2.5" exhaust install - '88 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.5" exhaust install - '88 GM

Either my current exhaust is getting louder, or I'm getting older and more easily irritated. Currently running ... 2.5" cat-less H-pipe, downsized to 2.25" pipe, downsized to 2" glass packs, then stock 2" tails. I literally don't like to drive the car anymore due to the volume and sharpness of the exhaust.

What I plan to install tomorrow (if nothing else should go wrong) ...

2.5" cat-less H-pipe
    2.5" 'Stang mid-pipes
    2.5" Dynomax Turbo mufflers, double off-set
    2.5" Impala tail pipes
    2.5" turn downs
    2.5" pipe to fill in the gaps

Flared the necessary pipes today. Just need to cut a few pieces down to size.

A couple pics to compare a stock 2" tail pipe to the 2.5" Impala tail, extension, and turn down.
    Last edited by monterey1962; 10-09-2010, 10:51 PM.

yeah about glass packs... they get louder as they age. however i think you will be plensently surprized with turbo mufflers, it will give the car a diff sound, but better sounding in my opinion, mine is actually fairly quite while cruising, but it will talk when i want it too.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
      Either my current exhaust is getting louder, or I'm getting older and more easily irritated.
      You're getting older and more easily irritated.

I don't know if you're going to be happy with the Dynomax mufflers. They drone a bit.

Comment

i have super turbos on my towny.......not too quiet, not too loud, no drone that i notice

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          i have super turbos on my towny.......not too quiet, not too loud, no drone that i notice
          Well, the last set I installed was on a 400ci Pontiac Bonneville....

Comment

no drone if you have full exhuast....
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I am running a 2 1/2" cat back made for the impala SS. I took some mod to have it fit but sound great.

Tim
              2000 Ford Crown Victoria
              84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
              85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
              89 Lincoln town car: RIP
              89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
              1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
              2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                You're getting older and more easily irritated
                I am. All I need is a cane, a porch, and a rocking chair.

I'm running a Turbo muffler on my F-150 (351). Stock-style single exhaust with only one converter. Sounds really good.

Even if I don't like the sound, I should be able to swap in different mufflers easily. I'm going to use band clamps where possible.

Comment

Here's what my truck sounds like with the above mentioned setup.
                  Last edited by monterey1962; 10-10-2010, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
                    I am. All I need is a cane, a porch, and a rocking chair.

I'm running a Turbo muffler on my F-150 (351). Stock-style single exhaust with only one converter. Sounds really good.

Even if I don't like the sound, I should be able to swap in different mufflers easily. I'm going to use band clamps where possible.
                    You forget that I'm older than you, and are more easily annoyed, lol. I forgot that those mufflers are going on something mild in build, and not behind a pissed-off 400ci Pontiac....

I've ran quite a few sets of these mufflers, most of them droned a bit....but I'm a picky bastard. My drone and your drone may be quite different...

Comment

Man, am I going to be sore in the morning.

Old system came out really easy. Now, do I sell the old system or keep it for a possible future car ... hmm. Only exhaust leak I notice is where the h-pipe meets the header on the driver's side. Will tweak it later in the week.

Old system

New system

Comment

i like your setup, if i may ask how much was it all?
                        2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
                        2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
                        1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

Originally posted by Andypot1985 View Post
                          i like your setup, if i may ask how much was it all?
                          Around $440 for all of the parts. Keep in mind, I've been slowly gathering this system over the last two years, so I don't think it was too big of a cost. Most of the parts came from Summit, too. It got a little higher in price since I used 7 band clamps on this system. I don't like u-clamps. I set this system up so I can swap to different mufflers with little effort.

The labor cost I saved by doing it myself was more than enough to make up for any parts cost.

Comment

Did it go back in as perfectly as it looks?? Ive never seen adapter pieces that fit that nice!!
                            I tried to use some of those to do the 85 with, but it wasn't working out so well...
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                              Did it go back in as perfectly as it looks?? Ive never seen adapter pieces that fit that nice!!
                              I tried to use some of those to do the 85 with, but it wasn't working out so well...
                              A bench vise, pipe expander, and impact wrench are you friends. It tucked up under the car a lot nicer than I was expecting.

The sections between the tail pipes and turn downs were 24" lengths, cut and flared by a local muffler shop. I ended up cutting 4.5" inches off of each one so that the turn downs would fit behind the bumper. I could have easily left them lower and run big chrome tips, but I like the hidden exhaust look.

The sections between the 'stang mid-pipes and mufflers were just pipe left over from my truck's exhaust. I had a 5 foot section which I flared the ends on. Then, I just cut out what I needed. I think it was 12" for the passenger side, and 9.5" for the driver's side.

I am very pleased. My first full exhaust system installation.

Comment

Working...
                              X