No announcement yet.

{Steering} bad tie rod end? -- pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the drag link doesnt have any ball joints in it... I suppose the yard is the only replacement option if the holes are eggy.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

You're right, it doesn't now that I think about it. OK, so it just gets cleaned off and painted. The rest goes!
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
        I think I got mine for like $24 each, but I'm not pleased with them. Less than a year old and one of the dust boots is split. Spicer brand. Not impressed.

When I rebuild the front end I'm going to replace them and the sleeves, along with the pitman arm, idler arm and drag link just so everything under there will be new. I might do the steering box at this time too if we can nail down the specifics on use of a newer PI steering gear on a box.
        found this for ya
        http://www.p71interceptor.com/steeri...rtnumbers.html
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

my set of tie rods were < $100 off ebay and the sleeves were 12 and change at my local NAPA.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

i bought 4 new tie rod ends on ebay for 48 shipped.........an idler arm from pep boys 28 bucks......a pitman arm from pep boys 28 bucks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just adding the link to the alignment thread as I feel that it is fitting to this subject.

Wheel alignment info regarding tires/rims

Comment

So, I buy my parts. Paid more than I wanted too. Moog is the brand I got.

Got home. Opened the boxes. What do I find?

One of the rod ends has a big green inspection tag wired to it. Marked "OK" for shipping. Compared to the other rod ends it looks like crap.

One adjustment sleeve is sealed in a bag and is brand new. The other one had no bag and is clearly used. I am not happy at all. :cuss:

Now I have to fuckin' drive all the way back down there tomorrow morning and reorder that shit. :cuss: :cuss: When I pay for new it had better be new.

Comment

d'oh!!!!

raise some hell!
                  and never hesitate to open boxes and check out your parts before you pay.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i agree. if i a parts store has a problem with you inspectincg the merchandise , especially a safety item like tie-rods. run away
                    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by evilcrownvic
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      I think I got mine for like $24 each, but I'm not pleased with them. Less than a year old and one of the dust boots is split. Spicer brand. Not impressed.

When I rebuild the front end I'm going to replace them and the sleeves, along with the pitman arm, idler arm and drag link just so everything under there will be new. I might do the steering box at this time too if we can nail down the specifics on use of a newer PI steering gear on a box.
                      found this for ya
                      http://www.p71interceptor.com/steeri...rtnumbers.html
                      I've seen that before, it says the input shafts are different, so the challenge is going to be finding out how to mate the parts. I have to look under the hood of a new one, but I'm thinking mate it at the universal joint in the shaft, or cut/weld the shafts together. There must be a way, the trick is finding it.

And I'm also 100% for inspecting parts before walking out of the store. I've never had bad parts given to me, but constantly I get handed the wrong parts.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hasn't Scott done that upgrade already? You need the whole shaft up the the column. Should be slide in. Not positive about it though.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                          I'd do both even though that one doesnt look bad.
                          When the time comes to do one of mine, I plan to replace all 4 (inner and outer) with new sleves as well.
                          GOOD idea. This will make the job easier. Counting the turns isn't really necessary. You'll do a much better job by removing one side, and then assembling the sleeves/ends so that they match up to the old assembly as close as possible by eye. I put the new one right up to the old one and got it almost exact.
                          BTW, I know what a "drag link" is.....are you referrring to a pitman arm as a drag link?

Good Day
                          1993 GM LS 244K
                          29.5mm PI front bar, ENS greaseable bushings, 21mm rear bar, ENS bushings, endlinks. Black steelies, center caps. Stewart-Warner mechanical oil pressure guage. K&N filter

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII 144K
                          All airbags are now coils/struts. Junk tranny, motor donor car

Mercury Owners Group

If you don\'t like what I have to type, don\'t read it. It is only my opinion, nothing more.

Comment

Drag link is that big bar between the pitman arm and the idler arm. Both tie rods attach to it. Its also called a center link, which is probably the correct name.

Hasn't Scott done that upgrade already? You need the whole shaft up the the column. Should be slide in. Not positive about it though.
                            Not yet, but my car might be the guinea pig. My steering box randomly makes strange noises, and it had a lot of slop when I got it. I got most of it out by tweaking the preload adjustment on top of the box, but from what everyone tells me, if you have to touch that adjustment, the box is pretty much fried. It steers smooth with no binding but the seal on the bottom is leaking, and I'd rather not have it decide to shit the bed on me because I pushed my luck too far.

Comment

Got the new tie rod ends and sleeves on today.

The old tie rod ends were loose enough in the joint that I could moved them with my hands while they were on the car. The new ones are pretty tight. I can't move them at all with my hands while they are on the car. Are they supposed to be snugged up like that? The boots on the outside tie rod ends are a bit squished. Is that normal? The bolts are tightened down snug and are only down as far as they should be.

She goes in first thing Monday morning for a wheel alignment.

Comment

The boots on the outside tie rod ends are a bit squished. Is that normal? The bolts are tightened down snug and are only down as far as they should be.
                                this is normal mang.......make sure to grease the shit out of everything

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                                X