No announcement yet.

Removing Smog Pump Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thats why im hesitant to rip it all out. if the car was registered in michigan it would be no problem but illinois has their out testing facilities and they look under the hood.

just to confirm- running a smaller belt to bypass the smog pump will not take any load off the engine?
    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
    1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

it will take a small load off the engine. The smog pump does run all the time, but doesn't actually get used all the time (IIRC -just like the power steering pump). It doesn't load down the engine much though so you probably won't notice much improvement in power if any.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
        it will take a small load off the engine. The smog pump does run all the time, but doesn't actually get used all the time (IIRC -just like the power steering pump). It doesn't load down the engine much though so you probably won't notice much improvement in power if any.
        gotcha. you should be getting that any day now, btw.
        1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
        1994 MGM GS Montigua
        2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

yeah... hoping the mail today has it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

In most states if your car is a classic, which is usually 25 years old then it doesnt need to be inspected. In NH thats the way it is, so this summer is the last time my 87 should be inspected.
            -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
            -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
              thats why im hesitant to rip it all out. if the car was registered in michigan it would be no problem but illinois has their out testing facilities and they look under the hood.

just to confirm- running a smaller belt to bypass the smog pump will not take any load off the engine?
              Funny, I had been under the impression that IL was more easygoing than NW Indiana. Of course, NW Indiana in '96 and '97 was my only experience with smog testing, and my junk was 1000% stock then. One muffler shop there claimed you couldn't even go from a fake 2-muffler system ('90 Calais FWD) to a normal 1-muffler system and stay smog legal.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

some states are real hardons about the exhaust and all emissions being 100% identical to how it left the factory. I think Pete said something about Virginia even checking the numbers on the converters to make sure they are the correct type for the car or some such nonsense.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/info_nr.htm

http://www.ahs2.dep.state.pa.us/aq_a...sions/test.asp

You get a gas cap check and a visual check meaning all emissions equipment that was on that car from the factory should be present and correctly connected.
                  Current stable:
                  1984 Ford LTD Crown Vic
                  1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4
                  1972 Volkswagen Camper Bus
                  2000 Ford Windstar

Comment

damn i knew i couldn't get away with it.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonnie View Post
                      http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/info_nr.htm

http://www.ahs2.dep.state.pa.us/aq_a...sions/test.asp

You get a gas cap check and a visual check meaning all emissions equipment that was on that car from the factory should be present and correctly connected.
                      emissions has to visually be on the vehicle... dont say it has to work
                      also depends on who you know.
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                        emissions has to visually be on the vehicle... dont say it has to work
                        also depends on who you know.
                        I didn't say it had to either but the state tells us how and what we need to look for when we perform an emissions inspection.

I was just simply passing along the info as to where the commonwealth stood on the emissions tampering issue.
                        Current stable:
                        1984 Ford LTD Crown Vic
                        1994 GMC Jimmy 4x4
                        1972 Volkswagen Camper Bus
                        2000 Ford Windstar

Comment

ie: to remove the smog pump and keep everything "looking" right... simply take the vacuum line off of it and plug the line/cap the port on the pump. Use the different belt if you're not opposed to keeping the old belt just for inspections. with my car... I'm going to wait until it's under the "safety inspection only" list and then remove all of that.

Comment

Dang, Texas has emissions inspections too?

OP: Sounds like a good excuse to plan a crankcase evac system!
                            Last edited by 1987cp; 12-01-2010, 01:34 AM.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I too would like to remove the s/p from my 1991 P72. It is a 351 car and the s/g is making a rather annoying noise. Will I run into problems if I leave the cats in place for now or does it all have to go.

Just for the record, no inspections in NW Florida, safety or otherwise.
                              1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

just clamp shut the metal air injection pipes running to the cats
                                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Working...
                                X