95 Grand Marquis oil pan rust hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 Grand Marquis oil pan rust hole

Well, I picked up a 1995 Grand Marquis a few months ago to drive over the winter. I purchased it knowing it had a small oil leak, but the leak has got worse over the last month or so (much worse it loses about a quart every 175 miles). I know that it is a pretty big job to replace the oil pan on these cars, so that is probably not going to happen any time soon. I can clearly see where the oil pan has the hole in it so I'm going to attempt to wire brush off the rust, hit it with some brake cleaner, and put some sealant over it. Just wondering if anyone has done this and what sealant they have used? The guy at O'reilly's recomended the orange permatex rtv, but I figured I would ask here first.

I've heard of people using JB Weld. I cant imagine RTV would hold up, its basically rubber. You want something hard on there.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+2 on the jb weld

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

That's what I thought too on the RTV. It looks like JB weld it is. Thanks.

Comment

From my experience in repairing the un-repairable I've found that JB Weld is good, BUT it's silly putty compared to PC-7. I wouldn't even consider anything else but PC-7, mixed right that stuff hardens like steel only harder I think!!
          I've never, ever fixed anything with PC-7 and had it not work, permanently!
          Once you've tried PC-7, you'll never go back!

Comment

two words.

mighty. putty.
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Having a shop replace the oil-pan will take a day's labour to complete. I had it done on my '93 GM last year. Cost me over $700...
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

225 plus pan/gasket for me but it wasn't a garage
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

HAHA Mighty Putty! It says that it fixes leaks instantly, just apply and let dry. I could probably even clean off the oil pan with some orange glow and a shamwow

Yea I kinda figured it would be big money to have someone do it. I took it to Midas just for the heck of it and they wanted $900. The car is not worth putting that kind of money into it so I'm going to try the JB weld. It can't hurt anything because the pan would still need to be replaced anyway. Even if it doesn't totally stop the leak, Ill just continue to leave a sheet of plywood on the driveway to keep it clean, and just keep dumping oil in it every time I get gas until I find somewhere cheap to get it replaced. $900 can buy an awful lot of oil.

Comment

+09823769276 on jb weld, done it a few times myself on vehicles with shittascially difficult oil pans
                    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                    95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Update

It has been a couple of weeks since I put the JB weld on the oil pan, and I am happy to say that it totally stopped the leak. I used a product by JB weld called JB Stik. I thought that regular JB weld might want to sag and drip off once applied to the oil pan, so I found this JB stik that is like a putty. You kneed it together and flatten it like a pancake and push it on. I wire wheeled the pan, cleaned it with some brake cleaner, pushed the JB Stik on, and let it dry a few hours and the leak is fixed. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

quick steel at walmart is also good.. i suggest everyone buy a stick and put it in the glovebox.
                        Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by LTD86 View Post
                          It has been a couple of weeks since I put the JB weld on the oil pan, and I am happy to say that it totally stopped the leak. I used a product by JB weld called JB Stik. I thought that regular JB weld might want to sag and drip off once applied to the oil pan, so I found this JB stik that is like a putty. You kneed it together and flatten it like a pancake and push it on. I wire wheeled the pan, cleaned it with some brake cleaner, pushed the JB Stik on, and let it dry a few hours and the leak is fixed. Thanks for the advice!
                          That's truly incredible.
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Working...
                          X