Throttle body question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle body question??

I have a question......... can I put this throttle body on my car???

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=2091

Specs:
    1992 Grand Marquis LS
    4.6L V8
    dual stock exhaust
    R.I.P Linsey Nelson

'04 M75-"Chocolate Rain" - mid 13 beast
    Originally posted by MeanVic84
    Chocolate Rain. Some stay dry and others feel the pain.

Yes, but it would be a waste of $.

I have an opportunity to pick one up for $50 but I am hearing mixed results.

I got this response from JohnE on CVN:

I personally experienced negative gains from the FRPP 70mm TB as compared to the stock 65mm. This was in na form. And I believe the reason is that you get substantially more air for the same part opening with the larger unit. The TPS signal actually represents a different airflow for the equivalent position. With the tuning software, I'm sure I could correct this on my car. But w/o tuning software, you might not want to try it. This only goes for part throttle, no changes are needed for WOT.

If you would like to know what it's like, disconnect your TPS. The car drives (in part throttle) about half as sluggish with the 70mm apposed to no TPS.

I do feel that no losses in power can be seen with the proper calibration in the computer. And gains are possible, just not large.
    The 2003 Marauder 300A F.I.T #003
    The 1998 P71 Jinbei. SOLD!
    The 2001 P71 (Flying Snow).

Comment

Thanks embassy, I guess ill stick w/ the stock tb and just buy a hi-performance filter instead.
      R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

No, problem. Glad to pass along the info.

BTW: Do not waste your money on a K&N. You'll gan little to nothing and run the risk of clogging your MAF with filter oil.

Comment

Ok then, what about those fram air hog filters???
          R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

As long as they do not use an oil like K&N, then you should be ok. Realistically, you are not going to see any performance gains by swapping air filters.

I'd save the cash for other things such as higher gears, a traction-lock, or ported heads.

Comment

Yeah but how much do those parts run cause im only 17 and on a very limited budget.
              R.I.P Linsey Nelson

Comment

I have used K&N quite often with sucess. I saw a 20hp gain on my old Velle, and 10hp on my 2.3 Ranger. They do work, it's the recharging that can get to be a pain!

That TB will increase your power, but only if you swap to the Cobra intake. They were designed for it. You also have to recalbrate yor fuel map for it. Plus the gains are only in the upper RPM band. Not good for a street only vehicle. This is according to a performamce shop here intown hat specializes in Blue Oval perormance. I had a friend with a 4.6 Stang and this is what we were told about them.

just my .02
                2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

From CVN:

Now, with our cars (non-MM), the air box is the cork, unless you remove the cork, the best flowing air filter in the WORLD (heck, even NO air filter) will not add even 1 hp. How? The stock filter flows more air dirty than the engine can injest anyway (in CFM at a given pressure drop). The fact is, you cannot ad Hp by mearly changing your air filter on these cars. I'm not saying that on NO CAR can it add power. I was VERY specific about referring to panthers with PANEL air filters. You will add power if you change to a conical, but then even a lowly inexpensive paper filter will give an improvement.
                  http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/s...t=2#Post751309

You are going to see little if any gains by installing a K&N panel in the stock airbox. Your wallet will just be a little lighter.

Comment

Living on a gravel road I'm keepin my K&N for good measure. I'll clean my MAF if I really need to.
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                    X