72 mustang coupe build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

72 mustang coupe build thread

yeah i know its not a panther but i sold my vic to fund this car because i love my mustang more and have memories wrapped into it. Basically it started its life as a mundane 302 2 bbl car with an fmx but overtime me and the age and condition of the trans and engine started to work against it. so i decided to go another route and do a 5.0 EFI conversion with a T-5. so basically its putting a whole Explorer block with GT40P heads (dont worry i got mac headers) into my mustang with fox mustang front accessories and serpentine drive and wiring it up with an aftermarket harness. some will ask why a 5.0 and not a cleaveland or 460? well later on i can use the room left in that bay to map out piping for a turbo but thats for later.

some of the specs on the motor are

97 Explorer block with GT40P heads
    bored "20 Over with Forged Pistons
    TFS stage one cam
    1.6 FMS roller rockers
    Explorer GT40 upper and lower intake
    MSD pro billet distributor
    fox mustang front accessories and belt drive.
    CFR alternator and powersteering bracket set.

ive seen a guy on here with a wicked white MGM with his intake painted like mine but he had it first. i just liked it and did mine the same.......

Here is my car, say what you will bout 71-73 mustang but i think they are awesome cars when done up right. honestly anybody can build a 66-70 but it takes some real gaul to do a 72 . So this is the begining of my build thread, ill try to up date with more pics and whatnot as i go.

thanks for reading-

steve

Cool project Steve.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Cool! Keep us updated on how it works out!

Comment

Have to agree with you on the anybody can have a 66-70 Stang, that's why I went with the 67 Cougar XR7. But the parts can get expensive. As the car mags used to say, "Dare to be different"
        sigpic
        Current Rides
        67 Cougar XR7
        97 Mountaineer 5.0
        03 Ranger XLT

Comment

ok so far i got the bolts i need for the engine the next thing on the list is to order a modern driveline cable conversion kit for the 72, basically it converts my car to the modern fox body like cable instead of the suck ass clunky Z bar crap. this weekend im gonna put a thermostat in it and drop my Msd distributor in it and get it ready to drop in.

Comment

i think the 71-73's are sweet cars.... good luck on your build! good thing about going efi is you'll get better gas milage and upped power all in one...not that your looking for good gas milage if your planning on going with a turbo settup XD

I'm afraid i don't know too much about that generation 'stang but is that white paint or vinyl??
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

its a vinyl top when the motor done and good. im going to shift into bodywork and get that vinyl top removed and the holes welded up I also got a ram air hood for it too.

Comment

I always liked those 71-73 mustangs. Looks like a great build.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

It's gonna be hot.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by roadwarriorP72 View Post
                    yeah i know its not a panther but i sold my vic to fund this car because i love my mustang more and have memories wrapped into it. Basically it started its life as a mundane 302 2 bbl car with an fmx but overtime me and the age and condition of the trans and engine started to work against it. so i decided to go another route and do a 5.0 EFI conversion with a T-5. so basically its putting a whole Explorer block with GT40P heads (dont worry i got mac headers) into my mustang with fox mustang front accessories and serpentine drive and wiring it up with an aftermarket harness. some will ask why a 5.0 and not a cleaveland or 460? well later on i can use the room left in that bay to map out piping for a turbo but thats for later.

some of the specs on the motor are

97 Explorer block with GT40P heads
                    bored "20 Over with Forged Pistons
                    TFS stage one cam
                    1.6 FMS roller rockers
                    Explorer GT40 upper and lower intake
                    MSD pro billet distributor
                    fox mustang front accessories and belt drive.
                    CFR alternator and powersteering bracket set.

ive seen a guy on here with a wicked white MGM with his intake painted like mine but he had it first. i just liked it and did mine the same.......

Here is my car, say what you will bout 71-73 mustang but i think they are awesome cars when done up right. honestly anybody can build a 66-70 but it takes some real gaul to do a 72 . So this is the begining of my build thread, ill try to up date with more pics and whatnot as i go.

thanks for reading-

steve

Not to sound incredibly stupid, but do the MAC headers you chose actually allow the use of P heads in an older Mustang chassis?

Comment

perhaps........

It will be interesting getting them to fit on the driverside but i will figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by roadwarriorP72 View Post
                        It will be interesting getting them to fit on the driverside but i will figure it out.
                        So these units were not designed for the old Mustangs, then?

Comment

I always really really hated those Mustangs...but I think I actually like them after seeing this one. The color is bizarre.
                          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Update

yeah the color is a bit odd, the car has red and black with a white vinyl top. maybe the person who bought thecar new loved xmas or something lol anyway,today i got a t stat and put a new serpentine belt on it and set the tension so its coming along i need a few more parts but its gettin there its gettin a little cold in otherwise sunny California. honestly im really glad ppl are reading this and leaving some kind of feedback, i enjoy reading it. on a personal note, me and my gf of 5 months broke up so im grateful that i have this and work to keep me occupied. as far as the mac headers go if they fit great if not ill make em fit. i would think if it fits in the bay of a fox body my big body mustang should more than work

Comment

I had a low mileage one back in 1974. It was Lime Green, with saddle interior and good A/C. Great little car with those great/weird 70's styling cues. The sail panels in the rear glass is what I really liked back then. Can't believe I sold it in 1976 for a fake ass Roadrunner/Diplomat. What a POS!
                              sigpic
                              2009 GM, 45,000 miles
                              ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

Working...
                              X