No announcement yet.

351 Cleveland swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah actually. It was horrendous. I check against the usage with the trip odometer, and that's what the numbers translated out to. Highway it does decently, but in the city it's bad..really REALLY bad. Which is even stranger because the distances/grades I travel in the city aren't very stop/go intensive, nor long or steep.

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
    I've heard 351c's were horrible on gas, but 7mpg is also horrible (do you get that with your CFI?)
    1984 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Daily Driver)
    1979 Ford LTD-S (Project)

Comment

Originally posted by flyb0t View Post
      Yeah actually. It was horrendous. I check against the usage with the trip odometer, and that's what the numbers translated out to. Highway it does decently, but in the city it's bad..really REALLY bad. Which is even stranger because the distances/grades I travel in the city aren't very stop/go intensive, nor long or steep.
      i may take a trip down soon if your game
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Hard to say what a 351C would get in town but I doubt it would be less than 7mpg. I used to get 13-15mpg on the highway with a 4V Cleveland, C6 trans, and 3.00 gears.

Comment

Well turns out this engine is my corner now, it hasn't been given to me as of yet, but from what I am told it's essentially ours. Now, the question is, how much of a rebuild is gonna be necessary in order to turn out some pretty decent numbers? And, in addition to that, what kind of oil pan will bolt up properly? This is beginning to sound like something that is gonna hop into the 79 LTD, if this avenue pans out with a moderate price number.
          1984 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (Daily Driver)
          1979 Ford LTD-S (Project)

Comment

Originally posted by flyb0t View Post
            Well turns out this engine is my corner now, it hasn't been given to me as of yet, but from what I am told it's essentially ours. Now, the question is, how much of a rebuild is gonna be necessary in order to turn out some pretty decent numbers? And, in addition to that, what kind of oil pan will bolt up properly?
            I freshened up Clevelands using factory pistons and new rings with just a light cylinder hone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
              I freshened up Clevelands using factory pistons and new rings with just a light cylinder hone.
              That was my plan with my Ranchero until I realized about half of the pistons had cracks where the skirts had collapsed. Check those carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by PushnFords View Post
                That was my plan with my Ranchero until I realized about half of the pistons had cracks where the skirts had collapsed. Check those carefully.
                I have had over a dozen Cleveland 4V and probably half as many 2V motors apart and never found a cracked skirt.
                What year Ranchero? Was this an actual 351C or a 351M?

Comment

Working...
                X