Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinistral View Post
    thanks. checking out ebay now.

another quick question: looking for a dash cover-- appears to be two options... what is a "light sensor"?
    if you have automatic headlights w/delay the sensor for them lives there.
    1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
    1994 MGM GS Montigua
    2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

learn something new (about this car) every day

Originally posted by rick99601 View Post
      if you have automatic headlights w/delay the sensor for them lives there.
      cool... wonder if i've got that? (i'll have to look tonight when i get home).

still need to find some basic info online i suppose since i don't have the manual (none on ebay currently).

mine is a grand marquis LS colony park... were all colony parks "LS" or does that designate an optional package? i assume "colony park" is the wagon designation for the grand marquis?

cheers.

Comment

If you've got ATC (automatic temperature control) your floor heat issue is probably the 'thermal lockout', it'll be on one of the heater hoses, a wire and a coupla vacuum lines.

Take a look here: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...=&_trksid=m270

I've got the body/chassis/electrical, it's helped a bit, and the electrical/vacuum troubleshooting, which has been invaluable to me.

LS is the premium package and Colony Park is indeed the wagon version of the Grand Marquis.

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

outstanding... thanks, pete!

just scored both manuals on ebay for the price of a haynes.

i'll have to take a look at the heater hoses / vacuum lines... wonder if that is the source of the slight hissing sound i hear at idle.

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
          If you've got ATC (automatic temperature control) your floor heat issue is probably the 'thermal lockout', it'll be on one of the heater hoses, a wire and a coupla vacuum lines.

Take a look here: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...=&_trksid=m270

I've got the body/chassis/electrical, it's helped a bit, and the electrical/vacuum troubleshooting, which has been invaluable to me.

LS is the premium package and Colony Park is indeed the wagon version of the Grand Marquis.

Pete

Comment

we need pics!
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

The sensor would be underneath a perforated hole just to the left of the center of the steering wheel on top of the dash board...the headlight switch surround would also indicate if you have auto lamps. Would have a black surround with some delay markings on it.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Wagons FTW!
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

cool, i do have automatic lights (and they work)!

i scored a headlight bezel / turn signal from the bone yard along w/ an armrest lamp lens.

also found a "hubcap" for the wheelbolts, though it has the ford logo instead of mercury... still need two more for a complete set.

here are a couple of pix (remember, this is a project car).

[ATTACH]25652[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25653[/ATTACH]

my ebay manuals haven't arrived yet-- can anyone shed some light about best practices for removing the dash radio/temp console in order to install a stereo? hoping to do so tomorrow.

happy new year, all.

Comment

cool, i do have automatic lights (and they work)!

i scored a headlight bezel / turn signal from the bone yard along w/ an armrest lamp lens.

also found a "hubcap" for the wheelbolts, though it has the ford logo instead of mercury... still need two more for a complete set.

here are a couple of pix (remember, this is a project car).

[ATTACH]25652[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25653[/ATTACH]

my ebay manuals haven't arrived yet-- can anyone shed some light about best practices for removing the dash radio/temp console in order to install a stereo? hoping to do so tomorrow.

happy new year, all.
                    sure thing mainly its just unscrew lots of srews and the center peice pops off, you just have to look around it and under it and make sure you dont miss any after you get that off youll need a tiny socket not sure what size 8 or mayb ea 5.5 to get the retaining screws out that hold the deck in after that it pretty much cut and dry install deck and voila howeve if you can get a pic of it it would make explaining it easier
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

watch this video it should help, however if you have a common ground and a factory amp DO NOT use any speaker wires, run your own. the deck i installed in the vid i blew up becuase it backfed or something.it was a very expensive lesson in panther stereo wiring. the only wires you need to worry about are the switched power, the constant power(battery) and the ground( ground to metal frame)i suggest running your own speaker wires and such it takes alittle longer to do, but in the end it will make your project alot easier to do
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Your best bet for manuals is the Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual and the original service manuals for your car from Ford. They can be had on ebay for not much money.
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

war wagon FTW! lol it looks worse than it is i supose, looks like a solid car. you plan on redoing the woodgrain?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

They do make ones with the Merc center but they are crazy hard to find around here (only found on '88-'91). Techically, the correct ones for your car should be red centered and were used on both Ford and Mercs 1980-87. Sounds like the ones you found are 88-91 Ford ones.

I found nice unfaded red ones on ebay. Took some time to find good ones at a decent price but it can be done. The red centers fade bad.

YAY WAGON! Where are you from?
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

i'll have to take a look at the heater hoses / vacuum lines... wonder if that is the source of the slight hissing sound i hear at idle.
                              If the hissing sounds like its coming from under the dash, its likely the parking brake auto-release vacuum switch, attached to the steering column. If that's the case, pull the black hose and plug it, or fix it
                              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                              sigpic
                              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

speaking of hissing i got to get rid of my thermacator system. It junk that shouldn't have been on the car in the first place you can really here it suck air through the hose when you give it gas. Better plug it up or eliminate the smog pump and all its bullshit stuff. Less crap under my hood for the win.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                                -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                                1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Working...
                                X