Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Los Angeles newbie

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&ref=fbx_album
    Hey- I bought my 1985 Crown Vic about a year ago with 42,000 miles for $1500. It was a one owner car, that owner having passed away. I bought it from a neighbor who acquired it through probate. It took the neighbor 7 years to get the car with the car sitting under it's carport unused before I bought it.

I bought the car because of the low mileage and my 93 cvpi was worn out and I needed a new driver. The paint was real dirty, the turbines were corroded and it was super slow on the test drive but I could tell the miles were original. When I drove it home I was nervous when the trans went into third gear because it was like the car hit a brick wall. Turned out the TV linkage was real sticky and needed a good oiling. Also the cold AC stopped working a couple weeks later . After I cleaned up the paint and chrome It looked real nice. I went to the junkyard and bought turbines for 130 to replace the corroded originals and got new whitewall tires with a thick white wall like the original tires had. The car would stall frequently at first because of dirty injectors so I just added cleaner to the gas for a couple thousand miles. After a major tune up and flush it started running alot better.

So I don't ramble on forever I'll try to wrap this up... I found this site shortly after I bought this car and have found lots of helpful info on here and have enjoyed checking out what everyone has done to there cars. I have performed lots of upgrades and many threads have been tremendous help. Thought it was time to join up and say hello!

Things I've done:
    -limo tint in the back
    -custom auxiliary gauge console (inspired by 85hpp)
    -pioneer cd player and pioneer speakers (removed factory premium sound)
    -front and rear police sway bars
    -factory dual exhaust upgrade (junkyard hpipe new muffler and napa tailpipe)
    -monroe heavy duty police shocks
    -transGo hp shift kit + magnets in pan + bronze tv bushing
    -heavy duty trans cooler with brackets
    -new 3 row heavy duty radiator
    -all new sensors for the engine
    -cleaned egr spacer(totally clogged by the way)
    -new cfi gaskets
    -reverse lid air cleaner setup(sounds good + alitte more power)
    -lincoln town car headers (driver side needed a cutoff wheel modification plus a gasket)
    -3g alternator upgrade

As of now the car is driving great and now has 55,000 miles.

I tried uploading pictures... hopefully I was successful!

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 09-27-2010, 05:53 AM.

AYE!! Another California fella!

Sounds like you did some pretty good stuff to your '85.

Welcome to the Forum mang.
    1990 EFI Crown Vic Lx sigpic
    1964 Lincoln Continental (not running)
    1963 Lincoln Continental (running)
    1995 Honda Accord(Stolen)

Comment

Welcome to GMN.
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome to Gmn mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Welcome mang. You did a lot of great work. I am eager to see what you have done. Try uploading the pictures to photobucket and then posting the IMG linked pics here.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome to the Party!

Can't wait to see some pics!

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome to the site!

It sounds like your freshing up the car a bit. Unfortunatly there is no pics. Try Image Shack or some other site.
              Last edited by Brandon; 09-27-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

[/IMG] Hey everybody- Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Loading pictures is proving difficult for me... 87gtvic- I took your advice on the photobucket stradegy, but my execution might be off target though. I'm gonna try loading tonight... otherwise my friend can help me tomorrow... so tomorrow at the latest.

Comment

[IMG] [/IMG]

Comment

Oh there we go! Nice looking car man! Looks real clean!

Comment

welcome to the cfi club. get ready for a whole bunch of cfi whackiness.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Thanks to 87gtvic for the picture loading! ald872000- good to represent boxes in CA! Everyone wants to drive a Prius out here and thats gay. How do you get pride of ownership from a Prius? Brandon- Thank you! MattsGrandMarquis- Good to represent cfi! So far so good... I replaced most of the sensors already. What is whacky is how sensitive the tv pressure screw is! You change the choke or breath on that screw and the Trans feels totally different. When I put the 3G alternator on the choke wanted to stay on and rev alot higher...so I adjusted the choke... then I had to mess with the tv screw again... haha

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
                          Thanks to 87gtvic for the picture loading! ald872000- good to represent boxes in CA! Everyone wants to drive a Prius out here and thats gay. How do you get pride of ownership from a Prius? Brandon- Thank you! MattsGrandMarquis- Good to represent cfi! So far so good... I replaced most of the sensors already. What is whacky is how sensitive the tv pressure screw is! You change the choke or breath on that screw and the Trans feels totally different. When I put the 3G alternator on the choke wanted to stay on and rev alot higher...so I adjusted the choke... then I had to mess with the tv screw again... haha
                          if it were me, and i had a nice black 85MGM at 1 time i would change over to SEFI to be honest but to each thier own welcoem to GMN
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Nice work. Car looks great.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks guys. @zoomie- SEFI would be nice, I agree. I'm gonna leave well enough alone for now though... I feel for an '85 it runs real strong now with the upgrades I've done. The back power windows and passenger power door lock are now next on the list haha. In my dreams I'd like to see a 351 cleveland under the hood- anybody ever done that? I have a '73 Mach 1 and a Gran Torino I'm beefing up so the '85's role is more of the dependable driver for now.
                              BTW I learned on here about the Impala SS tailpipes fitting a Crown Vic... I figured they'd work on my Gran Torino because the chassis look about the same... and they fit great! Thanks Grandmarq.net!

Comment

Working...
                              X