what 6x9s do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what 6x9s do you like?

The free Kenwood 6x9s I got were evidently on their last legs. Left one is fucked. Farts like crazy.

Listening to speakers in stores is useless unless the store happens to have a 1990 Crown Vic that they test them in...not everything is going to sound good in our cars so I'm wondering what you guys have had success with?

I'm not running a subwoofer or aftermarket amp of any kind with a Sony xplod cd player
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

my 88 has 6.5 pioneers in the doors and 6x9 pioneers in the rear deck using the stock rubber bands. magnet was only about half and inch larger in diameter. little persuasion and it went over. Then I have a pair of pioneer 10s in scoshe boxes that I removed the stock rubber seals and used carpenters glue to seal up. driving those with a pioneer 760W stereo amp. sounds really good inside the car. rattles the crap outta the lower mouldings on the trunk along with the gas door and rear license plate bracket. I put some of that inch thick foam weather strip under the rear deck carpet where the pegs from the stock grills are to shut up the rattling there and make it quiet in the car.

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492 headunit driving the 4 stock holes (stock wiring too) with sub out to the amp.

except for the head unit... everything else was what was at Wal-Mart at the time.

exact same setup in the crown vic too except 6x8 in the front doors and no subs. those pioneer 6x9s sound pretty good and are not 'spensive.
    Last edited by sly; 10-14-2010, 03:12 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm a huge stereo nut and always liked my Rockford Fosgate speaker. Sound great and take lots of punishment.

Comment

pioneer
        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

best ones i have heard so far are the polk audio DB series
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
            best ones i have heard so far are the polk audio DB series

Oh those are nice speakers too

Comment

believe it or not, the stock Lincoln JBL speakers really kick ass.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                believe it or not, the stock Lincoln JBL speakers really kick ass.
                They certainly have a decent amount of bass in them. On my 89 TC I replaced the four fronts (can't remember what with) and left the factory 6x9s from the JBL system.

For its time the JBL in the later boxes wasn't that bad. I wired in a nice head unit and ran the factory amp with no problems. I know some say you have to bypass the amp, but it worked fine.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I've had nice Pioneers, but their cheapest budget line sucks. I'm unlucky enough to have a pair now, can't wait to burn them - with extreme prejudice! :animalmother:

I had a pair of 6 x 9 Infinity Kappas in the 97 Grand Marq, I really liked them, I should've kept them. The Reference 3-1/2" I have in the TC dash sound a bit screechy, but I have the front up louder than the back to cover the bad 6 x 9s so we'll see. The 6" Pioneers in the doors aren't too bad.

Pete
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I have had nothing but bad luck luck with Pioneer speakers. I hate them with a passion. The Wagon originally had Sony xplodes in it, they sounded ok, but not that great. I replaced them (and all the other speakers) with some Infinity Kappas. A million times better.
                    I had some nice Pioneers in my 91, but somehow one of them blew from just a mediocre head unit. Replaced them with some discounted half price JVC's, and not only are they built twice as good, they sound twice as good.
                    Still have the stock everything in the 89, probably replace the 6x9's with the Sony's.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I've had good luck with JVC equipment. I've had one of their stereos in my S10 for 8 years or better and it still works perfectly. I was told by someone just after I got it that I'd be lucky if it lasted a year.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

these are what i had when i had my vic. they sound great and are really loud. they sound good with a stock head unit or with an amp. they can handle loads of power. i ran them with about 300 watts rms going to each speaker. they are kinda hard to find in a store to listen to.
                        http://www.volfenhagaudio.com/speaker/speak_869r.html

its a huge speaker that takes up a LOT of space. the magnet isnt just for looks lol
                        What happened here?

Comment

visoniks arnt too shabby either for 25 bucks i got them at biglots lolz, although i think i may have toasted one of the tweeters by hooking them up to my infinity amp though......
                          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Alpine. Nuff Said
                            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

6x9s are sonically inferior, I prefer using an adapter plate with a 6.5 or a 5.25 component set. then again in my competition systems I rarely used rear speakers at all.

Tim
                              2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                              84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                              85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                              89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                              89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                              1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                              2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Working...
                              X