new to the club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"thermacator" ??

...so after spending hours pouring over wiring diagrams, i've decided to take zoomie's advice and just wire my own d@mn speaker wires this weekend. went ahead and picked up an aftermarket amp, too, to avoid this "common ground" nonsense.

(maybe i'll throw this OEM "premium sound" head unit and factory amp on ebay to recoup some expenses... think there's a market or are these a dime-a-dozen?).

a couple of other basic questions after spending some time on this very helpful site looking at various threads:

---does my tailgate fold down in addition to swing out? how so?

---did i read something about air shocks and auto leveling for loads?

(i learn something new about this car every time i log on here!).

Comment

Dear Panthers,

The tailgate folds flat if the tailgate window is down.

Donald McCaig
      1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

yea, you can drop the tail gate, when the window is down. then you use the handle from the inside. depending on the condition of the tailgate hardwear, it might be a bit sticky. auto load leveling was an option but, you can get a manual fill set of air bags/air shocks for around $100. this makes a world of difference if you are loading/hauling anything

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by yucatecd View Post
          The tailgate folds flat if the tailgate window is down.
          hmm, so that must be it. only tried once, but the window didn't go quite all the way down-- maybe an inch was still above, so hatch opened swingaway.

guess i need to add 'tearing apart tailgate' to the to-do list.

Comment

if you can pull up on the inside handle, the window is down enough. you just have to pull back on the tailgate. other than that, how it works? its just a rod with a hook on it that hangs bellow the window. when the window is fully down, it pulls down the rod, unlocking the inside handle.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

interesting... i'll have to try again. i definitely used the inside handle, as i was testing to see if it worked. wasn't sure whether to expect the gate to drop down or swing out, but it swung. i'll give it a yank in the downward direction tonight and see what happens.

Comment

Wagons suck.

j/k
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

welcome to gmn mang I might be by the denver area in march me and my girl friend are driving up from new mexico she lives down there maybe be we could meet up or a flyby just a thought

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

gas

so what's the capacity of the gas tank? 18 or 20 gallons?

also, at what point does the low fuel idiot light turn on?

thanks.

Comment

one more

what was the stock horsepower listed for an '85 CP?
                      (only offered w/ the 302, right?)

Comment

Not sure about the tank, I think it's 20 gallons for the wagons, not sure. And the low fuel light depends on the car. Mine comes on at about a little before E.

Comment

20.5 or 21 for a wagon, 19.5 for a sedan IIRC.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Depends. My '87 wagon came with a 18 gallon tank, the '79 with a 20 gallon. The '87 P72 seems to have an 18 gallon tank as well, but I've never run it dry to test it. If they'd asked me, they would have put 25-gallon tanks in all models for all years, but they didn't ask me.
                            Last edited by 1987cp; 01-26-2011, 11:10 AM.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

My red car had a dented tank (someone had picked the car up with a forklift at one time).

The low fuel light came on a few seconds before the engine started stumbling, due to the decreased capacity.

When the light came on, it was literally, 'oh shit, I am out of gas....'
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I can drive for a couple days when the light comes on in my 91, but the needle is well above E...
                                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                                sigpic
                                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                                X