No announcement yet.

Comp XE258 cam fits...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since this thread has been somewhat of a cam discussion thread...

What about the cams that Trick Flow offers? I believe there are only 3 OTS grinds that Summit has, but has anyone used one, or does anyone have thoughts on them?
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I heard their good high-revers...thier well liked for foxbodys, but they would be a little soft down low on out big boats me thinkin.
      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

ok, so, the biggest concern with the xe258 was the amount lift, correct? That would mean that with those heads, any cam that has less lift than that would also work (TFS, etc), right? If so that means a TFS top end kit should bolt right on to a lopo motor (with the right computer)
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

the max lift has absolutely nothing to do with PTV clearance. It's the duration that the valves are open .050". PTV contact occurs when the valve is just opening or closing. With this cam and its .533/.544 lift, I have more available PTV clearance than the stock HO cam and 1.7's which was .475" I believe with that combo. It's just .533 and .544 is a ton of lift, but its shortish duration of time the valves are open allows it to work.
          Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
          HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

It does have to do with the lift and duration and blah blah blah lol. The only way to know for sure with a combo is to measure. You can really say a cam with x amount of lift and x amount of duration with always fit a given combo, there are just way to many variables. All after market combos should be measured.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

always measure. General rule is that its the duration that screws you, but never ever assume something is gonna fit.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

me likey , i want one now, oh wait been wantign one, *sigh* one of these days
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  Since this thread has been somewhat of a cam discussion thread...

What about the cams that Trick Flow offers? I believe there are only 3 OTS grinds that Summit has, but has anyone used one, or does anyone have thoughts on them?
                  The stage I is a bit dead on the low end. I'd prefer the XE258HR over that cam, and likewise with the XE264HR over the stage II....

The stage I has a nice idle, and in the one car I drove with this cam in it....there's not much there down below 2500 rpm or so. The Stage II cam replaced the stage I cam in the same car....and while it picked up some power up top....all it seems like that it did was simply move power and torque peaks about a 1000rpm up higher in the powerband.
                  Last edited by ; 11-26-2010, 09:13 PM.

Comment

been doing some research, came across the XE266hr looks promising.....
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                      The stage I is a bit dead on the low end. I'd prefer the XE258HR over that cam, and likewise with the XE264HR over the stage II....

The stage I has a nice idle, and in the one car I drove with this cam in it....there's not much there down below 2500 rpm or so. The Stage II cam replaced the stage I cam in the same car....and while it picked up some power up top....all it seems like that it did was simply move power and torque peaks about a 1000rpm up higher in the powerband.
                      Interesting. Aside from my car, I've never driven another HO car. And I don't have the best feel for my own due to tuning issues. But with a 3000 stall or so, I'd imagine I could combat some of the lame low end.

Any thoughts regarding Anderson Ford Motorsports cams? Specifically the N41 (or N21 for 1.7 RRs)?
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

all the HO cars are kind of dead under 2500 rpm or so. Its just the nature of the cam. It would be easily fixed with a higher stall converter though. Stock is like 1300 rpm or something ridiculous.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                          Interesting. Aside from my car, I've never driven another HO car. And I don't have the best feel for my own due to tuning issues. But with a 3000 stall or so, I'd imagine I could combat some of the lame low end.

Any thoughts regarding Anderson Ford Motorsports cams? Specifically the N41 (or N21 for 1.7 RRs)?
                          I have absolutely no experience with Anderson products. I've heard nothing but good reviews....but I've not had a chance to drive anything with their cams installed.

Concerning the cam....if you can get something from Anderson, I'd try it, but otherwise, I think the TFS cams are approaching the Ford 'Letter' cams so far as how old they are....I'd contact Anderson or Comp directly, and get some feedback from them.

I'm curious how the XE274HR from Comp would work in this car, considering you're already contemplating a much-looser convertor....

Another note?

You might try Dirty Dog for a convertor.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            all the HO cars are kind of dead under 2500 rpm or so. Its just the nature of the cam. It would be easily fixed with a higher stall converter though. Stock is like 1300 rpm or something ridiculous.
                            Stock convertor stalls @1800...some of the earlier converters will stall a little higher behind an HO because they were a little looser to accomodate the lower performance engines at the time.

I've seen AOD guys in the mustang world do great with a bolt-on car with 3.73-4.10's and a 3000rpm convertor(on the stock H/C/I). I'm tempted to toss a 2000-2400 stall converter in my car with the 351W, but I wonder where the stocker will stall with an extra 200lb-ft or torque going through it.

+1 on the stock HO cam being very lack luster below 2500...it's not TOO noticeable in a stick car, but is extremely pronounced in an AOD. My first T-bird was an HO/AOD/3.73 car...and it was either grandma-esque acceleration or "hold on to you ass" acceleration...not much of a choice in between.
                            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Very nicely done 91merc!!! Enjoy that beast mang!!!

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                The 89 certainly has more low end power than a stock lopo (well at least my 91). But it has just the right combination of parts.

The wagon on the other hand, is dead as a rock under 3000. Saying it's a light switch would be an understatement. But I think some of that has to do with it not being very SD friendly.
                                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                                X