No announcement yet.

1998 Suzuki Esteem winter beater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So because I now have a super-exciting job as shopbitch at a CUSTOM SHOP with a talented bodyman and downdraft paintbooth, I had some paintwork done on the Suzuki, for FREE

By my drunken buddies at a house party in pickering

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

im LOLing right now...its a very origonal slogan!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

if you've driven the auto version of that car... "lack of self-Esteem" is nowhere near original. The sticks are fun, but still lack highway grunt. After you're done with second gear... you're pretty much done. 3rd is ok... but 4th and 5th are pretty lacking. My restricted lopo (figured out that the aftermarket air filter I used for the all-enclosed case is more restrictive than the stock air box with stock filter) would beat out an esteem no problem... without unloading it.

Now the Acura "Legend" we had... it would beat a panther any day of the week in a straight line (the steering pump was going out and twisties would sometimes be forced into off-road adventures). When the power steering pump would work... that car would handle epically. All it really needed was a new steering pump, complete AC system replacement, most of the engine gaskets, oil pressure sensor, power antenna, and paint and it would be like new (about $2000 just in parts - most of that is the AC system ~$1400 back in 2006) :p

That was a fun car... and the name (Legend) made for some good jokes too. I miss the sunroof though. I don't miss the 5/70 air conditioning though (4 windows down... sun roof open... going 70mph)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It's weird hearing people talking about fixing their A/C. It's the first thing to go in my cars.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I'm honestly not sure if it works on the car. It's the only option it's got, but I don't bother cause it hasn't been warm enough and the higher idle speed is a real pravneet in traffic.

If it does work, I'll just shake my head at the fact that my winter econobox has AC and my cushy summer car doesn't.

I find it does ok in 5th gear, but cruising speed on the highway here is 75mph, so maybe it's just more in it's powerband here.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

yeah... highway speeds here are 60mph... though 4th at 75 has some pep to it. 5th at 100 has some pep too... though I shouldn't know that

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

mostly rush hour traffic heavy-footed driving on a 35 litre (9.3 gallon) tank took me 450 km (280 miles) for an approx. mileage of 30MPG.

lots of cold starts, idling in traffic, gunning it to shoot for openings, etc. about the only plus to mileage was it was usually above freezing and less than a quarter of the driving was with a passenger.

Comment

1998 Suzuki Esteem winter beater

That's way back more than a decade ago. I wonder why you bought such a model especially for winter. In this case, I think it's a nice idea to buy new and replace the engine since it's the most important one.
                  Last edited by 85crownHPP; 11-19-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

sold for 170 dollars scrap yesterday. The rust that was not even a hole on the rocker panel when I bought it a year ago was a big gaping hole all the way from the rear wheel to in front of the rear door. Crazy fast spreading, even though I oiled inside there as soon as a hole appeared. Still driveable, but it also died on me for a reason I couldn't track down, right before I switched insurance to the Vic. That, combined with it needing tires and rear brakes, just not worth it.

It will probably be replaced with a TDI volkswagen of similar or slightly newer vintage, or another japanese fuel sipper of some sort.

Comment

Good luck with your search for another beater!
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                      X