Avoiding the AOD shuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoiding the AOD shuffle

Practiced a new shift technique at the track to avoid the AOD shuffle thought i would share (maybe someone else has tried this also). Since I'm running the Nitrous, figured it would put too much strain on my stock AOD to shuffle. During the shuffle 3rd gets engaged for a split second before holding 2nd. Tonight i launched in D and when i felt it shift into 2nd, I then put it in the 1 positon to hold 2nd. RPMs did drop to 2500, but with the nitrous engaged it quickly picks up. Will probably do this from now on to save my trans. from too much abuse.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

shuffle it, break it and get a real trans built.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

This is why I am thinking one of those SilverFox valvebodies will be in my future. If I could, I'd prefer to dump it into drive, put it on the rug and run it out. I think with 5800 rpm WOT shift points that may be a possibility. I believe you can also adjust the shift points on those. I think I read 800 rpm of wiggle room.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yes, that's what I'm hoping when I get mine back together. I would like to be able to put it in D and floor it and see 5500 rpm shifts on every shift.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
        Big plans

Comment

Smokestacklightnin- what shift kit are you running? I have a transgo kit in my car. It says you can shift gears at ANY rpm, so I don't think your technique would work with that right?

Comment

Originally posted by ford man View Post
            Smokestacklightnin- what shift kit are you running? I have a transgo kit in my car. It says you can shift gears at ANY rpm, so I don't think your technique would work with that right?
            I'm using a basic B&M shift improver kit. Replaces some of the stock springs and drill a hole in the separator plate. It firms up the shifts and makes them a little snappier. Besides the torque converter, my trans is all 1984 stock. You probably should just play around with yours and see what works for you. I wished i did have one of the modified valve bodies that makes 1-1st, D-2nd, and OD-3rd and OD.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
            Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
            Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
            NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

I performed the 1-D-1 shuffle for about 3 years on a regular basis in my old AOD 'Bird...it never showed any signs of tiring....Then when I parted that car, I sold the valvebody/shift kit to a guy and I found a ton of BIG parts laying in the trans pan when I tore it down...that trans ran great until I snapped the crank in the super high mileage HO. I've also seen guys with low mileage AOD's drive nice and break parts, so it's always hard to say what the ol' AOD will and won't handle.

Good luck,
              Don
              '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Working...
              X