PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 95 Grand Marquis oil pan rust hole

Default 95 Grand Marquis oil pan rust hole

Well, I picked up a 1995 Grand Marquis a few months ago to drive over the winter. I purchased it knowing it had a small oil leak, but the leak has got worse over the last month or so (much worse it loses about a quart every 175 miles). I know that it is a pretty big job to replace the oil pan on these cars, so that is probably not going to happen any time soon. I can clearly see where the oil pan has the hole in it so I'm going to attempt to wire brush off the rust, hit it with some brake cleaner, and put some sealant over it. Just wondering if anyone has done this and what sealant they have used? The guy at O'reilly's recomended the orange permatex rtv, but I figured I would ask here first.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I've heard of people using JB Weld. I cant imagine RTV would hold up, its basically rubber. You want something hard on there.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

Abolish the act of 1871 Lincolnmania's Avatar

+2 on the jb weld

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    1989 crown vic gt sedan 5.0 HO sold back to richduty455
    1991 lincoln mark VII bill blass (mini me)
    1992 mercury grand marquis, 5.0 HO conversion sold to 86vickylx
    1982 efm and 1986 alaska stokers keeping me warm

That's what I thought too on the RTV. It looks like JB weld it is. Thanks.

From my experience in repairing the un-repairable I've found that JB Weld is good, BUT it's silly putty compared to PC-7. I wouldn't even consider anything else but PC-7, mixed right that stuff hardens like steel only harder I think!!
    I've never, ever fixed anything with PC-7 and had it not work, permanently!
    Once you've tried PC-7, you'll never go back!

RESTORE ... MAINTAIN ... CUSTOMIZE rick99601's Avatar

two words.

mighty. putty.
    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
    1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

GMN Regular

Having a shop replace the oil-pan will take a day's labour to complete. I had it done on my '93 GM last year. Cost me over $700...
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '83 Continental Mark VI
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '92 Crown Victoria Touring Sedan *parts car* It might get scrapped this year...
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloRider View Post
    You'll see our cars again cause we keep our shit running!

fuck no, not today, thank you kindly 1990LTD's Avatar

225 plus pan/gasket for me but it wasn't a garage
    - 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims - Summer toy/work in progress.

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom mobile - 3.0 Duratec - Daily Driver/Beater/Hauler of parts and contraband

HAHA Mighty Putty! It says that it fixes leaks instantly, just apply and let dry. I could probably even clean off the oil pan with some orange glow and a shamwow

Yea I kinda figured it would be big money to have someone do it. I took it to Midas just for the heck of it and they wanted $900. The car is not worth putting that kind of money into it so I'm going to try the JB weld. It can't hurt anything because the pan would still need to be replaced anyway. Even if it doesn't totally stop the leak, Ill just continue to leave a sheet of plywood on the driveway to keep it clean, and just keep dumping oil in it every time I get gas until I find somewhere cheap to get it replaced. $900 can buy an awful lot of oil.

Rub my butt peanut for a better facial seneeb's Avatar

+09823769276 on jb weld, done it a few times myself on vehicles with shittascially difficult oil pans
    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
    95 S10 93 Accord

Default Update

It has been a couple of weeks since I put the JB weld on the oil pan, and I am happy to say that it totally stopped the leak. I used a product by JB weld called JB Stik. I thought that regular JB weld might want to sag and drip off once applied to the oil pan, so I found this JB stik that is like a putty. You kneed it together and flatten it like a pancake and push it on. I wire wheeled the pan, cleaned it with some brake cleaner, pushed the JB Stik on, and let it dry a few hours and the leak is fixed. Thanks for the advice!

I'm ridin on a dolphin, doing flips and shit cld783's Avatar

quick steel at walmart is also good.. i suggest everyone buy a stick and put it in the glovebox.
    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Graham: Your source for car repair and smartassery. 91waggin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LTD86 View Post
    It has been a couple of weeks since I put the JB weld on the oil pan, and I am happy to say that it totally stopped the leak. I used a product by JB weld called JB Stik. I thought that regular JB weld might want to sag and drip off once applied to the oil pan, so I found this JB stik that is like a putty. You kneed it together and flatten it like a pancake and push it on. I wire wheeled the pan, cleaned it with some brake cleaner, pushed the JB Stik on, and let it dry a few hours and the leak is fixed. Thanks for the advice!
    That's truly incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, Mazda 5-spd, 4wd. Stock for now
    99 Subaru Forester (wife's ride). 2.5 NA 5-spd. 95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13