Horn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horn?

What is a good aftermarket horn? Mine sounds funny its the stock one from my 95 town car. I like the ones from 88-91 crown vics, but I want one a little louder but not awfully loud that it's annoying

Any suggestions?

I have heard some members having success with a certain year (Early to mid '90's ? ) Cadillac horns.

It seems easy for those guys to find them at junkyards.

Or this...

http://www.hornblasters.com/

Comment

+1 for train horns.

Nothing beats 200 psi of ear-drum blowing power.

sigpic
      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

the "freeway blasters" you typically find in auto parts stores are very close to OEM style high/low tones. I put a high and low tone freeway blaster on my suzuki I used to have and it sounded just like my dad's vic at the time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I plan on putting the horns off my old 95 Park Avenue on the Merk. Those damn things will shake the snow off a car.
          Grant
          2000 Grand Marquis 145,000 mi.
          No mods

Comment

Originally posted by Rizzo View Post
            I have heard some members having success with a certain year (Early to mid '90's ? ) Cadillac horns.

It seems easy for those guys to find them at junkyards.

Or this...

http://www.hornblasters.com/
            this.

there are usally 4 on a caddi. and they are loud as fuck...but they aint no train horn lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I bought an awoogah horn on ebay. 30 bucks and it sounds fucking ridiculous.
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                +1 for train horns.

Nothing beats 200 psi of ear-drum blowing power.
                This. I was totally deafened by them when you silly pranksters let loose on her while everyone was just goofing off.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

if you want something a little louder than stock but fairly cheap go with horns of a ford expedition. btw i second the train horns scotts is louder than loud and ecos off of everything.
                  89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I'm gonna have to raid a Caddy for it's horns. They sound so much more "big car" than the Lincoln horns.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I never got any pictures but I took the horns off of a 92 Cadillac sedan deville.

They were mounted one on each side of the engine compartment. My 95 Grand marquis had them both mounted on a bracket in front of the driver side front tire behind the bumper.

Make sure you get the plugs off of the harness for the Cadillac horns and the way the the harness was designed on mine you had one plug that plugged into a harness that wired the horns in parallel. I removed the harness from the two horns and cut off the last plug which leaves only on plug that was designed to plug into the first horn and the vehicle harness.

Use whatever to fill the holes like silicone or dielectric grease and tape it up so what you have left is the plug that goes to the vehicle harness and two wires sticking out. Solder the two plugs you got from the Cadillac horns in parallel to these two wires and your harness is done. This way you don't have to cut into the vehicle harness making this plug and play and if you ever want to put stock horns back you didn't cut anything so all you have to do is plug it back up.

I had to modify the bracket to bolt the cadillac horns on now you can just reinstall the bracket. My advice from here is to relocate it because the original location of the horn allows ice and all the other crap from the road to build up in and on them and believe me ice will render your horn inoperable or make it sound like crap. The harness is long enough so you don't have to extend any wires you just need to get it out of the loom and you can bring your horns up to the core support between the grill and radiator.

Since I installed these horns and relocated them I have had no problems with ice or any other road junk and I have great sounding Cadillac horns.

I may get some pics someday but I am more likely to get them if there is a demand to see my system.

Comment

I demand to see your system. More info surrounding anything never hurts.
                        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

lol ok I will see what I can come up with.

Comment

Ok since I was asked to provide some info on this I took some pictures and even made a video. I also made some hillbilly schematics so here goes.

First of all this is what the original horn looks like ( at least for a 1995 GMQ)

This is my crude drawing of the wiring harness for the original horns. It also shows where I cut the harness.

This is how I wired the two plugs for the cadillac horns into my harness. Also keep in mind that you will need to use a meter and find out which wire on the harness is positive and you need to to some hot wiring of the new horns and or see which wires are positive while it is still in the donor car if you can. If you can access the schematics great but I didn't have them so away with a meter I went.

Here is a pic of the whole core support and you should be able to see where the horns are mounted. (Notice there is no wig wag module or push bumper)

Here is a photo directly above the horns and as you can see they are between the grille and radiator and are concealed when the core support cover is installed. Also I did not need to modify the original horn bracket but I did neer to modify the cadillac brackets and they could not be removed because they are welded to the horn casing. All I had to do was cut off a bit and drill a hole and I was able to bolt them to the original bracket where the original horns were bolted.

This is where the vehicle harness plugs into the horn harness and you can see the electrical tape to cover the holes that used to plug into the first horn. I filled those with dielectric grease.

These are the wires for the horn at the loom. There is plenty of wire to relocate it from the original mounting location to where I put it so you don't need to cut it like I did before I realized I didn't need to extend it.

Here is the original location which is in front of the driver side front wheel and it was bolted on one of the bumper bolts. This location = crap all over your horn and a horncicle in the winter.

You can see there is no barrier to keep crap from flying off the tire all over the horn.

I have also included a video which is a mini tour of this and my headlight relay upgrade among a few other things. Just click the link below.

Click this for the video.

The best advice out of all of this is the relocation of the horns believe me the original location sucks. I hope someone finds this helpful and enjoy.
                            Last edited by 87gtVIC; 10-02-2010, 05:15 AM.

Comment

"sounds like a dying cow" lol

Good job mang. Was there no more room in the under hood fuse box to accommodate the headlight relays and fuses?
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X