Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (No. 9 built)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a thought, if it was originally a US car, then got imported into Canada and obviously driven, is the speedo original?
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Sedan (No. 9 built)

Folks. There has been much attention over my '88 Merc and I'm most thankful for all the discussion, VIN report, etc. I bought the car with just over 13,000 original miles on it. I have also investigated a few web sites about VINs just in the past few days, and it appears that it may very well be earlier than no. 9 as indicated in these threads. Stay tuned.

Comment

Speedo/dash is all original U.S. This car did not have any LS badging from the factory, although it is a documented, true LS factory car.
        Last edited by srepergel; 10-15-2010, 08:02 PM.

Comment

DSO = 84 This means this car was built from the factory and sent directly to Home Office Reserve.
          Last edited by srepergel; 10-15-2010, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Yeah I'm finding this really fascinating. Seriously. If I had the cash to spend on another project car I would buy it in a heartbeat and restore it. But I need a new DD.
            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Didn't get much info from Ford's public affairs department in the U.S. All I got was basically this:

please note that once vehicle orders are received at the assembly plant, the order in which the vehicles will be built is at the plant's discretion. The key goal is to arrange production scheduling so that vehicles with similar features and options are manufactured in one batch. This results in increased manufacturing efficiency and quality, as the number of line re-configurations is kept to a minimum. Therefore, there is no method for verifying your vehicle's production sequence number."

I might try Ford's Canadian head office since the car was originally built in Canada for the U.S. Either way she'll be back in storage in less than 2 weeks until next year. Thanks for everyones interest. Kind regards, Steve.
              Last edited by srepergel; 10-21-2010, 09:58 PM.

Comment

IIRC if it was built in Canada (like mine was) it would have a black/gray maple leaf sticker on the drivers door jam above the vin sticker.

Comment

It has the Canadian maple leaf sticker above the data plate on the door. The data plate at the top also shows Ford Motor Company of Canada Limited.

Comment

Car was built in St Thomas for us export and was produced very early. July!!! I had an 87 marquis bulit in july.

I am interested to learn about the mercs starting with 6 in the last 6 of the VIN. I have 2 1981 mercs both buil in Aug 1981 at the st. Louis plant MO. Not sure which is which off hand between my wagon and sedan. One starts 600XXX and the other is 559XXX. I am surious what the deal with them are now

Comment

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Sedan (No. 9 ordered)

The number 6 as the beginning of the remaining six digits of the VIN represents units produced. In 1988, Mercury began order production at 600001, 600002, and so on.

Comment

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ242145633

:bump:
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Sedan (9th ordered)

Thanks for the hyperlink. Car is in storage but accessible for viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by srepergel View Post
                            The number 6 as the beginning of the remaining six digits of the VIN represents units produced. In 1988, Mercury began order production at 600001, 600002, and so on.
                            so the last six digits on my 88's (6/88 build date) VIN start with a 7 rather than a six. what gives?
                            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                            1994 MGM GS Montigua
                            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

over 100,000 units produced for merc that year?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Car has now been reduced to $1,000

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehic...AdIdZ243640860

Comment

Working...
                                X