• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front cig liters dead... like so many other things

hello everyone im new and hoping to get some answers from you panther vets

i have an 1984 towncar pics coming soon

here are my issues for now

1. Cig lighter in the ash tray sparked on me and now cell phone charger and lighter wont charge up!!! do i just need to change thhe fuse if so can anyone direct me to a fuse diagram

2.already saw the long sticky thread aboutt windows not rolling up so ill check it awesome!!!!!

3.front passenger door will not open from the outside!!! back passenger door had the top of the lock pin (what you can pull up or push down to lock the door) broke off last winter when it was - 40. that door wont open at all...

4 power locks i can unlock all the doors except for the back right but it will not lock the (kinda annoying) it makes a noise but nothing happens

These are the main issues i would like to clear up... i dont mind using the lighters in the back for gps and ipod/phone charger but the doors bug me i hate having to tell people to go around and get in and slide over!!!!

hopefully someone can help my big blue lady out!!!!
    other than that ive had this car for4 years and love it to death. i wanna post some pics and video soon

thanks a bunch

Matt
    Check It Out!!!
    Lincoln Towncar 1984
    www.youtube.com/loudtowncar

welcome to the party.
    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
    1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by vitals_fading View Post
      hello everyone im new and hoping to get some answers from you panther vets

i have an 1984 towncar pics coming soon

here are my issues for now

1. Cig lighter in the ash tray sparked on me and now cell phone charger and lighter wont charge up!!! do i just need to change thhe fuse if so can anyone direct me to a fuse diagram

=== probably just popped the fuse in the box under the dash, i did that on accident by dropping a penny in one one day. use a test light to check for fuses the fast way.

2.already saw the long sticky thread aboutt windows not rolling up so ill check it awesome!!!!! usually window motors go poop

3.front passenger door will not open from the outside!!! back passenger door had the top of the lock pin (what you can pull up or push down to lock the door) broke off last winter when it was - 40. that door wont open at all... might have to take the door off and check out the linkage connectors, might have one broken,also get in there and see if you locked the back door by moving the rod

4 power locks i can unlock all the doors except for the back right but it will not lock the (kinda annoying) it makes a noise but nothing happens, hmmm ill leave this for gadget hes the resident electrical guru

These are the main issues i would like to clear up... i dont mind using the lighters in the back for gps and ipod/phone charger but the doors bug me i hate having to tell people to go around and get in and slide over!!!!

hopefully someone can help my big blue lady out!!!!
      other than that ive had this car for4 years and love it to death. i wanna post some pics and video soon

thanks a bunch

Matt

well that about sums it up off the toop of my head welcome to GMN and post pics! i love the taillights on the 80-84 lincs
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Welcome mang.

If the cigar lighter popped it likely toasted the fuse. The fuse panel is located underneath the steering column which means you need to remove that panel. According to my evtm the front cigar circuit is powered through position 16. Position 16 (while looking at the fuse panel) is on the top row all the way to the right. Should be a 20amp fuse.

For your door problems you will have to remove the door panels...which will be a pain for the p.side rear door since it does not open. May have to remove the rear seat to give you access to the push pins that hold the panel on after you unscrew the armrest. (back seat comes out by pushing the front edge of the seat downward and towards the rear of the car).

Your door lock actuator is dying.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Holy double post batmang!!!

The front passengers door sounds like the plastic clip for the exterior door handle broke and it's not connected to the latch anymore.

My rear door lock won't lock either. It's half dead and so is yours. You gotta pull your door panel with the door shut for the door with the broken lock thing. I'd suggest pulling the bottom of the seat out for easier access to the bolts and screws.

Comment

Good catch. Fixing it.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah, sounds like the rear lock motor is dead, or if the lock button is still jammed under the door panel, thats gonna be why it won't unlock. Most likely you're gonna have to remove the door panel to at least fish the lock rod out, but likely replace the lock motor as well.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for all the replies pics coming up now ill post a link check my youtube page as well

Thanks for you comprehensive answers very helpful

Matt
                Check It Out!!!
                Lincoln Towncar 1984

Comment

Referring to your video....
                  I think you need to invest in a 130amp alternator...that along with the big three would help tremendously. Cant really do the big 3 with a 2g alternator...assuming that is what your car has.
                  ~David~

Comment

I have a new alternator!!! but not sure the model got it when i took possesion of the car the engine is really oiled up where is the best place to ground it all??? anyone take pics or a video... i know that would really get my power flowing. Sick of the lights going to the music lol unless im driving
                    Check It Out!!!
                    Lincoln Towncar 1984

Comment

3g alt can be found on later ford products. The original available for your car is a 2g which is prone to fires and weak amperage output. The 3g that will work for you is found in the '95 Mustang with a 5.0, 3.0 Liter Taurus from the mid '90s, and some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Comment

95-98 windstars also have it (oddly enough)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by vitals_fading View Post
                          I have a new alternator!!! but not sure the model got it when i took possesion of the car the engine is really oiled up where is the best place to ground it all??? anyone take pics or a video... i know that would really get my power flowing. Sick of the lights going to the music lol unless im driving
                          Stock ground locations is fine...New stock alternator is just as bad as the alternator you replaced. they don't have a charge terminal but pitiful spade connectors which suck as described above by 86Vicky. Install an alternator from a 95 mustang GT run 4 gauge wire from the charge stud to the bat, or starter solenoid. and make up new thicker cables for the battery to starter solenoid and battery to engine block.

For more info on the 3g conversion...(130 amps compared to 65 or so stock) just use the search function.
                          ~David~

Comment

I think the Windstar alternator is the large frame model though.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nope... it's a small case. I've verified that through 3 different parts houses and a lot of ebay listings. also of added benefit is that the minivan offerings are generally cheaper for the same part than the mustang offerings. Usually by about $10.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X