No announcement yet.

ABS in a Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, when you install this you are going to have the traction assist as well? Does it use the same sensors as ABS?
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

You should paint that toolbox for your dad. Rustoleum gloss white brush paint would do nicely.

ABS and traction assist is basically the same system, but the traction control will engage without the pedal applied and it only messes with the rear brakes. Same sensors and all that. It just sees one wheel spinning faster than the other, and applies some brake pressure to the faster side. It does require a 4 channel abs system and a different brain but the hardware and electrics are the same.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
        Thats a fairly substantial harness.

I don't think my truck (which is an '04) has ABS at all (front or rear). I can easily lock the brakes up in the snow. I've never locked up the brakes on the asphalt in that thing. I think you'd go through the windshield first.

My red car and my blue car were easy to lock the brakes up on, even on the dry asphalt.
        I removed the bulk of the harness when I took it out of the loom, most of that was the main body harness from the car.
        Pics of a sorta test fit and the carnage.
        In the pic where I point to the connectors, those are for the ABS pump/hydraulic control unit. I will need to extend the wiring so it will reach where it has to go.

For those of you who don't know, the HCU/Pump is bolted to the frame, right above the steering box. The inner fender goes around that, in the later years, (aeros and whales) that is slightly different. I will need to slightly modify the drivers side inner fender to allow the mounting of the HCU. I will most likely cut out part of the panel so it fits properly.

Traction assist is just using a couple of extra valves to apply the rear brakes when it sees slipping from only the rear end only. Such as starting off too fast in wet conditions. Needless to say, I will wire in a toggle switch to turn it off.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          You should paint that toolbox for your dad. Rustoleum gloss white brush paint would do nicely.

ABS and traction assist is basically the same system, but the traction control will engage without the pedal applied and it only messes with the rear brakes. Same sensors and all that. It just sees one wheel spinning faster than the other, and applies some brake pressure to the faster side. It does require a 4 channel abs system and a different brain but the hardware and electrics are the same.
          That shouldn't matter, since I pulled everything from the same car... And in response to the toolbox. The truck needs to run first. Lol. That truck hasn't moved since last year...

Comment

Yay for primitive traction control! Is this the type that's useless if you have Trak-Lok?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Yay for primitive traction control! Is this the type that's useless if you have Trak-Lok?
              The way I figure it, yes. But I don't know for certain. I would figure that the traction control would fight the trak lok. If that's the case, it's easy enough to add a toggle switch, or leave it disconnected altogether...

Comment

True enough. I was just remembering TOTCG's references to going through a lot of right rear brakes.

Comment

I think as long as you're not a total hooligan the trac-lock doesn't cause enough slippage to trigger the trac-control/abs.

Most (all?) ford pickups and SUVs come with traction control now, and many are also equipped with trac-lock, on close cousins of our 8.8 axles.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

LOL ... with more than 150hp, you don't always have to act like a hooligan to lose traction.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      LOL ... with more than 150hp, you don't always have to act like a hooligan to lose traction.
                      heck... all you really need is a throttle that sticks a little at idle. I chirp the tires in the Mark quite often due to this.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                        I think as long as you're not a total hooligan the trac-lock doesn't cause enough slippage to trigger the trac-control/abs.

Most (all?) ford pickups and SUVs come with traction control now, and many are also equipped with trac-lock, on close cousins of our 8.8 axles.
                        Yes, and this is a different system completely. All of that shit is inegrated through the PCM, and each individual system interacts and works with each other. Wheel sensor sees slippage, the throttle is reduced, brakes are applied. If the car is skidding, sensors similar to what airplanes use for stability, yaw rate i think they're called tell which brakes to apply. In comparison to the early set ups, this is primative.

And also, note that wheels will slip before the trak lok grabs the other wheel. That's why it's called a limited slip, not a locker.

Regardless, I'll see how the two play together. I will have a toggle switch wired in for Traction control if they don't get along with each other...
                        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 05-26-2011, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Here's an update, no pics yet. I got around to extending the wires that needed extending. I also rewrapped the harness in conduit and electrical tape. Looks stock. 2nd mock fit tomorrow. If I like it, I'll install the harness so I can have the fusebox.

Comment

HHMMMMMMMM, why do I have an 89 Grand Marquis???? Oh yes!!! No fucking abs to needlessly send me through intersections i need to stop at!!!!!!! ABS has gotten me into more trouble than I can count. And if I want air bags, I'll just take the wife, and daughter with me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by PICKUP6772 View Post
                              HHMMMMMMMM, why do I have an 89 Grand Marquis???? Oh yes!!! No fucking abs to needlessly send me through intersections i need to stop at!!!!!!! ABS has gotten me into more trouble than I can count. And if I want air bags, I'll just take the wife, and daughter with me!!!!
                              depending on driver ability/driver mood and the vehicle, abs can be a valuable asset. could mean the difference between a totaled panther and an averted situation.
                              1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
                              1994 MGM GS Montigua
                              2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
                              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

if it's single modulated ABS I totally agree with the unable to stop (had that happen with a chebby... bumped a car just cause one wheel locked and the ABS kicked on for all 4 wheels) ... but if the ABS works on each wheel independently... then that would be good stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X