No announcement yet.

2.5" exhaust install - '88 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hush Thrush Super Turbos are a good sounding muffler as well. 14" case, packing in the center like the Super Turbo, but no flow directors. They seem to have a slightly deeper tone and they don't drone like the ones with flow directors.
    1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
    1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
    1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
    1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
      no drone if you have full exhuast....
      Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I think I am going to order up four lap jointed 2-1/2 band clamps and a set tails. Much safer doing this myself than having it at a shop. Yours looks good so I know I wont be disappointed. Plus I have a $20 coupon to help ease the sting.

You also said that they could have easily been hung lower for big honking tips...tis' good cause I have some big honking tips to install.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
          well, seriously everyone i know who has a full exhuast is waaay quiter and if there is any drone its not really enough to even notice, my car the other hand, probably one of the loudest cars at this years SF my exhuast ends at the back of my seat at 25-30 mph its pretty bad, was 10 times worse before i extended the exhuast another 2 feet or so
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

my 93 vic drones a little at cruise... but the stereo makes up for that... sounds like a mustang in heat when you get on it though

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
              well, seriously everyone i know who has a full exhuast is waaay quiter and if there is any drone its not really enough to even notice, my car the other hand, probably one of the loudest cars at this years SF my exhuast ends at the back of my seat at 25-30 mph its pretty bad, was 10 times worse before i extended the exhuast another 2 feet or so
              Seriously, I think some people must be deaf, at least at exhaust-resonance frequencies. Any experiment I've done with full-length 2.5" exhaust (other than when I had 2.25" glasspacks out back on the wagon) has resulted in splitting headaches, rattling trimpieces, and complaining passengers, regardless of how quiet the actual exhaust note was. I have no intention of trying full 2.5" exhaust again unless it incorporates some sort of anti-resonance feature.

Comment

Seriously, I think some people must be deaf, at least at exhaust-resonance frequencies. Any experiment I've done with full-length 2.5" exhaust (other than when I had 2.25" glasspacks out back on the wagon) has resulted in splitting headaches, rattling trimpieces, and complaining passengers, regardless of how quiet the actual exhaust note was. I have no intention of trying full 2.5" exhaust again unless it incorporates some sort of anti-resonance feature.
                what where you using for mufflers? if am correct both scott and thain have 2.5 exhuast on thiers, and i know scotts car is relativly quite until he steps on it, although i must admit i am actually half deaf so i dont hear things the same way other people do.
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

It doesn't matter what I use for mufflers. I tried Flowmasters and Super Turbos, and also my generic turbo-style economy mufflers that are extremely bearable with 2.25" tailpipes. The exhaust note itself of course varies, but the resonance is about the same with any of them. I thought the better-fitting Impala tailpipes might resonate less than the Mustang tailpipes I'd previously experimented with, but it was about the same - i.e. completely intolerable. Extra pipe hangers didn't help, either, nor did adding the factory anti-resonance weights up front. Adding glasspacks out back on the wagon did help, so any future 2.5" experiments will involve some sort of resonator or resonance tube.

Comment

It doesn't matter what I use for mufflers. I tried Flowmasters and Super Turbos, and also my generic turbo-style economy mufflers that are extremely bearable with 2.25" tailpipes. The exhaust note itself of course varies, but the resonance is about the same with any of them. I thought the better-fitting Impala tailpipes might resonate less than the Mustang tailpipes I'd previously experimented with, but it was about the same - i.e. completely intolerable. Extra pipe hangers didn't help, either, nor did adding the factory anti-resonance weights up front. Adding glasspacks out back on the wagon did help, so any future 2.5" experiments will involve some sort of resonator or resonance tube.

+1

I tried that on Putter Project and it did quiet down that 292 I6. It still rumbles quite a bit @ idle, but is tolerable. Sounds like a race car idling if you lay underneath the truck while it's running. I'm definitely going to do that to the CV if I ever get around to building something wilder than the lopo that's in there.

Packman

Comment

Then you've never tried magnaflows.
                      They are pricey, but you do get what you pay for.
                      Nice low rumble...... till you stomp on it.
                      They don't drone, and on a panther, you actually need the windows down to hear them good (unless, as mentioned above, you stomp on it).
                      Former panther owner
                      1981 CV 351 4bbl
                      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

+1 on the Magnaflows. I bought them online and brought them into the exhaust shop to have 'em installed, the cat that did it for me said he was disappointed that it wasn't really really aggressive but I like being able to drive around at 4 A.M without bothering people sleeping.
                        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
                          Then you've never tried magnaflows.
                          They are pricey, but you do get what you pay for.
                          Nice low rumble...... till you stomp on it.
                          They don't drone, and on a panther, you actually need the windows down to hear them good (unless, as mentioned above, you stomp on it).
                          Right.

Comment

can't hear the magnaflows on my 88 for squat... even with the windows down and at WOT. Lopo FTL.

stand behind it though and you'll hear something.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

my car has Thrush Welded Mufflers and since i just finished welding the exhaust and hanging it up(Was hanging way to low and rattling). I tested it out today and man does it have a little drone when driving it not too loud but when i romp it the exhaust sounds like a 65 GT350R Racing and sounds real good you could actually feel how much power you have gained with how much more air that isn't restricted flowing through the system.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                              -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                              1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Working...
                              X