No announcement yet.

1979 Marquis 7.1 Will It Fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they kept selling barge lincolns with big blocks til 79 i think but i dont think panthers ever ever ever got anything bigger than a 351
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I know I got the years mixed up no 79' that our body style I meant to say 78' sorry

Comment

Unless you plan on throwing mucho bucks at it (especially post '74 V8's), they have good torque but total slugs as far as performance. Lots of weight. Depends on what you want to achieve with the car.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
        Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
        Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
        NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

honestly if you're going to bother with putting a big block in, it may as well be a healthy one. The smog year motors are fine as a core motor but in stock form, they suck. Put some heads, a cam, pistons that will make some compression and a good intake on though and you have a serious powerplant on your hands.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by V8GrandMarquis View Post
            the ad expired but I have his phone number and he never re posted it but he said thats its a 7.1 from a 79' and I know that car has that size engine but I wanted to know if it will fit in my 89
            The setup in the '79 shouldn't be any different than it would be in your '89. No subsitute for cubic inches, be nice to have a torque monster under the hood...

Comment

The 460 swap is by no means a "poor performer". The problem is without big money behind your project, it can't really be done right. I really wouldn't mind gaining 300+ lbs for 400hp/550+tq and a stockish idle. Unless your using a turbo on a windsor, you'll never see that kind of torque form a 302...or even stock displacement 351. For a 2800lb fox mustang, a high winding small motor is great...just doesn't do much when saddled with a 4200lb+ car though. Has anybody ever driven a late model injected 460 truck? I've driven a few and they will surprise you...215-245hp may sound like crap...you can get that with a stock HO...but what you can't get in a little HO is torque in excess of 400lb-ft around 2400rpm. Yeah, I have a hard-on for big cubes...ever since the first time I went from 302 to 351...now I'm drooling after more...lol. I personally won't do one until I can afford a user friendly aftermarket fuel injection system and a built E4OD or 4R100...and that won't be anytime soon...lol.

If a tight budget is what you're facing...don't bother with anything more than a hot 302 or budget 351W build.

Good luck,
              Don
              '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Working...
              X