PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Smog Pump Stuff

Learning The Ways of Box Town Cars MattsLincoln's Avatar

Default Removing Smog Pump Stuff

hey guys i want to remove my smog pump and all it's unnecessary bullshit. Can you guys tell me how to get rid of it.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)-Mods: CFI To SEFI Swap COMPLETE, E7 Heads. More to come!!!! Up And Running.

Do it, that's all you really need to know. Unless you have smog nazis being particularly silly about it.

Well, that, and that the holes in the back of the heads can be plugged with 5/8-11 bolts. I use a piece of radiator hose with a closed-end lugnut and a couple of screw clamps to cap off the air-injection nipples on my aftermarket crossover pipes.

And most guys use a 56" alternator belt once the pump is removed.

Yeah, I think that's about it.

Until a lot of years down the road when you get a F150 smog pump to build a crankcase evac system.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

there is this air pump thing that all these hoses connect to. Mostly they connect to the smog pump can that all be removed and plug up the vacuum line to it.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)-Mods: CFI To SEFI Swap COMPLETE, E7 Heads. More to come!!!! Up And Running.

Oh, was that your question?

Yes, remove all of it, remove the tubes on the back of the heads and the tube going down to the exhaust, and plug it all up.

I post a lot...

If it looks useless, remove it.

I shall not pass this way again. Smokestacklightnin's Avatar

Should have two belts, if your ac doesnt work just remove the belt to it. Remove the rubber hoses and mounting bracket. You can leave the the metal lines from the back of the heads and down to the cats. Should be check valves were the rubber hoses connect.

1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon" RIP
    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

RESTORE ... MAINTAIN ... CUSTOMIZE rick99601's Avatar

would the S/P over heat if you just ran the 56" belt for the ac and left everything else the way it is?
    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
    1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

"S/P" = smog pump? How would that overheat? Can't imagine any harm coming of it, but it seems pointless to leave the pump installed if you're not going to use it. Same with the injection plumbing on the back of the heads - get those off of there too. Very silly IMO to remove only part of a system that, for you anyway, is useless.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Why didn't you just keep it off when you pulled the engine? Lol. You didn't need that to run the engine. Or to keep the AC hooked up.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar (Courtesy of Lincolnmania, Gadget73 and SVT98t), Electric Cooling Fan, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, HPP wheels, Working A/C, more mods to come soon!

I seem to recall people suggesting that he shouldn't reinstall it, but he insisted that he wanted to. Seems I asked why twice, but never got an answer. Oh, well.

i don't know if i can take it off here because emissions testing may want that to be on or fail inspections.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

it wont fail emissions, but it will likely fail the visual anti-tampering test if they actually look close. Find someone who isn't a stickler to do your inspections.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

Best to find that out first, then! It'd be really annoying to get everything off of there only to find out some smog Nazi won't let you register the car unless you put it all back on. One does hear stories about people/locations where they don't care how it sniffs if they say something isn't there that should be.

Personal suggestion: write to local legislators and ask them to eliminate some of your hassles!

"The finder of unobtainium and other magical items" zoomie's Avatar

too bad your not in my neck of the woods i have a buddy who does inspections in PA and wouldnt bother looking at the smog stuff
    89 townie stock, repairs and upgrades on going..........

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

PA isn't officially a "smog-state". It depends on where you live...that's why they use two inspection stickers...one is for safety, the other for emissions, if you live in an area of the state that actually performs emissions testing. Sounds to me like you DO live in a smog test area, check up on local visual inspection laws before gutting the smog pump...or find a real easy going inspector. When I lived in Jersey, they spent the past 10-15yrs cracking down on shops just selling stickers without actually inspecting cars...cracking down hard...a 2-yr sticker cost me $150 just before I left, went up to $250 since they changed the stickers for 2010. It should be significantly easier and cheaper in PA to find a shop that can help you out.

good luck,
    Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

thats why im hesitant to rip it all out. if the car was registered in michigan it would be no problem but illinois has their out testing facilities and they look under the hood.

just to confirm- running a smaller belt to bypass the smog pump will not take any load off the engine?

1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

it will take a small load off the engine. The smog pump does run all the time, but doesn't actually get used all the time (IIRC -just like the power steering pump). It doesn't load down the engine much though so you probably won't notice much improvement in power if any.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 82 Mark VI,
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by slymer View Post
    it will take a small load off the engine. The smog pump does run all the time, but doesn't actually get used all the time (IIRC -just like the power steering pump). It doesn't load down the engine much though so you probably won't notice much improvement in power if any.
    gotcha. you should be getting that any day now, btw.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

yeah... hoping the mail today has it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 82 Mark VI,
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

In most states if your car is a classic, which is usually 25 years old then it doesnt need to be inspected. In NH thats the way it is, so this summer is the last time my 87 should be inspected.
    -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
    -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast