Removing Smog Pump Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Smog Pump Stuff

hey guys i want to remove my smog pump and all it's unnecessary bullshit. Can you guys tell me how to get rid of it.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Do it, that's all you really need to know. Unless you have smog nazis being particularly silly about it.

Well, that, and that the holes in the back of the heads can be plugged with 5/8-11 bolts. I use a piece of radiator hose with a closed-end lugnut and a couple of screw clamps to cap off the air-injection nipples on my aftermarket crossover pipes.

And most guys use a 56" alternator belt once the pump is removed.

Yeah, I think that's about it.

Until a lot of years down the road when you get a F150 smog pump to build a crankcase evac system.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

there is this air pump thing that all these hoses connect to. Mostly they connect to the smog pump can that all be removed and plug up the vacuum line to it.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Oh, was that your question?

Yes, remove all of it, remove the tubes on the back of the heads and the tube going down to the exhaust, and plug it all up.

Comment

If it looks useless, remove it.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Should have two belts, if your ac doesnt work just remove the belt to it. Remove the rubber hoses and mounting bracket. You can leave the the metal lines from the back of the heads and down to the cats. Should be check valves were the rubber hoses connect.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
            Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
            Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
            NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

would the S/P over heat if you just ran the 56" belt for the ac and left everything else the way it is?
              1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
              1994 MGM GS Montigua
              2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

"S/P" = smog pump? How would that overheat? Can't imagine any harm coming of it, but it seems pointless to leave the pump installed if you're not going to use it. Same with the injection plumbing on the back of the heads - get those off of there too. Very silly IMO to remove only part of a system that, for you anyway, is useless.

Comment

Why didn't you just keep it off when you pulled the engine? Lol. You didn't need that to run the engine. Or to keep the AC hooked up.

Comment

I seem to recall people suggesting that he shouldn't reinstall it, but he insisted that he wanted to. Seems I asked why twice, but never got an answer. Oh, well.

Comment

i don't know if i can take it off here because emissions testing may want that to be on or fail inspections.

Comment

it wont fail emissions, but it will likely fail the visual anti-tampering test if they actually look close. Find someone who isn't a stickler to do your inspections.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Best to find that out first, then! It'd be really annoying to get everything off of there only to find out some smog Nazi won't let you register the car unless you put it all back on. One does hear stories about people/locations where they don't care how it sniffs if they say something isn't there that should be.

Personal suggestion: write to local legislators and ask them to eliminate some of your hassles!

Comment

too bad your not in my neck of the woods i have a buddy who does inspections in PA and wouldnt bother looking at the smog stuff
                            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

PA isn't officially a "smog-state". It depends on where you live...that's why they use two inspection stickers...one is for safety, the other for emissions, if you live in an area of the state that actually performs emissions testing. Sounds to me like you DO live in a smog test area, check up on local visual inspection laws before gutting the smog pump...or find a real easy going inspector. When I lived in Jersey, they spent the past 10-15yrs cracking down on shops just selling stickers without actually inspecting cars...cracking down hard...a 2-yr sticker cost me $150 just before I left, went up to $250 since they changed the stickers for 2010. It should be significantly easier and cheaper in PA to find a shop that can help you out.

good luck,
                              Don
                              '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Working...
                              X