Timing set recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing set recommendation

On summit and on rockauto I see many many different brands and prices of timing sets. What should I get? Does it matter whether it's a one-piece or two-piece fuel pump eccentric? (Dunno even what that means or if it matters, since I have SEFI.) Are the trick-flow or the ford racing or the billet ones worth the premium for an engine that probably won't ever see any more power than what an explorer cam and GT40 heads will require?

Thanks for your input....
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

you don't even need the fuel eccentric so it won't matter there. I have a Cloyes double roller in mine that cost me like 30 bcks. No complaints. Even after it fell off and got the locating pin hole slightly damaged, it fit better than a NOS Explorer piece and whatever single row thing the auto parts store handed me. The only advantage to some of the fancier sets is you can mess with the cam timing if you're so inclined.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Currently running an almost bone stock lopo. Would there be any advantage to advancing the cam? Power, mileage....anything?

Thanks for your timely response.
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

Yeah I was wondering about this topic too. Do these 302's have retarded timing gears factory like 351m 400 460 from the 70's? Would the computer be able to compensate for advancing the cam? Thanks guys

Comment

if you're not changing the cam, I dont know what you might get out of messing with the cam timing. If you retard it a couple degrees, it should theoretically extend the power band through higher rpm with the cost of a bit of low end power, but given how much bias the stock cam has towards low end torque you may not notice it. Then again I don't know if you'd notice any improvement up top either. truthfully I'd probably just stick it back to stock settings and call it a day.

and no, these don't have the bs timing sets like the late 70s stuff with built in cam retard.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Comp makes an "Ultimate Adjustable" timing set that seems to be very well-regarded among folks who are serious about their valvetrains. Short of that, there are keyway-adjustable designs, though I'm not sure whether there are cheaper slot-adjustable designs. ($200 seems pricey for a stock engine when compared to $15-$30 for replacement sets)

But I think most engine assemblers are happy to just line up the dots on a stock timing set and call it good - and at that point, isn't the main concern that it doesn't self-destruct? I suppose a person could get particular about whether a timing set is "accurate", but considering the number of other variables, such as accuracy of the cam itself and accuracy of the crank keyway, I don't know how much difference the timing set's accuracy does or doesn't make.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Fair enough. I don't think I'll bother playing with cam timing then. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
              X