And so it begins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so it begins.

While washing my 78 LTD the other day, the vinyl top finally disentigrated so I took it the rest of the way off. What a freaking mess. Rust holes everywhere.

I know how to pull the chrome trim off...but I need help with the trim around the windows...

And how in the heck do I pull the back seat out? Im planning on gutting it so I can fix the rust in the back, the passenger floor pan...and several other issues.

Pics would help as I have never seen the back of an LTD that old. But normally you use a windshield trim removal tool...the name sorta indicates its purpose. Here is what they look like:

For the rear seat bottom you normally push the entire seat towards the rear and the bottom pops up. For the seat back you have some torxs to remove. You will see them once the seat bottom is removed.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Heres a pic from when I got the car. I no longer have a camera. This part of trim is actually already off. It kinda fell off one day. More interested in the side windows. Heres another pic from when I first got it...

Ill try the seat Idea in a minute...unless I cant find my torx bit.
      Last edited by Jon; 11-22-2010, 10:42 AM.

Comment

ok...so theres no bolts holding in the rear seats from what I can see...tried pushing backwards on them and nothing happened. The front seat frames sit on studs. To remove I only have to unbolt them.

Is there a trick to the rear seats Im not figuring out?

Comment

figured it out.

got all the screws out of the trim that goes around the rear window...and its not comming down. Looks like some metal tabs holding it in place? Im not real sure though.

Also, is it safe to assume the rear panels just pop off?

Sorry if I sound slow about this interior stuff. All other cars Ive messed with the stuff came out easily.

Comment

Okay the trim around the side windows most likely has thin metal tabs that slide in and between the window and the sticky butal stuff used to seal them. You have to remove the window trim in a circle slowing working up the piece as you go around. Nothing is easy..

What are these rear panels you are talking about....

And like I said most rear seats you have to push the base of the seat into the rear seat back and they pop up. But this is a car I never seen so idk.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The rear panel Im talking about are almost like interior door panels, But they're beside the rear seat on each end.

figure out the seat. Just as you said. Push and pull method.

Ill let my body man take car of the trim... My main goal now is just strip the car enough to where he can work on it with out it being to much of a pita.

Also wondering if the bolt pattern for the wheels is the same as the 80s vics.

Comment

Barge Ford bolt pattern is 5 x 5 IIRC...Panther cars have 5 x 4.5
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Neat that you're making progress! My own progress on junk tends to be nonexistant much of the time.

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  Also wondering if the bolt pattern for the wheels is the same as the 80s vics.
                  Thankfully, that's easy to measure. Just run a tape from the edge of one bolt hole, skip the neighboring hole, and measure to the center of the second one over. That distance is the BCD. Can probably even use the protruding studs to measure with the wheel still on, though I've never tried it that way.
                  2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                    Barge Ford bolt pattern is 5 x 5 IIRC...Panther cars have 5 x 4.5
                    Damnnit...

I guess that means no turbines for me. I will double check next time I see another panther. Thanks for saving me a ton of cash.

Yeah it is neat Im making progress...but its painfully slow progress.

Comment

On the plus side, if your car really is 5x5 (MEASURE IT, DON'T ASSUME), you'd be able to use an assortment of truck wheels and aftermarket wheels that are off-limits to Panther owners. I think there was a turbine-style wheel used on Ford trucks in the '70s sometime, and it was something screwy like 5x5.

Comment

Alright....now we're talking. lol.

Guess your right about using truck wheels. Ill measure next time Im outside. Makes since though...Motor was designed for a truck (351M) tranny is a big block/truck trans (c6) and its got the 9 inch rear.

I have been looking for a trailer hitch, but I think Im going to have to make my own. Uhaul doesnt show one for the 78, but it does for the 79.

Comment

Lots of HD parts found their way onto Mustangs as well.

No barge trailer hitch? Weird. I'd be surprised if a Panther hitch fit ('79) .... did you check online? There are one or two websites where some of the guys here have gotten good deals on their hitches.

Comment

Dang, I was hoping to pick up a set of the 70s Lincoln aluminum dish rims for the 85, dangdangdang.

Pete
                            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

you could use wheels off a lincoln versallies.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
                              X