No announcement yet.

Auto Rx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its called neglect. That's what happens when you never change the oil.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      Its called neglect. That's what happens when you never change the oil.
      So then, back to my original point??? Haven't had my engine apart so can't say, fro sure, but when looking through the oil input, the lifters look VERY clean. Car runs well but can't attest to the rest without pulling pans, etc...

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Chances are if your rocker area is nice and clean, your engine is clean inside. The more often you change the oil in these engines, the better it is. Also, low RPM is a factor too. Just look inside marine engines.

Comment

I haven't changed the dino oil in the Suzuki in 13,000 miles. Can still see through it.

Also, I don't recommend Seafoam in the engine. My truck never had any lower end noise before I used that garbage. All that built up crud keeps things quiet.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            Chances are if your rocker area is nice and clean, your engine is clean inside. The more often you change the oil in these engines, the better it is. Also, low RPM is a factor too. Just look inside marine engines.
            My rocker area looked almost brand new... the pan was caked however. splain that lucy

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Because all oil breaks down. Having some in the pan is typical, no? lol. The old engine from my mark VI, now that was caked...with black burnt sludge everywhere. Ended up clogging the oil rings.

Comment

but neglect was not an issue that caused it in mine. Proper maintenance was always done with it.

The point is that sometimes, proper maintenance isn't enough. Sometimes you need to use "product" to de-gunk the thing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I think climate and oil type/weight make a larger difference than most people think. SBFs have a weak PCV system and the blocks have been known to "sweat" and hold the moisture. I have also had plenty of experience repairing blown intake to head gaskets. Some of my "units" were replaced two or three times while owned by the NCHP. No telling how much they might leak internally before they blow the antifreeze outside. All considered, I still love driving and owning these old sleds!! Combustion gases entering the crankcase for any reason weakens the oil and changes it's chemical make up. Anyone had a 7200 VV equipped car run too rich? for any length of time?? I don't buy the snake oil anymore but I don't throw rocks at those folks who do.

Comment

Additional thought, who knows how often oil manufactures change their formulas and/or base oil suppliers. EPA has gotten involved with how much phosphorus and zddp can be used in the oil. Your "great motor oil product" might suck in less than 6 to 10 months as the formulas change. I no longer use Havoline, Quaker State, or private label suppliers based on my personal findings.

Comment

It could also be the high mileage oil I was using in the 93 vic. The weird part is that all the crud was in the pan. There was NO sludge in the top end of the engine. The short block was still in GREAT shape too (no grooves in the cylinder walls at 200K miles). Scott may still have that if he hasn't scrapped it yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X