No announcement yet.

Comp XE258 cam fits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To bad youre in canadia lol you would be good in the box shootout. I still wanna do the box shootout next year guys btw.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

well I got it running here at midnight, i'm tired as piss so i'll try to get pics and vids up within the next few days. It runs reallly good and sounds allot bigger than a 302. The 275 BFG's with the posi in the rear don't stand much of a chance no more either I found out with a quick shot of the gas pedal haha. And no coolant system problems thanks to the new crackless heads!!!!

yeh thanks for the comments, and the valve covers are cast aluminum EFI ford racing valve covers from summit, no spacers but it is tight. For the truck application.

That cam should play nice with the computer but so far its a little stumbly down off idle and a tad rich, but thats only 20 min of driving under its belt so we'll see, plus a little tinkering with timing and that.
      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

from what i understand it is a SD cam from what info i have been able to glean from the net, may need to play with timing though, i would definatley have degreed the cam myself, but from what i understand that thing is gonna pull like a freight train and just keep on going. cant wait to see the vids!
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
          P-U-R-D-Y purdy. I don't know a whole lot about your particular cam. Does it play nice with a stock computer or are you going to have to tune it?
          not lopo puter,but a stang or markvii puter maf dont hurt none either

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
            not lopo puter,but a stang or markvii puter maf dont hurt none either
            iight cool
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
              yeh thanks for the comments, and the valve covers are cast aluminum EFI ford racing valve covers from summit, no spacers but it is tight. For the truck application.
              Sorry to Jack your thread, but what roller rockers are you running on this engine? Oh and it's great to hear that you don't have any cooling system issues!

Comment

What is meant by, "I think it is a SD cam"? I'm all but positive that whether you use a speed-density injection system has less than nothing to do with the camshaft. Unless the idea is that the user is going to stab this cam into a speed-density car and attempt to run it without doing any tuning first ..... which sounds to me like a really bad idea .......
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Some cams are considered speed-density friendly and others are not. It has to do with the LSA and the amount of vacuum they produce. Cams with a lot of overlap tend to produce lower manifold vacuum, and SD isn't very happy with that. You can tune it to some extent, but if the vacuum signal isn't strong and steady, there reaches a point where its just not gonna idle worth a damn no matter how much tuning you do.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Some cams are considered speed-density friendly and others are not. It has to do with the LSA and the amount of vacuum they produce. Cams with a lot of overlap tend to produce lower manifold vacuum, and SD isn't very happy with that. You can tune it to some extent, but if the vacuum signal isn't strong and steady, there reaches a point where its just not gonna idle worth a damn no matter how much tuning you do.
                    Bolt on vacuum pump. :p
                    One of those cams would work in a mass air set up though right?

Comment

nice work! would love to see the car in person

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

The cams have either a 114 or a 112* lobe seperation. The 114 works pretty well with SD ECU's. Mine didn't run too bad at all when I was running untuned SD- and I am running the XE264..
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                          What is meant by, "I think it is a SD cam"? I'm all but positive that whether you use a speed-density injection system has less than nothing to do with the camshaft. Unless the idea is that the user is going to stab this cam into a speed-density car and attempt to run it without doing any tuning first ..... which sounds to me like a really bad idea .......
                          this cam is SD freindly its just a HO on steroids really. as gadget was saying the cam needs to produce enough vacumn for it to run. the XE258 will work fine with SD, now if you say had aa really lumpy cam , then it wouldnt produce vacumn properly for SD to work, you would have to use MAF. gimme just min or two gotta dig up cam info here. Sd has to pul X amount of vacumn in order to function properly.
                          Last edited by zoomie; 11-15-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Looks good. I wanna hear this thing.
                            1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                            1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                            1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                            1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

I keep hearing that it supposed to pull like a freight train with the specs on it but no-one really that I could find that actually had one in their car... and I can definently say now that yes, this sucker indeed pulls like a freight train! haha. Bumped up the timing to 16* which it likes with 91 octane. Still is stumbly and shakey under 1500RPM but smooth and loads of power over that so i'll have to do a little work thier. Heres what she looks like done, accept the heater hose is hidden now same with the other vac line... and I'll get some pics and vids of me driving it and the idle up here wednesday. Promise.

G][/IMG]
                              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

excellent build!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                                X