaust, alum. driveshaft, HD clutch, poor mans posi, blah blah blah.....

1993 Sable: Ultra Beater

Comment

You could be like me, and paint ur chrome body color, lol..

Comment

Well MY main concern is my grille, since it's pretty big. I thought about making it white... but I really like chrome. Kinda like Grandpa's Lincoln likes white walls so much... I'm a sucker for chrome. And I'm making my grille out of styrofoam, to shape it, and fiberglassstrips /Z-Poxy finishing resin over the styrofoam. I'm now wondering if there's a certain type of primer I should use for fiberglass/epoxy.

Comment

Yeah, cause you cant paint styrofoam....

Well, you can, but wathc the styrofoam dissolve before your very eyes

Comment

Well, yeah, I knew that.... but even if for some reason I DIDN'T want to paint it, styrofoam alone would bust to peices with a 60mph air current hitting it in the face.

So any special primer? What would you, and/or the experts reccomend?

Comment

We shall wait to see what willy says...

Comment

What about Duplicolors Metalcast? I used it to make stripes on my car but they came out blue with a little metallic flakes. I think it is best used on an actual chrome surface beforehand... I still have the blue laying around with some spare chrome pieces... Now I want to know if it will turn out good. But the reason on the car it did not come out chromy is because I never used their basecoat that they have. Take a look at it because now I am going to retry it on chrome to see how it looks... if it is good, I might just paint my bumpers blue chrome.
                  http://duplicolor.com/products/metalcast.html
                  *To a Circus Theme*
                  I like chicken, lots a chicken.
                  Chick chicka chicken.
                  Chick chicka chicken.
                  Drudadrudadruda drumstick.

Now this is some sig abuse!
                  *NOTE: Work is very boring*

Comment

Wow, Ive seen that stuff..

And yes, you needed the "ground coat" finish, which is prob like a chrome...

Comment

Hmm... it says for painted surfaces, first put on duplicolor metalcast reflective ground coat, then put the metalcast color on.

I wonder if I could use the reflective ground coat, and then put the duplicolor instant chrome enamel over that. I have a can of it, but I just used some spray primer before spraying it on (just testing it out). It didn't look too swift.

Comment

Try just reflective ground coat on something....

if it looks like chrome, just clear it!

Comment

I guess I need to go down to O'Squirrely and pick up a can of reflective ground coat. See how that helps. SHould I still prime first, then reflective ground coat, then chrome, then clear? Or is the reflective "ground coat" intended to truly be the first coat?

Comment

what is this chrome you speak of???

Comment

If you just have a piece to practice on... try the ground coat by itself, then with a primer, then a ground with a clear and then a primer with ground and clear... might as well see if anything comes out looking close... cover all bases.
                              *To a Circus Theme*
                              Chick chicka chicken.
                              Chick chicka chicken.
                              Drudadrudadruda drumstick.

Now this is some sig abuse!
                              *NOTE: Work is very boring*

Comment

"Dulicolor Chrome"

http://duplicolor.com/products/gold-chrome.html .

I also have a can of Duplicolor Aluminum "high heat with ceramic." I know it's not going to be all shiny and what not, but some school mates and I used that on a nose cone of a model rocket once, it didin't look too bad.

http://duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

Comment

Working...
                                X